Unaka at Greenback

orngnblk

How is this thread still going?

I talked to a former Tennessee High assistant coach who's put in for the job at Unaka.  He's fairly young and a really bright guy and a class act.  He coached the freshmen last year and did a good job, especially with the linemen.  A lot of those kids started for the varsity this year as sophomores and that never happens at THS.  I watched him scheme things up against a really good Science Hill team in a freshman game that had their defense mystified.  He's a good one.  Kind of quiet, though.  Not a fiery guy.

This is what I dont understand my son didn't sign the forfeit letter. He refused to sign his name. He will not be not playing in another High School playoff game, he is 16. If he transfers he has to sit out a year for varsity. The Seniors who led this and the adults who done nothing to help this situation. Keep going with no true punishment. The AD got his appeal turned in his favor, (3-9 in boys basketball). The whole community and region knew the possibility of this happening, barley formed a team this past year. If Pink had been fired 2 years ago, when the 8th graders had won the state sectional. None of this crap would of taken place. When are the ADULTS going to be held accountable, yes the kids got tired of an #### beating each week. Did anyone ever see these kids quit during the season? This was all on the coaches the scheduling, no hitting during practice, the lack of recruiting from the hallways. You would think if they truly cared about these kids and the program. They wouldn't have waited for Pink to turn his resignation to start a coaching search. Come on people quit blaming the kids. The adults FAILED PERIOD!!!! They should be all punished just not the athletes....... 

This is what I dont understand my son didn't sign the forfeit letter. He refused to sign his name. He will not be not playing in another High School playoff game, he is 16. If he transfers he has to sit out a year for varsity. The Seniors who led this and the adults who done nothing to help this situation. Keep going with no true punishment. The AD got his appeal turned in his favor, (3-9 in boys basketball). The whole community and region knew the possibility of this happening, barley formed a team this past year. If Pink had been fired 2 years ago, when the 8th graders had won the state sectional. None of this crap would of taken place. When are the ADULTS going to be held accountable, yes the kids got tired of an #### beating each week. Did anyone ever see these kids quit during the season? This was all on the coaches the scheduling, no hitting during practice, the lack of recruiting from the hallways. You would think if they truly cared about these kids and the program. They wouldn't have waited for Pink to turn his resignation to start a coaching search. Come on people quit blaming the kids. The adults FAILED PERIOD!!!! They should be all punished just not the athletes.......

Great post!

How is this thread still going?

I talked to a former Tennessee High assistant coach who's put in for the job at Unaka.  He's fairly young and a really bright guy and a class act.  He coached the freshmen last year and did a good job, especially with the linemen.  A lot of those kids started for the varsity this year as sophomores and that never happens at THS.  I watched him scheme things up against a really good Science Hill team in a freshman game that had their defense mystified.  He's a good one.  Kind of quiet, though.  Not a fiery guy.

I know the former TN High assistant you're referring to.  He's really smart and has a good work ethic, but I don't know if he's charismatic enough to get kids out and get them fired up.  He likes to pound the rock and kids don't want to play like that anymore.  Good man and a good coach, though, and he's worked in tougher places than Unaka before so he knows how it is up on the creek.

I don't know who else has put in, since my source is apparently wrong about the job already being promised, but if he's interested he'd definitely be an improvement over what they've had.

The guy from Crockett is a good coach with a offensive mind. He probably will take the formula Bosken used to get Crockett turned around and going in the right direction. He's a guy who will put a ton of time into teaching the fundamentals, working hard in the weight room, getting kids out of the halls and on the field and raising money.

The guy from Crockett is a good coach with a offensive mind. He probably will take the formula Bosken used to get Crockett turned around and going in the right direction. He's a guy who will put a ton of time into teaching the fundamentals, working hard in the weight room, getting kids out of the halls and on the field and raising money.

What did the guy from Crockett do there?  How young is he, anyway?  People talk like just a kid with barely any experience.  I know nothing about him, but everything on here sounds extremely positive.

The guy from TN High has been around a few different places.  He's been a coordinator on both sides and really knows the game inside and out, plus he's a hard worker and he treats kids the right way.  I can vouch that he would be a good one for them over on the creek if he gets it.  I know him personally and talked to him about the job after seeing him described on this thread.  He's being humble, but he really wants it badly, too, and has a big master plan laid out for how he'd turn it around if he gets it.  The kids would like him.

A lot of people feel that Pittman got a raw deal at Cloudland due to politics and he has some friends in the system there.  He's likely going to be a finalist, too.  I don't know him, but his record up there wasn't bad and there's not a lot of experienced head coaches who've put in, AFAIK.

There's chatter that someone related to the Ensors might want the job, too.  No idea who, but those kind of family connections probably have some pull.

They say a Dobyns Bennett alum who recently retired from the NFL is looking to get into coaching in the area.  He's the favorite to get the job at Crockett, but I hear he may have put in at Unaka, too.  It'd be hard for them to turn him away if he wants it.

Anybody else hearing names?

The big thing that makes it hard for Unaka is matching the coach with the teaching opening at such a small school.  Pink's PE job is attractive to a lot of good coaches, though.