DII-A Miss Basketball Nominations

CoachT

Sportswriters across the state need your input about players in this classification. Please keep in mind: Negative comments do not impress voters. Positive comments about your choices may have an impact.

The Mr. and Miss Basketball Awards will be presented to the top girls and boys in five classifications of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association at the state basketball championships in March.

This group is to include three finalists for Miss Basketball and three for Mr. Basketball in each classification. The winners of the coveted award are to receive the distinguished Mr. and Miss Basketball trophy with the other finalists being presented plaques.

The awards will be presented to the top girls and boys in five classifications of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association on the floor of Murphy Center on the campus of Middle Tennessee State University on Tuesday, March 7 at 7:00 p.m. A reception for the finalists and their families will be held prior to the awards presentation.

Any player at any of our member schools is eligible to receive votes, and I would encourage you to take a moment and give careful consideration to any player with whom you are familiar and who you think deserving of the award.

These votes are a nominating process only. A selection committee that will include representatives from each area of the state will meet to vote on the finalists and winner of the Mr. and Miss Basketball Award for each classification. You may nominate up to three players in each classification for the awards. It is not necessary to nominate three players in every category, but that is your option. Also, please take into account the statewide aspect of this award as you consider your nominations.

In order for your ballot to be counted in the selection process, it must be submitted no later than noon on FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 3.

2017 Anna Jones: University School Jackson

2017 Riley Casey: Franklin Road Academy

2019 Casey Collier: Knoxville Webb

2017 Antoinette Lewis: Hardin Academy

2017 Ashton Baker: North Point Christian

These five young ladies have shown the most promise of all I've seen in this division

Edited by NEBMedia
  • Upvote 1

I see this as a two woman race between Ashton Baker (Northpoint) and Anna Jones (USJ) with the nod going to Jones.  She is averaging 21.2 pts, 8.8 rebounds, shoots 58.9% from the field, 77.6% from charity and averages 3.5 steals per game.  The reason I give Jones the nod is because  with her height, she can (and does) play from the 1 to the 5 and can score effectively from anywhere on the court.  I see both of these girls squaring off in the state title game!

• Upvote 1

Ashtyn Baker from Northpoint Christian School defines what a Miss Basketball awardee should be in my opinion. She distinguishes herself by leading in a uniquely unselfish manner and exhibits a “team before self†concept every time she competes.  A true point guard, she distributes first and shoots second, a rarity among today’s “me†generation, which is evidenced by how evenly her team scores most games.  That being said, Ashtyn has still scored over 1,761 points, 746 assists, 641 rebounds and 671 steals while averaging only 23 minutes per game in her varsity career. 

Ashtyn’s style of play produces results.  She has led NCS to four straight TSSAA final four appearances, two state title games and one State Championship with a career record of 129-23.  She is the reigning 2016 TSSAA State Tourney MVP, 2016 Miss Basketball Finalist, 2014 & 2016 All State Awardee, 2014 & 2016 Regional MVP plus an All-Region and All-District awardee for three straight years (2014/15/16).  A three time Pepsi’s Best of Preps awardee and Finalist in 2016 (Top 5 players in Memphis Metro Area) she is averaging 12pts, 5 assists, 5 rebounds and 5 steals in 23 min per game, (25 points off the ball) in 2017.  Ashtyn is also nationally ranked 49th by ESPNW Hoopgurlz for 2017 point guards.  She is a high motor player who is extremely quick with the ball and has unmatched court vision in transition.  NCS plays a tough 2017 schedule against some of the largest public schools in Tennessee and looks to make another deep run in the Div. 2-A playoffs based on her selfless leadership resulting in team excellence. 

Ashtyn Baker from Northpoint Christian School defines what a Miss Basketball awardee should be in my opinion. She distinguishes herself by leading in a uniquely unselfish manner and exhibits a “team before self†concept every time she competes. A true point guard, she distributes first and shoots second, a rarity among today’s “me†generation, which is evidenced by how evenly her team scores most games. That being said, Ashtyn has still scored over 1,761 points, 746 assists, 641 rebounds and 671 steals while averaging only 23 minutes per game in her varsity career.

Ashtyn’s style of play produces results. She has led NCS to four straight TSSAA final four appearances, two state title games and one State Championship with a career record of 129-23. She is the reigning 2016 TSSAA State Tourney MVP, 2016 Miss Basketball Finalist, 2014 & 2016 All State Awardee, 2014 & 2016 Regional MVP plus an All-Region and All-District awardee for three straight years (2014/15/16). A three time Pepsi’s Best of Preps awardee and Finalist in 2016 (Top 5 players in Memphis Metro Area) she is averaging 12pts, 5 assists, 5 rebounds and 5 steals in 23 min per game, (25 points off the ball) in 2017. Ashtyn is also nationally ranked 49th by ESPNW Hoopgurlz for 2017 point guards. She is a high motor player who is extremely quick with the ball and has unmatched court vision in transition. NCS plays a tough 2017 schedule against some of the largest public schools in Tennessee and looks to make another deep run in the Div. 2-A playoffs based on her selfless leadership resulting in team excellence.

Sounds like a great kid. School is in MS though and should not be in TSSAA.

Playerscoach, haven't seen you in awhile. I guess you are not as involved in basketball anymore. Will the situation there ever change?

Hope you are doing well? With two 6'2" post players they have some things to work with. I don't know about change? Lots of good people trying to help but having 1,1, and 0 seniors these last three seasons has been tough on the program. Attrition is huge in the program. Not to mention losing two of the top 8 kids playing for Father Ryan now and our returning all region PG have taken the program in a different direction. The sophomore PG playing soccer only was the right choice for her this season. Plus, if you miss a game you're suspended for 2 by the AD so the big new years Disney soccer event is a necessity for recruiting. I've heard attending it this year helped her get a free ride to D1 programs already. :)

I have high hopes for next year and beyond. :)

Look forward to competing against the cougars next year. Best of luck to you and Mrs Big Chief.