Smith County Coaching

zoneread56

From the best I can tell:

1. All players have graduated

2. The program has not been cited with a single TSSAA violation

3. The staff has stressed the importance of sportsmanship

4. No unsportsmanlike penalties( may be redundant of # 3)

5. The players have represented their school respectfully on public appearances ( Actually heard that they had been commended for behavior on 2 separate occasions while visiting restaurants)

Did you see those successes?

Im going to go out on a limb here and say not winning will trump all of those in the eyes of the Smith Co faithful.

From the best I can tell:

1. All players have graduated

2. The program has not been cited with a single TSSAA violation

3. The staff has stressed the importance of sportsmanship

4. No unsportsmanlike penalties( may be redundant of # 3)

5. The players have represented their school respectfully on public appearances ( Actually heard that they had been commended for behavior on 2 separate occasions while visiting restaurants)

Did you see those successes?

those things are to be expected anyways so they arent successes just expectations of that any program should have... shows how much the staff sucks when the a fan says a success is "sportsmanship" give me  a break Smith Co needs wins and needs them now and the currrent staff will never get the job done.. and who honestly cares about what they do at restaurants bc like i  said earlier any and every program has those expectations.. name some on field accomplishments for me, i'll be waiting 

The application list for Smith County HS will be quite long if it does indeed become available. I will take no part in piling on a coach who is being hammered on here. I will say that Smith County has always been a very attractive job since Rankin was there and made it a successful program in the '80s.

Well, lets look at some reasons why the application list could be long:

1). Only had three seniors starting on offense

2). Only had two or maybe three seniors starting on defense 

3). Coaching supplements upgraded last year and now VERY competitive if not ahead of    surrounding schools

4). Outstanding facilities "THE HOLE". Beautiful field, new lights, new visitor bleachers seats 1000, 

5). One of the best Boosters club in TN that does NOT try to tell coaches how to run the program 

6). In just the past few years some of the accomplishments of the booster club with ZERO, NO help from the county: Beautiful indoor practice facility, with turf, many colleges would love to have this facility, new field house, new baseball field, new softball field, concession stand and bathrooms on visitor side. Many more achievements by the booster club, charter buses is another, that are structure facilities and many, many smaller achievements. As does most schools, additional coaching supplements paid to coaches run thru school to be legal.   

Attractive job? you decide. Discipline in school system very good backed by DOS and BOE. I could go on and on but I think you get the situation. Gary Rankin started the tradition several years back follow by Jimmy Maynord. Ripe, prime territory!!!!!!!!!!!     

Well, lets look at some reasons why the application list could be long:

1). Only had three seniors starting on offense

2). Only had two or maybe three seniors starting on defense 

3). Coaching supplements upgraded last year and now VERY competitive if not ahead of    surrounding schools

4). Outstanding facilities "THE HOLE". Beautiful field, new lights, new visitor bleachers seats 1000, 

5). One of the best Boosters club in TN that does NOT try to tell coaches how to run the program 

6). In just the past few years some of the accomplishments of the booster club with ZERO, NO help from the county: Beautiful indoor practice,with turf, many colleges would love to have this facility, new field house, new baseball field, new softball field, concession stand and bathrooms on visitor side. Many more achievements by the booster club, charter buses is another, that are structure facilities and many, many smaller achievements. As does most schools, additional coaching supplements paid to coaches run thru school to be legal.   

Attractive job? you decide. Discipline in school system very good backed by DOS and BOE. I could go on and on but I think you get the situation. Gary Rankin started the tradition several years back follow by Jimmy Maynord. Ripe, prime territory!!!!!!!!!!!     

Has the position opened up?

those things are to be expected anyways so they arent successes just expectations of that any program should have... shows how much the staff sucks when the a fan says a success is "sportsmanship" give me a break Smith Co needs wins and needs them now and the currrent staff will never get the job done.. and who honestly cares about what they do at restaurants bc like i said earlier any and every program has those expectations.. name some on field accomplishments for me, i'll be waiting

Well,you should have been more specific, as you never said anything about " on the field " success, so that's on you. As to who cares about how they act in public? That's easy. Me.

