District 4-A

kazam37

Going to end up being a stress free game tonight.  We did not have a good night down at OS and lost our only district regular season game.  I would guess Coach West and the girls will have their minds on straightening that out this evening.  Oneida looks like the strongest group from our area, they have a little bit of everything.  Wartburg certainly is dangerous, but I am clueless as to why Coalfield has not played that well against us.  I wonder how our area will fare against the other region considering there doesn't appear to be a loaded group over there.

Kazaker

The played really well for sure. OS played a lot of kids, Not that it would have mattered Oneida was on from the start. Well the Regular season is over and now season 3 begins. It's the one that counts.

I don't know what if anything OS can do but hey it's district time and the first game is the biggest. Sunbright will be a tough test for a first round.

Well, everyone has seen each other twice so guessing what a team is going to have coming at them will be pretty simple.  Oneida has the most difficult team to prepare for because they have so many different players and they are all pretty good in their own way.  Wartburg is going to throw that 2-3 match up at everyone they face and it is hard to break it until you figure out what is working.  Coalfield is a regular puzzle right now, the two games I watched them play I was definitely thinking they were NOT good, but my buddies say they can get on people if they play well.  OS has to be a little scared to be seeing Sunbright early....Yaden usually has group geared for this time of year.  The winner of that match up will not be a surprise either way....I can see it going to either team.  Oakdale and Jellico are just not very good, and if either of them win their first game I would be stunned.  Shouldn't happen, but that is why you play the games.

Kazzem

Kaz..... Wartburg and Coalfield each won their respective games big on Tuesday night.

As for the 4 vs 5, Sunbright goes into Terry L. Hacker gymnasium and pulled off the unthinkable, 50-47.... setting the stage for Friday night. You were right my friend... Yaden had his girls ready to play

See yall Friday at The Burg....

That score was, in reality, not a huge surprise.  Sunbright has very solid post play and their guards just needed to find ways to get the ball to them and make some shots outside.  OS was probably hot early and then cooled off (I'm just guessing since I wasn't at the game).  Once the game got tight then the pressure usually falls on the favorite and, although OS has some good players, they have some kids that probably felt that pressure.  Coach Yaden has done a good job convincing his kids that they can play with some teams.  Oneida will be a tougher climb because of the quality depth they have, but Sunbright pushed them once this year.  Getting Bertram back is going to help the Lady Indians defensively in the post because she gives them a physical presence.  I would think the girls are playing well enough going in to say that Oneida should win this match up.  That would not diminish the fact that Coach Yaden did fine work this year with the Lady Tigers.

Kazzator

Observations anyone.....?  Here's mine:

- I'll go on record to say Coach West is definitely the best recipient for COY this season.  Been hearing a bunch of yak about the upset in the tournament makes Coach Yaden the new best choice.  That is a bunch of hogwash.....West had his team ready for every game but one in the regular season....the award is for the whole season not one game.  The vote they took at the coaches meeting was correct.....and to insinuate otherwise is bogus IMO.

- Coach Yaden had a excellent game plan the other night against Oneida.  They pounded the boards and never allowed Oneida to get into transition.  They were content to let Oneida fire away outside as long as no one hit shots consistently and worked the boards to take away second chance points.  I'm just guessing here but I would say they outrebounded the Lady Indians by a comfortable margin.  On offense they repeatedly were aggressive going to the rim and didn't settle for outside looks....I don't remember them hitting a 3 but they didn't shoot many.

- No one here will look ahead.  They have to be focused on the game at hand....the region has some interesting early games.  You better bring it now or your season is done.

Kazzator