William Blount @ Oakland- Round 1

Governm

I apologize for reading the ad.  I really don't think you know me very well.  That's why I put my phone number on here.  Message boards are not a good way to make assumptions of people.

Just know....there are a lot of good things happening at WBHS.  I think the reason many WB and HHS folk get defensive is because all they ever hear about is Maryville and Alcoa.  Yes they are great schools.  But we have just as many good students and just as many good teachers here as well.  Heck our ACT scores surpassed Alcoa last spring for the first time ever.  We have 12 AP classes.  We have kids every year that score perfect on the ACT.  Two years ago we sent kids to Yale and Penn.  Last year we sent one to Duke.  So..yes...there are WB supporters that feel like this information is not heard by the public.  

Yesterday the Advanced Ed Accreditation team finished their visit of WBHS (accreditation happens once every four years).  WBHS scored a 306 with the Advanced Ed average score being 276.  One of the members of the team said, "wow..I had no idea all of these things were happening at this school.  I just thought Maryville and Alcoa were the only good schools in Blount County."  He then stated that with everything that we offer academically from AP classes to everything we offer in the CTE building that a parent would be crazy not to send their child to WBHS.  I have always wondered why graduates of WBHS who live in the county send their kids to city schools.  I graduated from WBHS in 1989 as valedictorian and went on to have a 4.0 at Maryville College.  I am pretty sure we educate kids just fine.

The one thing we have never been able to fully do well for extended periods of time is win in male sports.  Yes we have had a few nice years, but they come few and far between.  Many feel like outsiders have a negative view of WBHS because of our male sporting teams, when sports are "extra-curricular."

I know this is a sports message board, but I just wanted to throw those things out there.  Anyway, sorry for reading the ad.  

WB has some great teachers and great students. As do all of our county's schools and Greenback. I've stated before that consolidation was the worst thing that happened to Blount county schools. For most kids, smaller community schools are better.

There are problems at WB just like there are at all schools. With the size of the school and the large distance that the students live away from the school, I feel sometimes the problems are harder to address.

Someone told me the other day that he was looking at an old WB yearbook and was really surprised to see how many former WB athletes and top 10 percent  students sent their kids to other schools. He asked why would those parents send their kids some where else?

I think its really about those parents deciding what is the best fit for their child. I think its about school culture,school size, opportunities, atmosphere, parent's own experiences, distance from schools and where their child feels the most comfortable.

Parents that have options are usually going to put their child in a situation where they will be happy and successful.

The WB bashing does seem to be growing lately, but I don't think its directed at the kids or even the teachers. I think the issues are correctable and I see a lot of hard work going on to correct some of the problems.

I agree with you post but I believe you left out one thing.  Sports.  Some parents send their kids to other schools because of the sports programs. And PLEASE NOTE, I said "some" ... not "all".   And I'm not downing that ... that's ok.  But people need to be willing to own it.  I'm convinced that if WB's football team was upper tier, we would not see as many parents/kids in our zone go elsewhere.

I agree with you post but I believe you left out one thing.  Sports.  Some parents send their kids to other schools because of the sports programs. And PLEASE NOTE, I said "some" ... not "all".   And I'm not downing that ... that's ok.  But people need to be willing to own it.  I'm convinced that if WB's football team was upper tier, we would not see as many parents/kids in our zone go elsewhere.

+1

I think the reason many WB and HHS folk get defensive is because all they ever hear about is Maryville and Alcoa.  

I have always wondered why graduates of WBHS who live in the county send their kids to city schools.  

The one thing we have never been able to fully do well for extended periods of time is win in male sports.  Yes we have had a few nice years, but they come few and far between.  Many feel like outsiders have a negative view of WBHS because of our male sporting teams, when sports are "extra-curricular."

Ennurustin.....Abowt tha "deefencesive"......Thay must heer abowt hit frum sumwhur othurr thain tha Daley Times tho...Thay like See-Moore Sockhur bettur apparuntlee.... :popcorneater: 

DiddySTARS cent me two Mairvul becaws aftur eye gradgeeated att tha UovA.....He sed he wainted me two goe two Mairvul....Eye gess he didun't figger he wainted me two spend 7.5 yeer thair tho... :huh:

Eye thaink this rite heer mite bee tha reesun sum Will-yum Blunt diddies and mommas won't two cend thair kidz two Mairvul.....Butt hay whut do eye no.....

https://k12.niche.com/d/maryville-city-schools-tn/rankings/

And Mairvul duz spend extree on tha churickulurrs...Moore spent on stewdunts thain enny othurr skool districk inn Blunt Cowntee..... :popcorneater:

Gov-Man eye knowed when'st ewe choosed tha littull red-haired Allin-Wick gurl oft ov Clindenun Rode....Ewe wuz smartur thain tha avridge bare... :popcorneater:

Ennurustin.....Abowt tha "deefencesive"......Thay must heer abowt hit frum sumwhur othurr thain tha Daley Times tho...Thay like See-Moore Sockhur bettur apparuntlee.... :popcorneater:

DiddySTARS cent me two Mairvul becaws aftur eye gradgeeated att tha UovA.....He sed he wainted me two goe two Mairvul....Eye gess he didun't figger he wainted me two spend 7.5 yeer thair tho... :huh:

Eye thaink this rite heer mite bee tha reesun sum Will-yum Blunt diddies and mommas won't two cend thair kidz two Mairvul.....Butt hay whut do eye no.....

https://k12.niche.com/d/maryville-city-schools-tn/rankings/

And Mairvul duz spend extree on tha churickulurrs...Moore spent on stewdunts thain enny othurr skool districk inn Blunt Cowntee..... :popcorneater:

Can't argue wif tha facks

I apologize for reading the ad.  I really don't think you know me very well.  That's why I put my phone number on here.  Message boards are not a good way to make assumptions of people.

Just know....there are a lot of good things happening at WBHS.  I think the reason many WB and HHS folk get defensive is because all they ever hear about is Maryville and Alcoa.  Yes they are great schools.  But we have just as many good students and just as many good teachers here as well.  Heck our ACT scores surpassed Alcoa last spring for the first time ever.  We have 12 AP classes.  We have kids every year that score perfect on the ACT.  Two years ago we sent kids to Yale and Penn.  Last year we sent one to Duke.  So..yes...there are WB supporters that feel like this information is not heard by the public.  

Yesterday the Advanced Ed Accreditation team finished their visit of WBHS (accreditation happens once every four years).  WBHS scored a 306 with the Advanced Ed average score being 276.  One of the members of the team said, "wow..I had no idea all of these things were happening at this school.  I just thought Maryville and Alcoa were the only good schools in Blount County."  He then stated that with everything that we offer academically from AP classes to everything we offer in the CTE building that a parent would be crazy not to send their child to WBHS.  I have always wondered why graduates of WBHS who live in the county send their kids to city schools.  I graduated from WBHS in 1989 as valedictorian and went on to have a 4.0 at Maryville College.  I am pretty sure we educate kids just fine.

I know this is a sports message board, but I just wanted to throw those things out there.  Anyway, sorry for reading the ad.  

Where does Oliver Springs come in?