.45 sec Shot Clock is it time TSSAA and TN get one?

12thmanGCA

Absolutely no need for a shot clock. If you want the ball come get it, if you can't then that is the definition of," I'm better than you."

I say this in response to what I perceive is the tone of this thread. That somehow a deliberate offensive scheme is deployed because of an inferior ability. My ability to possess the ball until I decide to take the shot I want is the very essence of a game we call basketball, and lest you forget, the superior team is welcome to come get it at anytime by executing what we call defense.

In conclusion, it seems apparent to me that if a team is stalling the ball, that is defensive problem, not the fault of an,"I'm just here for the free hotdogs and popcorn" clock operator.

Edited by stuntwoman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A pure stall game is not going to win basketball games very often, which is why it is so seldom employed. However, a spread out offense, designed to score (uncontested layups) like the 4-corners, can be damnably difficult to stop, when it is run well.

Basketball, like most sports, can be reduced to simple mathematical equations. One winning equation is to take a lot of shots, and have more possessions than your opponent. This requires the athletes to create a lot of turnovers and offensive rebounds, or superior physical conditioning and/or numbers to wear the opponent out. Another winning equation is to get all your defensive rebounds, don't turn the ball over, and shoot a higher percentage shot than your opponents. This does not require physical superiority or numbers, just fundamentals, teamwork, and discipline. There are other approaches, and a *good* coach will choose a philosophy that suits the personnel he has available. Even the big schools do not have the luxury of picking players to fit their system, and the small schools have to be creative with a highly variable talent pool from year to year. What makes basketball fun at the high school level is seeing how these *good* coaches adapt the game to their personnel, and watching as each tries to impose their own game plan on the opponent.

The shot clock has reduced college basketball to a game of run and shoot. The complex offenses and elaborate defenses that once made the game fascinating are a thing of the past. The best basketball played today is on the high school level. I would hate to lose that.

A pure stall game is not going to win basketball games very often, which is why it is so seldom employed. However, a spread out offense, designed to score (uncontested layups) like the 4-corners, can be damnably difficult to stop, when it is run well.

Basketball, like most sports, can be reduced to simple mathematical equations. One winning equation is to take a lot of shots, and have more possessions than your opponent. This requires the athletes to create a lot of turnovers and offensive rebounds, or superior physical conditioning and/or numbers to wear the opponent out. Another winning equation is to get all your defensive rebounds, don't turn the ball over, and shoot a higher percentage shot than your opponents. This does not require physical superiority or numbers, just fundamentals, teamwork, and discipline. There are other approaches, and a *good* coach will choose a philosophy that suits the personnel he has available. Even the big schools do not have the luxury of picking players to fit their system, and the small schools have to be creative with a highly variable talent pool from year to year. What makes basketball fun at the high school level is seeing how these *good* coaches adapt the game to their personnel, and watching as each tries to impose their own game plan on the opponent.

The shot clock has reduced college basketball to a game of run and shoot. The complex offenses and elaborate defenses that once made the game fascinating are a thing of the past. The best basketball played today is on the high school level. I would hate to lose that.

I couldnt agree more with the best basketball being played on this level. I use to spend alot time watching my fav college and pro teams while i was younger but after finished college and got back into highschool basketball i dont see myself watching it at all anymore. I enjoy being in a highschool gym versus on the couch anyday. 

It sounds like your team sucks buddy ! If you can't compete with the larger schools then how about hiring a better coach? This is competition, right? IMO, a 30-35 second clock would be a welcome addition. If your team is so scared or pitiful that the only thing they can do is hold the ball then something is seriously wrong anyways.

If Greenback would have had Tom Izzo as their coach the other night would they have beat your team? Don't think he would have made a 50 point difference. Coaching comes into play when both teams are somewhat equally talented on some level and like it or not a school that is double in size has an advantage. The high school game is about Jimmy and Joe and not so much X and O. There is only so much a coach can do with a team under 6 ft. Not like college or pro where you can go out and get players to fit "your system" unless your recruiting players in high school to open that can of worms. Maybe your a fan of a private school that attracts better players which is fine but the small county school in Tennessee doesn't have that luxury to no fault of a coach. You have to play with the hand your dealt. While we are at it let's take out the Wing-T offense in high school football because that is straight out of the 50's and it's slow, boring and dull. Who cares about 3 yards at a time and controlling the clock and time of possession in football let's spread em out and fling it all over the yard. The facts are there are games where one team is just better and sometimes the only way to defend them is to hopefully keep it away from them a little longer. Your opinion is a shot clock is needed and maybe in your situation that can be very accurate..in other schools it would be detrimental to schools chance to make the game competitive. I agree with other posters..if your team is superior just go get the ball..or maybe those teams need help from the shot clock to make the team shoot because they just may not be that superior after all. It is a competition..we have the ball so come get it..if you can't you will lose..unless you need the shot clock to help you. You started this post to get opinions..sorry I do not agree as others do. This seems to frustrate you from your comments that we all aren't on board with a shot clock. Sounds like you have a very good team wish them the best. Scoring 70 on anyone in high school is tough shot clock or not. 

