Tired of Forfeits...

GodFamilyWrestling

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I got that but I was asking about the 8 point fix. I'm not sure it works or is even fair to actual wrestlers. The fix lies within the team concept of the dual tourney or should otherwise it goes individual. Then some would probably still forfeit at some point. Instead of giving up 3 forfeits to secure the win they'd just give up 2 etc. I just don't see the easy way to address it , I think most would like to see the wrestle out match if possible. But from the coaches standpoint they are doing what they think is best for their kids and that's who they should put first.

I agree with you anotherback. But there's a fine line between what's best for the kids and what's best for the coach. I do like the 8 point concept, it's a start.

It's not just in "strategy" in the state tourney. Look at the big tournaments, bradley, ryan, mccallie, etc..... most teams do not fill 14 weight classes. We should go back to 12, or maybe even 10 like college. That would make matches more competitive and more exciting for the fans. It also would allow smaller teams with great wrestlers to be able to comore with large schools.

It's not just in "strategy" in the state tourney. Look at the big tournaments, bradley, ryan, mccallie, etc..... most teams do not fill 14 weight classes. We should go back to 12, or maybe even 10 like college. That would make matches more competitive and more exciting for the fans. It also would allow smaller teams with great wrestlers to be able to comore with large schools.

I agree TD2, but then not as many people would medal. Can't have that. We need more divisions and more weight classes.

Weight/weigh-in sheet given at weigh-ins is the final adjustment for the coach. Whatever you put  a kid down to wrestle before weigh-ins is what they wrestle. If you have an injury you may substitute a young man. If any wrestler is substituted for at any time the starting wrestler is ineligible the remainder of the day.So if I give you 120 john at weigh ins. 120 john gets hurt. I can forfeit and give up 6 or I can replace john with a wrestler not on my official starters list. Weigh in sheets must be turned in prior to weighing in. Not during. If a wrestler misses weight he is done just like at the state. He may not wrestle up a weight class. If a coach says he wrote it down wrong.......sorry shoulda double checked it. Wrestler misses weight sorry bro you let your team down, but made the 2nd string guy happy. If at a dual tournament and you forfeit any match that match must remain a forfeit all day. This encourages wrestling not a dag nabbit chess match. The coaching is done at practice and talking kids through moves during a match. Not on the score sheet. So sick of bump ups, forfeits, and in general not wrestling the good matches. Line them up and wrestle. The coaching will show and the wrestlers can get their head right for that big match. The way it is now encourages forfeits and bumping.............And that really sucks when everyone is seeing that big match up and it doesn't happen.

I'm a "Paid Spectator" of the sport, but love it!

My input isn`t worth a lot since I don`t know a lot about the sport so it`s like a fan.

I do have a questions:

A forfeit is 6 point. I see some of the teams (the ones that can fill every weight) still forfeit but (which is pretty obvious they are ducking someone)then bump the kid up to the next weight class, and he wins. Can the scoring system be changed or is it written in stone? Someone suggested 8 points for a forfeit. I don`t thinks that`s enough. Maybe 12? The wrestler that keeps getting dodged through out the year, how is that fair to them? He travels hundreds of miles a year, puts in the hundreds of hours of practice, but then comes up with almost no mat time in true competition. He either gets the forfeit or has to wrestling up to get an opponent.

If it can`t be fixed so be it, but if it can it should be. Seems to me the goal should be that every competitor that shows up deserves an opponent.

I'm a "Paid Spectator" of the sport, but love it!

My input isn`t worth a lot since I don`t know a lot about the sport so it`s like a fan.

I do have a questions:

A forfeit is 6 point. I see some of the teams (the ones that can fill every weight) still forfeit but (which is pretty obvious they are ducking someone)then bump the kid up to the next weight class, and he wins. Can the scoring system be changed or is it written in stone? Someone suggested 8 points for a forfeit. I don`t thinks that`s enough. Maybe 12? The wrestler that keeps getting dodged through out the year, how is that fair to them? He travels hundreds of miles a year, puts in the hundreds of hours of practice, but then comes up with almost no mat time in true competition. He either gets the forfeit or has to wrestling up to get an opponent.

If it can`t be fixed so be it, but if it can it should be. Seems to me the goal should be that every competitor that shows up deserves an opponent.

Again that won't fix the bumping up then they would get a Jv kid to wrestle that spot and bump up theor better wrestler. Whoever said the wrestler who weighs in at that spot has to wrestle there was probably closest to a solution but then someone will just say that's what the individual state is for. I guess it depends on how much strategy you like or don't like seeing. I saw both BC and Cleveland matches this year and both bumped kids. I think it helps Cleveland more cause Bradley upper weights are not as solid. I could watch either with or without bumps and forfeits. I'm 100 % sure I don't have the answer.

Just a few things to consider that would help:

1.  Go back to 12 weight classifications

105, 115,125,135,145,155,165,175,185,195,215,Unlimited

2.  A forfeit in dual matches would be 10 team points (watch coaches fill the weight classes)

3.  Teams can weigh in as many wrestlers as they want for a dual including the state tournament.

4.  Cheerleaders should be allowed down by the mat

5.  No more COW PALACE because the spectators are to far away.  You want the crowd right on top of the mat to create the very best experience for the wrestling teams and fans

6.  Pep bands should be allowed just as they are basketball

I'm going to respectfully disagree, from the coach's perspective. I understand that this post is probably from a fan or parent based stance, but you have to remember that wrestling has two different types of competition, team and individual. As a coach, if you wrestle an athlete in an "unnecessary" match just to let them wrestle, and they get hurt or DQ'd...what have you gained? A few years ago in the state duels, it seemed every call was going against us in a certain match, and the other teams' coach was even pushing to get one of our wrestlers DQ'd for our aggressive style. As soon as the match was secured, I completely forfeited out to get out of that situation and have never thought twice about it. The next match, once again we secured the victory and the other team forfeited out to us as a way to show respect for the win. Something I actually had a lot of respect for the other coach for. 

Long story short, these are not professional athletes. There was a comparison to the NFL, and now our sport is often compared to MMA. However, these are young men that we are to protect and put in the best position to be successful. Sorry you didn't get to see whatever match up you wanted, but this is again the coach's view on the matter. 

Coach T

Would Tom Brands, John Smith, Tom Ryan, etc...forfeit out a dual?  If you want to prevent injuries just put out a JV kid.  If it were not for the fans and parents coaches would not have a job! 

Edited by cbg