You were correct, well kinda, when you said every program has those expectations. Sad thing is not all programs get those successes. It probably doesn't prove anything about the staff because a fan said sportsmanship was an accomplishment,as fans say many things that don't mean,well,anything. As for on the field accomplishments,the team defeated Macon Co, Gordonsville, York, Upperman, Cannon Co, Dekalb Co, Livingston, Warren County, Grundy Co. I believe they have made the playoffs every year but one. Unless I misunderstood what you meant, I believe winning games and making the playoffs would be considered successful. Maybe it would help me understand better if you gave me some examples of success they should have accomplished, but didn't. On a side note, are you suggesting that the HC needs to go, or just the staff, or both? I did check the TSSAA site and it did say the purpose of high school was to develop character, integrity, sportsmanship, and team work. The TSSAA is the governing body of SCHS athletics. It also specifically said the primary purpose was not winning ball games.

So as l reflect on our conversation so far, maybe you just didn't have a clear understanding of the job those coaches were hired to do.

Edited by stuntwoman

Well,you should have been more specific, as you never said anything about " on the field " success, so that's on you. As to who cares about how they act in public? That's easy. Me.

You were correct, well kinda, when you said every program has those expectations. Sad thing is not all programs get those successes. It probably doesn't prove anything about the staff because a fan said sportsmanship was an accomplishment,as fans say many things that don't mean,well,anything. As for on the field accomplishments,the team defeated Macon Co, Gordonsville, York, Upperman, Cannon Co, Dekalb Co, Livingston, Warren County, Grundy Co. I believe they have made the playoffs every year but one. Unless I misunderstood what you meant, I believe winning games and making the playoffs would be considered successful. Maybe it would help me understand better if you gave me some examples of success they should have accomplished, but didn't. On a side note, are you suggesting that the HC needs to go, or just the staff, or both? I did check the TSSAA site and it did say the purpose of high school was to develop character, integrity, sportsmanship, and team work. The TSSAA is the governing body of SCHS athletics. It also specifically said the primary purpose was not winning ball games.

So as l reflect on our conversation so far, maybe you just didn't have a clear understanding of the job those coaches were hired to do.

No dog in this fight but a TREMENDOUS post!!! You get it!!

the coaches were hired to develop kids and win games but squander talent and lose to teams they should be beating... this years team should have went 8-2 or 9-1 this season but the coaching staff blew it for the players and I'm saying that the HC and most of the staff needs to go.. some of the things they should have accomplished are

1: winning region

2: winning a playoff game

3: getting to at least quarters

4: never losing to gville

5: not losing players on team bc now they are down to like 35-40

Etc I could keep going

the coaches were hired to develop kids and win games but squander talent and lose to teams they should be beating... this years team should have went 8-2 or 9-1 this season but the coaching staff blew it for the players and I'm saying that the HC and most of the staff needs to go.. some of the things they should have accomplished are

1: winning region

2: winning a playoff game

3: getting to at least quarters

4: never losing to gville

5: not losing players on team bc now they are down to like 35-40

Etc I could keep going

I'll start and stop with your #1

If it is your sincere belief that SCHS should have finished #1 in the region just once in the last 4 years, you not only lost all credibility with me, but also with all Upperman, Dekalb, LA and Sequatchie people over that span. Nobody has beaten Seq this year,yet, I repeat nobody. In '13 Upperman lost only to Alcoa. In '15 they lost only to Cookeville,Stone,ND. LA lost only to Hixson and Loudon in'14. Again, if you believe SCHS should have finished 1st in any one of those years, I WILL RESPECTFULLY, remove myself from this conversation due to the fact that I can't have an intelligent conversation alone.2-5 are moot. Pardon me,2-Etc

I'll start and stop with your #1

If it is your sincere belief that SCHS should have finished #1 in the region just once in the last 4 years, you not only lost all credibility with me, but also with all Upperman, Dekalb, LA and Sequatchie people over that span. Nobody has beaten Seq this year,yet, I repeat nobody. In '13 Upperman lost only to Alcoa. In '15 they lost only to Cookeville,Stone,ND. LA lost only to Hixson and Loudon in'14. Again, if you believe SCHS should have finished 1st in any one of those years, I WILL RESPECTFULLY, remove myself from this conversation due to the fact that I can't have an intelligent conversation alone.2-5 are moot. Pardon me,2-Etc

they should have won it the past 2 seasons not 2013-2014

I'm sorry but two play makers could not compete with sequatchie county the last two years. I have no dog in this fight but I think the fan base has to have some achievable expectations.

im sorry but getting 4th in region with the decent talent they have is sorry.. maynard won with less in stronger districts.. the players have been out into bad situations from the start of the dickerson regime and have choked in big games.. in 2015 they definitely had the talent to get it done as well as 2013.. upperman that year had one player and they won every game but 1 so you can win with minimal talent in that region