Dobyns Bennett 2017 Schedule

maroonpride

Any word on the Indians 2017 football schedule? Curious to see who the non-conference opponents will be. Saw on Twitter over the weekend that R1-5A teams are scheduling more R2-5A teams this go around instead of the local R1-6A's like Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill.

R1-6A

Dobyns Bennett

Science Hill

Morristown West

Jefferson County

Knox Bearden

Knox Farragut

Hardin Valley

6 conference games + 4 non conference games

DB football is not in the best of shape and if no coaching changes happen I don't know that 2017 its going to just magically turn around.

Some would say to schedule local Tri-cities teams for the 4 non-conference games in order to pad the W column.

Others would argue that doing so will end up hurting you in the long run when the playoffs start, so schedule some 6A teams but end up risking 4 additional losses.

This is a hard call because both sides have some valid points.

DB football is not in the best of shape and if no coaching changes happen I don't know that 2017 its going to just magically turn around.

Some would say to schedule local Tri-cities teams for the 4 non-conference games in order to pad the W column.

Others would argue that doing so will end up hurting you in the long run when the playoffs start, so schedule some 6A teams but end up risking 4 additional losses.

This is a hard call because both sides have some valid points.

Kingsport's leadership is perfectly fine with no major change and add a few cupcakes to pad the w's .They think nobody cares about a successful playoff run because how can Kingsport miss what they have never had.The main thing is the band at DB and they are great.

This is the most logical list I can come up with. Dobyns Bennett has never scheduled down due to lack of talent or coaching.

Class/Team/(# of non-conference team needs)

Last cycles non-conference opponents:

5A Tennessee High (4)

5A Sevier County (4)

5A Oak Ridge (4)

Other possibilities:

5A Morristown East (4)

5A Seymour (4)

5A South Doyle (4)

5A Knox Catholic (6)

4A Elizabethton (4)

4A Greeneville (4)

Even more possibilities:

5A Daniel Boone (4)

5A David Crockett (4)

5A Walker Valley (6)

5A Soddy Daisy (6)

5A Rhea County (6)

6A Heritage (4)

6A McMinn County (4)

6A Bradley Central (4)

6A Cleveland (4)

6A Ooltewah (4)

6A Cookeville (4)

It also would not surprise me to see DB go find a D2 school, VA or NC school to play.

Edited by maroonpride

My vote, if I had one:

Oak Ridge - great rivalry

Sevier Co. - hoping they improve

Greenville - for obvious reasons

Betsy - always tough

Or Farragut if SC is not expcted to improve.

Would like to see the toughest schedule possible, w/o traveling too far west or south and not playing Maryville.

Edited by DBGRAD70

My vote, if I had one:

Oak Ridge - great rivalry

Sevier Co. - hoping they improve

Greenville - for obvious reasons

Betsy - always tough

Or Farragut if SC is not expcted to improve.

Would like to see the toughest schedule possible, w/o traveling too far west or south and not playing Maryville.

Betsy and Greeeeeeeeeneville?      Are you sure??

Losing to another 6A team or a top 5A team is not that bad, but a very potential loss to 2 4A's does not look good at all.

Adding Maryville, Greeneville. Keeping Tennessee High and Oak Ridge. Anything else would be a dumb move

Would love this, strong and storied schedule right there. Are you saying this is the non conference schedule or your wish list?

DB and Sevier County have played for years but the opening of Northview Academy has taken them down to around 1,100 students. Not the same Smoky Bears we used to know. Of course neither is DB.