Gentlemen... When one watches a "TEAM" execute a four corner or any other stall offense in the fourth quarter with fundamentally sound ball handlers who keep a lead with nothing but a layup or foul shot is a thing of beauty to watch. 

Call me a fundamentalist, but I am totally against a shot clock. Being able to control a game takes discipline and much practice. If a team is able to do that then kudos to them.

I've witnessed where one team stalls from opening tip, halftime 4-2, 3rd qtr 7-4, and after OVERTIME 17-11. It was the worst crap that I've ever paid money to watch ! The coach said it was the only thing that he could think of.

And for the record, the team that I wanted to win used the stall tactic. The fun part of coaching is trying to match wits with the guy on the other sideline, trying to out-smart him. It doesn't take alot of imagination to hold the ball. If you've built a lead and play keep-a-way the last few minutes then it's a change of pace that adds a bit of intrigue because now the other coach has to make his adjustments. To me, there's a big difference in that and holding the ball from the opening tip because you're scared of the other team. To me, game planning is the fun part, thinking of a way to take down Goliath! No one said it was going to be easy.

IMO, a shot clock makes for more excitement. It forces one team to dig in on defense to pressure the opponent into a bad shot. Just makes for a better game.

Warning: memcache_connect() [function.memcache-connect]: Can't connect to internal.memcached.coacht.net:11211, Connection refused (111) in /mnt/wwwroot/boards/ips_kernel/classCacheMemcache.php on line 90

I've witnessed where one team stalls from opening tip, halftime 4-2, 3rd qtr 7-4, and after OVERTIME 17-11. It was the worst crap that I've ever paid money to watch ! The coach said it was the only thing that he could think of.
And for the record, the team that I wanted to win used the stall tactic. The fun part of coaching is trying to match wits with the guy on the other sideline, trying to out-smart him. It doesn't take alot of imagination to hold the ball. If you've built a lead and play keep-a-way the last few minutes then it's a change of pace that adds a bit of intrigue because now the other coach has to make his adjustments. To me, there's a big difference in that and holding the ball from the opening tip because you're scared of the other team. To me, game planning is the fun part, thinking of a way to take down Goliath! No one said it was going to be easy.
IMO, a shot clock makes for more excitement. It forces one team to dig in on defense to pressure the opponent into a bad shot. Just makes for a better game.

This is exactly the kind of game I posted about earlier in this thread. If a team is running through their offense and trying to get an open look or a backdoor cut I'm all for that. That kind of basketball is a thing of beauty. But I'm not for teams just holding the ball at mid court.

I'm also not for a 45 second clock in high school. Fundamentals should be the focus at that level.  The game is sloppy enough at times (especially on many girls teams) without artificially speeding up the offense. Perhaps a compromise might be a 90 second shot clock.

A shot clock is much needed in high school. Teams can not simply hold the ball on offenses for minutes at a time and this speeds up the game which makes it more fun to watch and lets the skill of the game and coaching take over instead of sitting back and letting someone hold the ball or just pass it around. The dynamic of todays high school basketball in tennessee would be so much better and fun to watch.

Absolutely needs a shot clock, If you can't get a good shot is 35 seconds then the coach isn't teaching basketball. That to me is the main problem, the game is not being taught, coaches that have to call a play every time down the floor are hindering the growth of the player, Ever heard "Players over Plays". Bob Knight never called plays, as a matter of fact he said that if he had to call a play for a player then you aren't a basketball player.If the game is taught properly then very few plays should ever need to be called,teaching proper spacing,lanes & how to utilize the entire court to your teams advantage. Another thing that needs to be changed is the no-charge zone under the basket, I see far to many kids not playing defense but instead setting up to take a charge under the net, defense is played out in front of the rim,not below the net, it's lazy & dangerous to take a charge under the net & should never be called.

Hyper quick. Agree with everything you said accept shot clock. Hate to see coaches calling plays. Consider it over coaching. Practice is for coaches and games are for players. High schools I feel do need to adopt the arch for a charge. Shot clock not needed because as I stated most teams will get of a shot or turn ball over within 45 seconds if the defense is forceing the issue. Just saying.