East TN Coaching Changes

SGHSAlum93

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a perfect example of one of the issues at West. From day one, the Head Coach has dealt with the lack of support from some of the other coaches. Sure they were there and coaching, but it was easy to identify that they did not fully support the coach. The players seen it and knew as well. Sure the Head Coach could have came in there and approached it a little differently, however, if he doesn't have the support of the staff it will make being a good coach at any school difficult. I have seen them play and agree there are some decision making issues but if you believe that is the only issue that West has, you are rather blind or part of the problem. I honestly think it would be best for both the Head Coach and West to part ways. I do enjoy how you rant and make it seem as though coaches from lower division schools are so clueless to how offenses and defenses should be ran. If someone told you Cummings was a bad coach and Cleveland should let him go, you would most likely call them crazy, even if the 2 seasons he has had with them has been worse than those going all the way back to 2011. I am by no means calling Cummings a bad coach, he was a great fit at West and I believe things will get better at Cleveland for him, there are some athletes coming up in the future years. Watching West play, it is easy to see that they have lacked some strength and movement on the offensive line and injuries have hurt them tremendously. Is this an excuse to have any type of poor game management or bad decision making not at all. If the Head Coach decided to use the best players to build offense first and leave the others to build the defense, would they have been as good? This is also not to try and take anything from the other coaches, because there are some great coaches on staff, and maybe it would have made more sense to try and hire within to keep the support of the players, other coaches, and the community. I do believe that the time is near, where you will be able to log on and comment on the next West coach and how you think that one was also a poor hire, especially if it isn't one of the previous coaches, that was part of the championship team. As I said before, I believe it would benefit both if the Head Coach could find another coaching position and West could be on the look out for a coach that could get the full support of the staff, players, and community. I do understand why you are upset and do not blame you one bit. Watching West get a championship only to be followed up by shameful seasons angers me as well. I hate it for the kids that have worked so hard, only to see what they help build crumble. I am just trying to be more reasonable and see it with open eyes instead of a bias.

Interesting post. I normally sit back and just read on the happenings of high school football here Knoxville. I am an actual West supporter and have been for years. I have sat through many terrible football seasons at Bill Wilson Field. This past season was one of the most disappointing I have ever witnessed.

You make a point in your post that I am curious about. What players would you have used to build the offense around? I saw a few kids going both ways this year. A lot more than years past. In my opinion, the best athlete on the team was rarely utilized(#2).

I can't speak on the lack of support from assistant coaches because I am not that deeply involved. Maybe you can speak on that further because you seem to have great insight into the current issues at West. I do know the majority of them and I think very highly of the ones that I do know.

I could care less where a guy comes from as long as he can get things done. There was so much confusion on the field this year that it was ridiculous. Looked like a train wreck! The delay of game penalties or wasting of timeouts because you can't get a play in. It has been awhile since the special teams have been this atrocious.

I have no idea what the future holds at West, I just know that I feel bad for the kids. If you think this past football team had 4-6 talent then we will agree to disagree. Regardless, I will be sitting in the stands next year in August cheering on the Rebels and my grandson.

Edited by WestObserver

This is a perfect example of one of the issues at West. From day one, the Head Coach has dealt with the lack of support from some of the other coaches. Sure they were there and coaching, but it was easy to identify that they did not fully support the coach. The players seen it and knew as well. Sure the Head Coach could have came in there and approached it a little differently, however, if he doesn't have the support of the staff it will make being a good coach at any school difficult. I have seen them play and agree there are some decision making issues but if you believe that is the only issue that West has, you are rather blind or part of the problem. I honestly think it would be best for both the Head Coach and West to part ways. I do enjoy how you rant and make it seem as though coaches from lower division schools are so clueless to how offenses and defenses should be ran. If someone told you Cummings was a bad coach and Cleveland should let him go, you would most likely call them crazy, even if the 2 seasons he has had with them has been worse than those going all the way back to 2011. I am by no means calling Cummings a bad coach, he was a great fit at West and I believe things will get better at Cleveland for him, there are some athletes coming up in the future years. Watching West play, it is easy to see that they have lacked some strength and movement on the offensive line and injuries have hurt them tremendously. Is this an excuse to have any type of poor game management or bad decision making not at all. If the Head Coach decided to use the best players to build offense first and leave the others to build the defense, would they have been as good? This is also not to try and take anything from the other coaches, because there are some great coaches on staff, and maybe it would have made more sense to try and hire within to keep the support of the players, other coaches, and the community. I do believe that the time is near, where you will be able to log on and comment on the next West coach and how you think that one was also a poor hire, especially if it isn't one of the previous coaches, that was part of the championship team. As I said before, I believe it would benefit both if the Head Coach could find another coaching position and West could be on the look out for a coach that could get the full support of the staff, players, and community. I do understand why you are upset and do not blame you one bit. Watching West get a championship only to be followed up by shameful seasons angers me as well. I hate it for the kids that have worked so hard, only to see what they help build crumble. I am just trying to be more reasonable and see it with open eyes instead of a bias.

