Fayetteville Tigers vs Summertown's Eagles

Varo

I would agree with you 100% about the coaching and work the Fayetteville staff have invested in these young men.  They have taken student athletes that otherwise would not have sniffed the playing field in a much larger program/school like LC, save maybe one or two outstanding players, and taken them to playoff rounds in 2 of the 3 years of the program.

Using your same argument, LCHS should disband completely and let all the previous high schools (that consolidated to form LCHS) crank up their own football programs so that more kids could play football...but not have opportunities for auto shop, machine shop and other vocational programs that a large school can afford...but you'll still spend more tax money to do it, since you'll need more teachers, principals, janitors, etc. 

Think about it...when the Fayetteville City Council voted to form their own city school system (never mind that LCHS wasn't overcrowded at the time), who really benefited?  Folks who deal in finance and folks who deal in real estate.  Now, what are the professions of the folks on the city council?  Hmmmm....

Using your same argument, LCHS should disband completely and let all the previous high schools (that consolidated to form LCHS) crank up their own football programs so that more kids could play football...but not have opportunities for auto shop, machine shop and other vocational programs that a large school can afford...but you'll still spend more tax money to do it, since you'll need more teachers, principals, janitors, etc. 

Think about it...when the Fayetteville City Council voted to form their own city school system (never mind that LCHS wasn't overcrowded at the time), who really benefited?  Folks who deal in finance and folks who deal in real estate.  Now, what are the professions of the folks on the city council?  Hmmmm....

The kids are the main beneficiaries.  For example, my son is the kicker at FHS, and was selected as preseason Class 1A all-state kicker.  He's had a pretty good run at FHS, and has quite a few schools showing interest, with several offers already under his belt.  LCHS also has a great kicker, who trains with my son and is at a similar talent level, and also has several offers under his belt.  Both are seniors.  If both were at LCHS, then only one would be seeing much playing time, depriving the other talented kid from the opportunity to scholarship in and compete at the next level.  Secondly, while FHS does not yet offer shop class or quite as many other vocational classes, the college prep academic level at FHS is much higher.  Last year, FHS had an athlete who won the Ingram Scholar award at Vanderbilt. Care to guess how many LCHS graduates have won that prestigious scholarship award? None.  I have had children in both schools, and while I do think LCHS is a good school, I do believe there is more opportunities for more kids by having a separate city high school. More academic choices, and more athletic opportunities as well.  At the end of the day, as much as we all like to talk football and championships, the school systems are, and should always be, about making our kids champions in the game of life...and it doesn't hurt that the Tigers are headed to the playoffs again, for the 4th time in their 5 year existence.

• Upvote 1

The kids are the main beneficiaries. For example, my son is the kicker at FHS, and was selected as preseason Class 1A all-state kicker. He's had a pretty good run at FHS, and has quite a few schools showing interest, with several offers already under his belt. LCHS also has a great kicker, who trains with my son and is at a similar talent level, and also has several offers under his belt. Both are seniors. If both were at LCHS, then only one would be seeing much playing time, depriving the other talented kid from the opportunity to scholarship in and compete at the next level. Secondly, while FHS does not yet offer shop class or quite as many other vocational classes, the college prep academic level at FHS is much higher. Last year, FHS had an athlete who won the Ingram Scholar award at Vanderbilt. Care to guess how many LCHS graduates have won that prestigious scholarship award? None. I have had children in both schools, and while I do think LCHS is a good school, I do believe there is more opportunities for more kids by having a separate city high school. More academic choices, and more athletic opportunities as well. At the end of the day, as much as we all like to talk football and championships, the school systems are, and should always be, about making our kids champions in the game of life...and it doesn't hurt that the Tigers are headed to the playoffs again, for the 4th time in their 5 year existence.

Good post..... I like "school choice".

• Upvote 1