When are we gonna get some predictions for this year?

HCWCCoachV

Ahhhh, the coaching changes...

Yes, been hearing rumors of what may happen with Buford. What was Parkview and Archer with Beuglas will likely become Buford adding to wrestling history down there along with McEachern, Collins Hill, Pope, Powder Springs, Ringgold, Jefferson and Camden amongst others...

Love GA wrestling!!

At the Archer Duals today..... Buford missing 4 starters loses 33 - 30 to Archer in finals

• Upvote 1

You don't have to be a private school to compete with Blair....we did it in 2010: (we lost....but I'd say we competed)

Final Four Duals (PA)

Site: Easton High School (PA) 

Long Branch (Won 27 - 25)

Blair Academy (Lost 33 - 30)

Benton (Won 54 - 25)

Easton (Won 45 - 12)

Very true & St. Paris Graham is a good example of a public school that has competed well with Blair.  The problem is that very few public schools have been able to compete with Blair on a consistent basis.  How many years was Collins Hill able to compete with Blair?  Just look at where the Collins Hill program is today compared to just a few years ago.  Even St. Paris Graham has benefited from several families that have moved in to the school for wrestling.  You remove the "move in" families and the immediate family members of Jeff Jordan on the team and St. Paris Graham drops from a great team to a good high school wrestling team very quickly. 

RMC...why is it that in Georgia you will have one team on top for 5-10 years and then another school will be on top?  Do the school zones change frequently or are the rules pretty flexible and allow kids to attend school where they want for the most part?

CBG.....I think it's partly because of the growth. When I moved to town it was Parkview on my side of town that was the strong program....then Collins Hill opened where Coach Ramos built from scratch after coming from another Gwinnett school.  Then West Forsyth opened and Parkview Coach Stromie became the AD there.  When Coach Stromie left Parkview, Coach Beuglas took over and after a few years he headed to the newest Gwinnett school...Archer.  He did pretty well there reaching #5 in the country.  Now he's at Buford.  

Buford is city school that's been around quite a while.  It's known for Academics, Arts, and Athletics....and the teachers and coaches don't leave for other schools...so takes a while to get new coaches and teachers in at the school.  The Principle at Buford is Dr. Banks Bitterman….who used to coach Brookwood HS in wrestling.  I think you may see Buford good for a while.  They also have the middle school on campus so those kids can wrestle JV. One problem at Buford is that they always make the football playoffs and you don’t get those kids back until mid-December.  I think this is the 10th year in a row to make it to the state semi-finals in football.  Side note….they’ve already won Volleyball, Softball, and One Act play state championships this year.  (10th Softball state championship in a row.)

Other problem we have in GA is that the vast majority of middle school don’t have wrestling.  So you don’t really get to develop that sustained feeder program.  I helped with a club middle school team at Collins Hill and that seemed to really help. 

So , back to your question on why they seem to be good for 5 years….that may be because of permissive transfer.  If your school allows it (Collins Hill didn’t), you can live anywhere in the county and go to another county school.  So you get kids that come up through youth programs, different training centers and they all decide to go to one school.  You see that in GA for football, basketball, and other sports. You get a new school...with a known good coach and the kids will come.  

I’ll leave it with growth and coaches moving up to administrative positions and permissive transfers…..

Edited by RMC

CBG.....I think it's partly because of the growth. When I moved to town it was Parkview on my side of town that was the strong program....then Collins Hill opened where Coach Ramos built from scratch after coming from another Gwinnett school.  Then West Forsyth opened and Parkview Coach Stromie became the AD there.  When Coach Stromie left Parkview, Coach Beuglas took over and after a few years he headed to the newest Gwinnett school...Archer.  He did pretty well there reaching #5 in the country.  Now he's at Buford.  

Buford is city school that's been around quite a while.  It's known for Academics, Arts, and Athletics....and the teachers and coaches don't leave for other schools...so takes a while to get new coaches and teachers in at the school.  The Principle at Buford is Dr. Banks Bitterman….who used to coach Brookwood HS in wrestling.  I think you may see Buford good for a while.  They also have the middle school on campus so those kids can wrestle JV. One problem at Buford is that they always make the football playoffs and you don’t get those kids back until mid-December.  I think this is the 10th year in a row to make it to the state semi-finals in football.  Side note….they’ve already won Volleyball, Softball, and One Act play state championships this year.  (10th Softball state championship in a row.)

Other problem we have in GA is that the vast majority of middle school don’t have wrestling.  So you don’t really get to develop that sustained feeder program.  I helped with a club middle school team at Collins Hill and that seemed to really help. 

So , back to your question on why they seem to be good for 5 years….that may be because of permissive transfer.  If your school allows it (Collins Hill didn’t), you can live anywhere in the county and go to another county school.  So you get kids that come up through youth programs, different training centers and they all decide to go to one school.  You see that in GA for football, basketball, and other sports. You get a new school...with a known good coach and the kids will come.  

I’ll leave it with growth and coaches moving up to administrative positions and permissive transfers…..

Thanks for the info RMC!