I have nothing personally against the head coach in fact I was one of the most optimistic of the hire. Was I rooting for one of the assistants that wanted the job to get it? Of course bc they helped my kid become a great player as well as others and helped them get championship rings to boot.

When the hire was made many parents, fans, and players were disappointed not with the man that was hired but bc of the previous coach leaving so abruptly after winning a championship and being a graduate of West. The remaining assistants were left to be there for those kids who were devastated even the ones who were graduating like my own.

I reassured other parents that still had kids on the team that this coach has been successful and with the talent coming back and the alignment of new regions, West should continue to compete for State. Unfortunately things didn't work out that way and I agree it's a combination of things and a parting of ways would be the best solution.

If a new coach is hired whether it's from within or out...I will support them 100% bc I am WestHigh4Life.

Interesting post. I normally sit back and just read on the happenings of high school football here Knoxville. I am an actual West supporter and have been for years. I have sat through many terrible football seasons at Bill Wilson Field. This past season was one of the most disappointing I have ever witnessed.

You make a point in your post that I am curious about. What players would you have used to build the offense around? I saw a few kids going both ways this year. A lot more than years past. In my opinion, the best athlete on the team was rarely utilized(#2).

I can't speak on the lack of support from assistant coaches because I am not that deeply involved. Maybe you can speak on that further because you seem to have great insight into the current issues at West. I do know the majority of them and I think very highly of the ones that I do know.

I could care less where a guy comes from as long as he can get things done. There was so much confusion on the field this year that it was ridiculous. Looked like a train wreck! The delay of game penalties or wasting of timeouts because you can't get a play in. It has been awhile since the special teams have been this atrocious.

I have no idea what the future holds at West, I just know that I feel bad for the kids. If you think this past football team had 4-6 talent then we will agree to disagree. Regardless, I will be sitting in the stands next year in August cheering on the Rebels and my grandson.

Agree 1000% percent with this post. I also could care less where a coach comes from whether its a smaller or bigger school. The one thing that should be considered is that West is such a diversified school and you have kids from different backgrounds. If your not used to coaching players like this you should use your assistants who have been there and built relationships with them to communicate what your goals and objectives are.

The penalties, using/not using timeouts, confusion among the players on offense was disheartening to watch. This team deserved better than 4-6 but it is what it is and I hope for nothing but the best for the players returning.

I have nothing personally against the head coach in fact I was one of the most optimistic of the hire. Was I rooting for one of the assistants that wanted the job to get it? Of course bc they helped my kid become a great player as well as others and helped them get championship rings to boot.

When the hire was made many parents, fans, and players were disappointed not with the man that was hired but bc of the previous coach leaving so abruptly after winning a championship and being a graduate of West. The remaining assistants were left to be there for those kids who were devastated even the ones who were graduating like my own.

I reassured other parents that still had kids on the team that this coach has been successful and with the talent coming back and the alignment of new regions, West should continue to compete for State. Unfortunately things didn't work out that way and I agree it's a combination of things and a parting of ways would be the best solution.

If a new coach is hired whether it's from within or out...I will support them 100% bc I am WestHigh4Life.

