Alcoa/Betsy

coachh17

Having seen Alcoa quite a bit over the last decade, and Elizabethton a handful of times, and having seen this year's teams up close in the last few weeks, I think this game will be competitive.

In my humble opinion, I judge the gap between this year's Alcoa team and this year's Betsy to be more narrow than in previous years.  The Cyclones have a QB who is very fast and elusive and throws the ball well.  The OL is very good also.  But I think the thing that struck me most about the Cyclones this year, and what I believe will give them a chance to be competitive against Alcoa, is their DL.  CAK's OL was certainly no match for the Betsy DL.

This year's Elizabethton DL is about the best I've seen as a unit in recent years with the exception of last year's Alcoa DL.  They are all big, strong and seem to be well-coached.  It also appeared to me that the Cyclones didn't have any guys playing both ways on OL and DL, or very minimally if at all.  That means there shouldn't be as much of a depth/fatigue factor late in the game.  Betsy's DL this year is dominant.  I don't expect them to "dominate" Alcoa's OL, but I do believe they are good enough that Alcoa's OL will have its hands full.

Betsy's LBs close well and the secondary (made up primarily of the QB, some of the WRs and one of the RB from what i could tell) is strong too.  Overall, to me, Betsy's D looked just as good as Alcoa's this year.

I've come to believe the only way you can have a chance to beat Alcoa is to be competitive in the trenches and win at least a good portion of the battles there.  I believe Betsy's OL and especially their DL this year give them a very good chance to do that.  Of course, if they do, it's then up to the skill players to win some of their respective battles too.

In terms of offensive skill players, I give a slight edge to Alcoa, simply because I think they have 4 guys who can hurt you on any play and Betsy has only about 3 from what I saw.  13 is Alcoa's best runner from what I've seen the last few years, but the big FB is a load and one of the TBs is a threat, not to mention getting the ball to 11 in space.  Betsy's offense is pretty much QB 6 running the ball a lot, mixing in some runs by the TB, and passing the ball to 25.

This has the potential to be a great competitive ball game.  Good luck to both teams.

i don't think they can keep it close but i would have said the same thing about fulton with catholic

Yeah and you also thought cak and ehs would be close so yeah..and you thought scott would give alcoa their toughest game yet so there's that.

I think it will be close. IF ehs wins it will be by the narrowest of margins but if alcoa wins I see them pulling away in the 4th qtr and probably being 2 tds better(if it's a clean game with low turnovers)

Yeah and you also thought cak and ehs would be close so yeah..and you thought scott would give alcoa their toughest game yet so there's that.

I think it will be close. IF ehs wins it will be by the narrowest of margins but if alcoa wins I see them pulling away in the 4th qtr and probably being 2 tds better(if it's a clean game with low turnovers)

i picked elizibethton to beat Cak I said I would have picked Cak if Cole smith plays I said Scott would give Alcoa the toughest game getting to the state championship game I still believe that

To be the team you have to beat the team! Alcoa deserves all the respect for the teams that they field year in and year out. EHS has a very good team this year and has fate in their hands by playing Alcoa to the best of their abilities. Should EHS win, it would definitely be their most significant win in decades (IMO). Give em your all Cyclones!!!

To be the team you have to beat the team! Alcoa deserves all the respect for the teams that they field year in and year out. EHS has a very good team this year and has fate in their hands by playing Alcoa to the best of their abilities. Should EHS win, it would definitely be their most significant win in decades (IMO). Give em your all Cyclones!!!

Good post!

Having seen Alcoa quite a bit over the last decade, and Elizabethton a handful of times, and having seen this year's teams up close in the last few weeks, I think this game will be competitive.

In my humble opinion, I judge the gap between this year's Alcoa team and this year's Betsy to be more narrow than in previous years. The Cyclones have a QB who is very fast and elusive and throws the ball well. The OL is very good also. But I think the thing that struck me most about the Cyclones this year, and what I believe will give them a chance to be competitive against Alcoa, is their DL. CAK's OL was certainly no match for the Betsy DL.

This year's Elizabethton DL is about the best I've seen as a unit in recent years with the exception of last year's Alcoa DL. They are all big, strong and seem to be well-coached. It also appeared to me that the Cyclones didn't have any guys playing both ways on OL and DL, or very minimally if at all. That means there shouldn't be as much of a depth/fatigue factor late in the game. Betsy's DL this year is dominant. I don't expect them to "dominate" Alcoa's OL, but I do believe they are good enough that Alcoa's OL will have its hands full.

Betsy's LBs close well and the secondary (made up primarily of the QB, some of the WRs and one of the RB from what i could tell) is strong too. Overall, to me, Betsy's D looked just as good as Alcoa's this year.

I've come to believe the only way you can have a chance to beat Alcoa is to be competitive in the trenches and win at least a good portion of the battles there. I believe Betsy's OL and especially their DL this year give them a very good chance to do that. Of course, if they do, it's then up to the skill players to win some of their respective battles too.

In terms of offensive skill players, I give a slight edge to Alcoa, simply because I think they have 4 guys who can hurt you on any play and Betsy has only about 3 from what I saw. 13 is Alcoa's best runner from what I've seen the last few years, but the big FB is a load and one of the TBs is a threat, not to mention getting the ball to 11 in space. Betsy's offense is pretty much QB 6 running the ball a lot, mixing in some runs by the TB, and passing the ball to 25.

This has the potential to be a great competitive ball game. Good luck to both teams.

Good review. I think Elizabethton maybe the best match up for Alcoa in 3A. Mainly due to line play.

Alot of polls thrown out there by people that have no clue. The Cyclones should have been ranked higher. This is a very good team.

Elizabethton will be a tough hard fought game for the F5. The difference makers for Alcoa will be #11 & #30. This is as balanced an offense as Alcoa has had in years. You can not focus on stopping the run. Both QB's can run hard, and pass well.

The Key will be for Alcoa to get a fast start and force Elizabethton to play from behind.

Edited by BCsportsfan