Deadline for Moving Up in Classification - Official Declarations

KennyPowers55

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

out of curiosity, what is the benefit of declaring up? Travel costs? Natural rivalries?

Assuming these were all 4A schools (along with Fulton), why would you move up, especially if Catholic stays at 5a?

This is a cost issue, IMO. In Fulton's case, Jody Wright felt that they had to move, otherwise they'd end up in a small 4A region with a ton of travel; plus, they'd have to find a lot of non-region opponents, and that is easier said than done for a program like theirs. And if you look at how this is shaking out, Anderson County is in a really bad position, because they are the lone Knox-area team left in 4A, along with Union County, who may not even play football next year.

Wright said, "We felt like there was going to be so much movement from 4A to 5A, we had to make a decision. You worry about a small region. You worry about having to schedule a bunch of non-district games and a lot of travel; we felt like there was so much movement to 5A, we had no choice. We made this decision today, but we had been talking about it the past three or four days. I met with Coach (Rob) Black again today and felt like there weren’t a whole lot of options."

Edited by osunut2

Anderson County is in a really bad position, because they will either end up in a region with Greeneville/Elizabethton/Sullivan teams, the Chattanooga-area teams (Howard, East Ridge, Hixson, Chatt Central, East Ham, Sequoyah), or the plateau teams (Stone Memorial, Cumberland Co, Livingston). The only school remaining in 4A that is less than an hour away is Union County.