Eight player football

Indian

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.jacksonsun.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2016/06/19/knights-coach-makes-case-man-football/86119008/

Around Chattanooga I could see Lookout Valley, Sale Creek, Grace Academy (current TSSAA with football, but struggle with success and numbers); Tennessee Christian (Cleveland), Berean (Hixson), Rhea Academy (non-TSSAA); Van Buren, Richard Hardy, Arts and Sciences (TSSAA but no football), all being interested.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2016/06/19/knights-coach-makes-case-man-football/86119008/

Around Chattanooga I could see Lookout Valley, Sale Creek, Grace Academy (current TSSAA with football, but struggle with success and numbers); Tennessee Christian (Cleveland), Berean (Hixson), Rhea Academy (non-TSSAA); Van Buren, Richard Hardy, Arts and Sciences (TSSAA but no football), all being interested.

I don't know about the others, but I seriously doubt Richard Hardy even has enough for 8-man.  They have about 87 students including girls.  As far as Sale Creek goes, they have better numbers than most in 1a.  They just need to get their athletes back like when they were a perennial basket ball power in the Don Burton era.

Edited by rlh

Will 3 to 4 players make that big of difference to a school like Lookout Valley?  Or schools that don't play football like Santa Fe?

And the 8 man football also has a limit on squad size (25, I think).  Could be the answer for smaller 1A schools as it is much cheaper to run.  I recall a large article about this type football here on coach t last year.  I could envision a region/district such as St Andrews, Webb, Whitwell, Lookout Valley, Sale Creek, etc....on an 8 game schedule.  Maybe even play each other twice.

8 MAN FOOTBALL WOULD BE A BOOM TO PROGRAMS LIKE LOOKOUT VALLEY...TENNESSEE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL IN CLEVELAND MIGHT HAVE SAVED THEIR PROGRAM IF 8 MAN FOOTBALL WAS AVAILABLE........NEVER HAVE BEEN CONVINCED THAT THE TSSAA ALWAYS HAD THE BEST INTEREST OF THE STUDENT/ATHLETE AS THEIR #1 PRIORITY.

Proposed local Chattanooga 8 man League

Whitwell

Sale Creek

Grace (Chattanooga)

St Andrews

Tennessee Christian (Cleveland)

Copper Basin

And the 8 man football also has a limit on squad size (25, I think).  Could be the answer for smaller 1A schools as it is much cheaper to run.  I recall a large article about this type football here on coach t last year.  I could envision a region/district such as St Andrews, Webb, Whitwell, Lookout Valley, Sale Creek, etc....on an 8 game schedule.  Maybe even play each other twice.

You don't have to limit the squad size.  I think some states do limit it, but most don't because the 8 man teams are probably already going to have low numbers.  Some 8 man teams play JV and even Frehsman schedules in other states.  There are over 100 schools in Texas who play 8 man.

You don't even need equal size divisions.  Michigan has about 30 teams statewide who participate in their 8 man division, most of whom were bottom feeders in the smallest class in earlier times.  Games are a lot more competitive.  There's more travel because the fewer teams are spread out, but the travel costs are offset by the savings on equipment and the savings on gas from using short busses to travel.

You realize that Whitwell is one of the larger 1a schools in the state don't you?  In fact, they have in recent past been in 2a. Sale Creek as good student numbers.  They just need time to get things going and get some of their athletes back.  They were a perennial power in A basketball in the 70s and 80s when Don Burton coached there.  They were one of the few run and gun teams.  For whatever reason, Sale Creek just recently got into football.  Picking off these larger 1a schools for a 8-man thing is exactly what I was getting at undermining 1a football.

Edited by rlh