Losers and long travel travel....the playoffs are here!

Sundevil

Is it just me or does the TSSAA lose a lot of credibility by having so many losing teams in the playoffs and such ridiculous travel for first round games? Will it ever change? With 9 state champs on the horizon I kind of doubt it.

No need to talk about the 4 win teams when there are so many 1 win teams. Middle Tennessee teams headed to Memphis for a beating.

Geez!

What's your thoughts?

Is it just me or does the TSSAA lose a lot of credibility by having so many losing teams in the playoffs and such ridiculous travel for first round games? Will it ever change? With 9 state champs on the horizon I kind of doubt it.

No need to talk about the 4 win teams when there are so many 1 win teams. Middle Tennessee teams headed to Memphis for a beating.

Geez!

What's your thoughts?

I don't recall 1 win teams making the playoffs under the Z Plan.  Unfortunately, too many fans, coaches, and administrators could not understand it and that is the reason why we are back to the way we are with under performing teams making the playoffs simply because they play in a small and or weak region.  A team making the show with a sub 500 record with the Z Plan was a rare exception to the rule. If you must use this current format, at least modify it to where only three teams from each region make the playoffs.  Have the 3 seeds travel to the 2 seeds and the one seeds get a first round bye

Edited by ReitzFan

I don't recall 1 win teams making the playoffs under the Z Plan. Unfortunately, too many fans, coaches, and administrators could not understand it and that is the reason why we are back to the way we are with under performing teams making the playoffs simply because they play in a small and or weak region. A team making the show with a sub 500 record with the Z Plan was a rare exception to the rule. If you must use this current format, at least modify it to where only three teams from each region make the playoffs. Have the 3 seeds travel to the 2 seeds and the one seeds get a first round bye

Your plan makes too much sense so the TSSAA will never use it.

Across all EIGHT classifications, there are 47 teams with losing records in the playoffs.  6 of those teams won just 1 game, respectively.  Another 27 teams with .500 records made the playoffs.  74 of the total 123 playoff spots went to teams with .500 or worse records.  That's 60% of all playoff spots to teams with .500 or worse records.  Absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing.  What kind of message does this send to the kids? 

Edited by TheBigRedDog

It should be about accomplishments. .500 or less is not much of an accomplishment.

Depends on strength of schedule.  We finished 4th in probably the toughest region in the state.  Our record is skewed because of our strength of schedule.  I get your argument but what about teams such as ours.  Our region contains Alcoa, Scott, and CAK obviously all top 10 teams in 3-A.  Non region games include state ranked 5-A McMinn Co., and Rhea.  2-A top 5 team Meigs Co.  All losses.  We beat 2nd place team out of Chattanooga Region.  We are not world beaters but with a season like that our record does not indicate the team we are.  If we were in the Chattanooga region we could have easily been setting at a 7-3 record with no region losses.  Are we the same team, of course but our record would have told you a different story.  I have called for region crossover after first round of playoff where you avoid playing a region team after 1st round.  Come to our region and play our schedule and you may reconsider a under .500 team.   

Across all EIGHT classifications, there are 47 teams with losing records in the playoffs.  6 of those teams won just 1 game, respectively.  Another 27 teams with .500 records made the playoffs.  74 of the total 123 playoff spots went to teams with .500 or worse records.  That's 60% of all playoff spots to teams with .500 or worse records.  Absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing.  What kind of message does this send to the kids? 

Great stat work. It really highlights the money-grab that is going on here. To the one guy above that plays in the Alcoa region, your team is the exception. I have no problem with a team with a tough schedule sneaking into the playoffs with a 5-5 or 4-6 record. The problem is that too many teams are automatically granted playoff births due to the ridiculous classification system our state has. I read this morning about a team called Unaka that went 1-11 and made the playoffs. The kids elected to forfeit the game. 

If 123 teams made the playoffs that means at least 61 home games the TSSAA gets to collect attendance money for in the first round.  I wouldn't be surprised if in the coming years they change it to where every team makes the playoffs no matter what their record is, and that double elimination is implemented to really squeeze out every dime.

Great stat work. It really highlights the money-grab that is going on here. To the one guy above that plays in the Alcoa region, your team is the exception. I have no problem with a team with a tough schedule sneaking into the playoffs with a 5-5 or 4-6 record. The problem is that too many teams are automatically granted playoff births due to the ridiculous classification system our state has. I read this morning about a team called Unaka that went 1-11 and made the playoffs. The kids elected to forfeit the game. 

If 123 teams made the playoffs that means at least 61 home games the TSSAA gets to collect attendance money for in the first round.  I wouldn't be surprised if in the coming years they change it to where every team makes the playoffs no matter what their record is, and that double elimination is implemented to really squeeze out every dime.

I get the fact that T$$AA loves their cash, I have said this for years.  I look at this a little different I guess.  For those boys that love the game, go through the summer, and come up with that losing season- the seniors get a chance to suit it up one more time.  Though probably a blowout, each 1st round team is rewarded with a tune up game for that first round. I would be ok with top 3 from region with some at large teams, but there is no way that the T$$AA could govern this, or are they capable.