I know the assistants were left there to help with transition, but it still left a bad taste in some mouths. But you are a rare breed. From all levels of football, people tend to be a little less understanding than yourself, when it comes to hiring a coach that people didn't want as a replacement. Hiring Coach Jones at Tennessee is a good example of that, fans were so upset that Tennessee didn't push harder for Gruden. Unfortunately there aren't enough good people/fans like yourself that will try to be optimistic and fully supportive of a transition like the one that occurred at West. I have a gut feeling that after the holidays, there will be some changes made. Not saying head coaching position, but things will be adjusted. With Cummings somewhat struggles in Cleveland, I am curious if he will return in the future. I am sure the money is good in Cleveland, but his success and connection with West seems like it would be inevitable.

I doubt Cummings would come back to West but anything can happen. Cummings has complete control of the city of Cleveland football from the youth all the way up. He's loaded with talent every year at Cleveland. The thing is, getting his system set in place and he's doing that. This year they went 5-5 and at one point during the season had 20 players get hurt and also playing with the 5th string QB and still gave ooltewah and rhea all they wanted. If they could have maintained the team they had when they went up to Sevier County, they could have made a serious run. All the pieces are at Cleve and he runs the whole show. Not to mention he's getting paid big cheese lol. But has far as him coming back to west anything could happen but I just don't see it. At least not anytime soon. And I'll add too that at Cleveland, Allan Jones whom I'm sure y'all know who he is, will fork out some cash so money isn't a big deal.

Edited by fooseball95

I doubt he would either, but some people have their school colors run very deep in their veins lol. I don't want it to sound like any of the assistant coaches came in there and shot the head coach the middle finger or anything like that. They are great coaches and great people. So I want to clarify that. I guess a small example (not as extreme) would be Remember the Titans with Coach Boone and Coach Yoast, and I don't mean the racial tension or anything like that. Game management was a big problem and that falls on the head coach and the communication with other coaches. If he is given another year, I hope the coaches have some kind of sit down to figure out how to get the most out of these players and each other. If things start to click it could be a good year. I am hopeful however, that regardless of the future changes that west will do much better next year.

I doubt he would either, but some people have their school colors run very deep in their veins lol. I don't want it to sound like any of the assistant coaches came in there and shot the head coach the middle finger or anything like that. They are great coaches and great people. So I want to clarify that. I guess a small example (not as extreme) would be Remember the Titans with Coach Boone and Coach Yoast, and I don't mean the racial tension or anything like that. Game management was a big problem and that falls on the head coach and the communication with other coaches. If he is given another year, I hope the coaches have some kind of sit down to figure out how to get the most out of these players and each other. If things start to click it could be a good year. I am hopeful however, that regardless of the future changes that west will do much better next year.

Regardless, I hope they are already meeting and planning for the upcoming season. I think it is imperative that these guys get on the same page moving forward!

Regardless, I hope they are already meeting and planning for the upcoming season. I think it is imperative that these guys get on the same page moving forward!

Me too, a nice coaches bonding experience to help them find a common ground would do wonders. I also don't mean for it to sound like all the assistants need to give in and the Head Coach not listen at all either, for them to be successful he needs to hear them out as well (not saying either side completely ignores the other) because those coaches have been around and know them kids and have for a while. This could be said for any head coach taking over a program. For a smooth transition a head coach needs the help of assistants to be able to communicate with the players and community. Then again, it is easy to say this or that needs to be done, being a coach in the stands!!

I've been a East Tennessee Football fan for nearly fifty years and I can remember when West High resembled the Karns Beavers program for many years. I had been to many games there in those years you could hand count all the people in the stands on the West side and many of those times the kids in the band outnumbered the fans. Scott Cummings did a job of a lifetime there in bringing that program out of the bowels of H E L L. I watched West scrimmage Maryville just before the season and gave them all they could handle in a game type setting and they also did the same with Alcoa in a scrimmage. i thought West would be back in the thick of everything come playoff time this year and to my surprise they would be the biggest disappointment along with Oak Ridge for 2016 around this area. Glad there are a few of you West fans that are on here and concerned with your program as you are because I sure would hate to see it return to the old days again after winning the championship two years ago.