Tired of Forfeits...

GodFamilyWrestling

Is anyone else tired of seeing forfeits?  How many times have you gone to watch a match and some to the matches you want to see are simply forfeited?  

I understand that in a team event the goal of the coach is to simply win the event.  Once the match is won or they don't like the match up,  I see more teams taking the forfeit approach.  Is this the only sport where forfeiting matches is acceptable?  

Super Bowl Sunday!  The Falcons win by forfeit due to the officials checking the air pressure of the footballs before the game...  So the Patriots forfeit  !!  

I'm sure the wrestlers who have worked hard to prepare for the matches want to wrestle.  I understand not wanting to get hurt, etc;  but don't the wrestlers come prepared to wrestle?  Ask any wrestler if they want to train all week or all year and go out and have their hand raised without wrestling anyone....  

Something needs to change...  8 points per forfeited match may not be enough..  Maybe if you forfeit that weigh class then you have to forfeit that weight class for the next 2 matches? (Same as DQ)  Exceptions made for injury, of course... 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Personally I destest the "forfeit out" approach once someone has won. I suppose it's the same debate as resting your starters at the end of the NFL season. Not good for the fans or the sport. I think it's an advantage for the guys to wrestle, especially if they won't have any action before the next match. A live match is very different than an intense warmup. People always seem to wrestle their best the 2nd, 3rd or 4th match when competing. Sitting them is disadvantageous (IMO). Secondly I thought the point of wrestling was to wrestle? Just a crazy thought.

However, I do think the 8 point forfeit should solve 95% of this issue.

Edited by Newestguy

Good. At least there would be a wrestling match.

Ok. Well then what if a team doesn't have a certain weight or had an injury in a certain weight the match before and that wrestler couldn't wrestle and they didn't have a backup at that weight? Still 8 points for a kid that couldn't wrestle or force them to go get pinned? These are just questions? Not an attack.

Ok. Well then what if a team doesn't have a certain weight or had an injury in a certain weight the match before and that wrestler couldn't wrestle and they didn't have a backup at that weight? Still 8 points for a kid that couldn't wrestle or force them to go get pinned? These are just questions? Not an attack.

I think the frustration with the original poster was forfeiting when there's a capable bodied kid to wrestle just because the dual meet has already been won (forfeiting out). Or running from the opponents studs to not allow momentum. Obviously if there's nobody weighed in or someone able to wrestle the only choice is to forfeit. Edited by Newestguy

I think the frustration with the original poster was forfeiting when there's a capable bodied kid to wrestle just because the dual meet has already been won (forfeiting out). Or running from the opponents studs to not allow momentum. Obviously if there's nobody weighed in or someone able to wrestle the only choice is to forfeit.

Yeah I got that but I was asking about the 8 point fix. I'm not sure it works or is even fair to actual wrestlers. The fix lies within the team concept of the dual tourney or should otherwise it goes individual. Then some would probably still forfeit at some point. Instead of giving up 3 forfeits to secure the win they'd just give up 2 etc. I just don't see the easy way to address it , I think most would like to see the wrestle out match if possible. But from the coaches standpoint they are doing what they think is best for their kids and that's who they should put first.

Yeah I got that but I was asking about the 8 point fix. I'm not sure it works or is even fair to actual wrestlers. The fix lies within the team concept of the dual tourney or should otherwise it goes individual. Then some would probably still forfeit at some point. Instead of giving up 3 forfeits to secure the win they'd just give up 2 etc. I just don't see the easy way to address it , I think most would like to see the wrestle out match if possible. But from the coaches standpoint they are doing what they think is best for their kids and that's who they should put first.

good point.  I do not think the premise is putting the kids first though.  I think the idea is that the win comes first in this tournament and they do not want to chance a wrestler getting hurt OR getting a call referee call that DQ's the wrestler for the next match.  That is not kid first, that is win first. 

good point. I do not think the premise is putting the kids first though. I think the idea is that the win comes first in this tournament and they do not want to chance a wrestler getting hurt OR getting a call referee call that DQ's the wrestler for the next match. That is not kid first, that is win first.

Yes that's why I used kids (plural) my bad should of said team.