Dobyns Bennett at Science Hill

DBGRAD70

I agree WacoJaco. According to the paper today SH put up 602 yards on the DB defense last night. The quarterback had 429 by himself. If DB had that much trouble with SH I really think they will struggle with Smyrna. Not to mention that's a long bus ride. I think Smyrna will win by 30+.

Good luck next week.looking at the brackets,both teams will have the two best teams in the state waiting in round 2

You have to give a lot of credit to the Science HIll coaches and players.   The team has steadily improved over the season and has looked very good in the past few games.  Looks like a different team that played Boone and Hardin Valley.   The improvement of the QB and the passing game has been outstanding.  Adams was 20 of 21 against Jeff County.  As SH proved last night you don't have to throw it 30 times a game you just have to make the other team respect the passing game a little bit.  Of course, by the end of the game DB had the whole team in the box and still couldn't stop the running attack.  

I was surprised but it seemed to me that Science Hill had a lot more overall speed than DB.  

Hopefully the Toppers can execute like this next week.

You have to give a lot of credit to the Science HIll coaches and players.   The team has steadily improved over the season and has looked very good in the past few games.  Looks like a different team that played Boone and Hardin Valley.   The improvement of the QB and the passing game has been outstanding.  Adams was 20 of 21 against Jeff County.  As SH proved last night you don't have to throw it 30 times a game you just have to make the other team respect the passing game a little bit.  Of course, by the end of the game DB had the whole team in the box and still couldn't stop the running attack.  

I was surprised but it seemed to me that Science Hill had a lot more overall speed than DB.  

Hopefully the Toppers can execute like this next week.

I don't know, seemed like DB was always out of position to make a play on defense. Looked like DB had plenty enough speed on the offense side of the ball. The defense looked like they were lost on every play. Like you had gone out and picked up some guys around the neighborhood and said lets go play Science Hill tonight. Clark was quoted in the paper saying "Scoring 35 points is not the worst night, but sometimes you have to score more". Like they haven't even thought about playing defense. This has gone past crazy. Maybe if they put those sky boxes in the upper deck it will fix everything. I think that may be whats got everything off kilter.

I don't know, seemed like DB was always out of position to make a play on defense. Looked like DB had plenty enough speed on the offense side of the ball. The defense looked like they were lost on every play. Like you had gone out and picked up some guys around the neighborhood and said lets go play Science Hill tonight. Clark was quoted in the paper saying "Scoring 35 points is not the worst night, but sometimes you have to score more". Like they haven't even thought about playing defense. This has gone past crazy. Maybe if they put those sky boxes in the upper deck it will fix everything. I think that may be whats got everything off kilter.

have to agree that there were quite a few plays where the QB was in the second level untouched.  But once he got there i didn't see anyone who was going to run him down.  On the first long run #5 for sh made a great play blocking the defensive back for what seemed like 10 seconds as the qb ran past.  #3 and several of the wide receivers blocked well down field all night.  Those are the plays that don't go in the stat sheet but win football games.  Goes back to the whole team buying in and doing their jobs! 

I thought the game would be closer but science hill has several really really good football players who could play on any team in the state and they all played great last night.

No need for DB fans to worry  - after all Graham Clark is still 19-5 against Science Hill!  Pretty darn good if you ask me

have to agree that there were quite a few plays where the QB was in the second level untouched.  But once he got there i didn't see anyone who was going to run him down.  On the first long run #5 for sh made a great play blocking the defensive back for what seemed like 10 seconds as the qb ran past.  #3 and several of the wide receivers blocked well down field all night.  Those are the plays that don't go in the stat sheet but win football games.  Goes back to the whole team buying in and doing their jobs! 

I thought the game would be closer but science hill has several really really good football players who could play on any team in the state and they all played great last night.

No need for DB fans to worry  - after all Graham Clark is still 19-5 against Science Hill!  Pretty darn good if you ask me

Clark will never beat Science Hill again. I'd bet the farm on it. I'd bet half the farm he never has another season above 500. He's done but hasn't figured it out yet. Some coaches don't know when to quit. Could go out a hero but go out a zero. And the zero is all anybody remembers.

tnreb, I'm not sure SH has more team speed than DB. SH as a team played well last night but Adams simply went off, and usually when a player does that there's very little the other team can do about it. I've seen it time and again where one player just takes over and the other team just don't have an answer. I think DB was just taken by surprise in regards to Adams. Earlier in the week GC made a comment in the paper about being concerned about the SH running backs, Watterson and Mackie. He didn't mention anything about the quarterback. Which leads me to believe he wasn't all that worried about him. And when he and his staff saw that Adams was going to be a major problem last night it was already too late. Adams and the rest of the SH team foubd their groove and DB just couldn't stop them. Who knows what would've happened if DB had come out and stacked the box from the beginning and forced Adams to throw it. Like you said, he's only really started to come on over the last 2-3 weeks. And even then he hasn't been forced to use his arm much. Stacy Carter said in the paper today that they're still looking for consistency from him. And in order for SH to take that next step he's going to have to do that. I will agree that he looks much improved from when the season started. And another off season and I think he's going to be a real weapon next year. He really does look a lot like Malik McGue did when McGue used to take off with the ball.

I remember several years ago at a football banquet when coach Carter had just taken the SH job.GC made a smart remark while speaking about how he would beat him there the same as he had against South.He did win the first two or three matchups.That's the same time I was writing that SH was the team I thought would have a chance in this area to beat DB down the road the most.I knew SH was making changes and DB needed to in a few area's.DB needed a change at the top and I dare not say it because of what could happen in retaliation.Well,I should have a long time ago and maybe mine and this group would have had someone they wanted to play for and respect the way DB players once did Clark.The price has been paid by the many kids that grew up wanting to play for DB and have a chance to be a part of something special.There have been many pay the price besides the kids as I've also said .Now the tax payers join in @ 10000 more for each round of the playoffs.With Maryville,Blackman and Oakland in the 3 rounds coming up,my prediction of a state title several years ago with " a few changes " looks as likely as GC never having a smartas remark. It's possible but not likely.

Maybe you need to get rid of the jumbo tron, field house, upper deck and the band and start all over. Not trying to be mean …  just saying. 

The downward spiral that DB football has been in all started when the field house was first planed. A lot of people don't know or don't remember but that all started from something that was a little less than truthful. A trick you might say, and the school board and City of Kingsport fell for it hook line and sinker. 

I remember several years ago at a football banquet when coach Carter had just taken the SH job.GC made a smart remark while speaking about how he would beat him there the same as he had against South.He did win the first two or three matchups.That's the same time I was writing that SH was the team I thought would have a chance in this area to beat DB down the road the most.I knew SH was making changes and DB needed to in a few area's.DB needed a change at the top and I dare not say it because of what could happen in retaliation.Well,I should have a long time ago and maybe mine and this group would have had someone they wanted to play for and respect the way DB players once did Clark.The price has been paid by the many kids that grew up wanting to play for DB and have a chance to be a part of something special.There have been many pay the price besides the kids as I've also said .Now the tax payers join in @ 10000 more for each round of the playoffs.With Maryville,Blackman and Oakland in the 3 rounds coming up,my prediction of a state title several years ago with " a few changes " looks as likely as GC never having a smartas remark. It's possible but not likely.

I think you are right about the lack of respect. I also think no one in Kingsport believes Graham has what it takes. I think it would be best of he had a change of scenery. South or Central or many other local schools would love to have him, but he has been at DB to long. DB needs a fresh start and someone that can energize the kids and the fanbase.

I think you all are right. Would not only be in the DB football programs best interest but maybe even GC as well. Sometimes it's better for both parties to just go their separate ways. GC has done a lot of great things over there in Kingsport but it's become increasingly clear he's worn out his welcome. I do believe he cares a lot about DB and wants what's best for the program. I really do. I just think it's hard for him to walk away from something he's been apart of for so long. He should retire and enjoy himself and his family. Give someone else an opportunity at DB.

I think you all are right. Would not only be in the DB football programs best interest but maybe even GC as well. Sometimes it's better for both parties to just go their separate ways. GC has done a lot of great things over there in Kingsport but it's become increasingly clear he's worn out his welcome. I do believe he cares a lot about DB and wants what's best for the program. I really do. I just think it's hard for him to walk away from something he's been apart of for so long. He should retire and enjoy himself and his family. Give someone else an opportunity at DB.

I used to think that he cares about the team, the program, and the school. He took responsibility for poorly played games. Not anymore. So what does that say? He has a chance to prove it right now. He should get behind a search for his replacement. Starting right now. No waiting for playoffs to conclude.