Tired of Forfeits...

GodFamilyWrestling

I'm going to respectfully disagree, from the coach's perspective. I understand that this post is probably from a fan or parent based stance, but you have to remember that wrestling has two different types of competition, team and individual. As a coach, if you wrestle an athlete in an "unnecessary" match just to let them wrestle, and they get hurt or DQ'd...what have you gained? A few years ago in the state duels, it seemed every call was going against us in a certain match, and the other teams' coach was even pushing to get one of our wrestlers DQ'd for our aggressive style. As soon as the match was secured, I completely forfeited out to get out of that situation and have never thought twice about it. The next match, once again we secured the victory and the other team forfeited out to us as a way to show respect for the win. Something I actually had a lot of respect for the other coach for.

Long story short, these are not professional athletes. There was a comparison to the NFL, and now our sport is often compared to MMA. However, these are young men that we are to protect and put in the best position to be successful. Sorry you didn't get to see whatever match up you wanted, but this is again the coach's view on the matter.

Coach T

That's pretty much the point that "these kids aren't professional athletes". It's a high school wrestling match. I'm not really sure what a "unnecessary match" is. Unless we're dealing with professional athletes. They're high school kids that came out for wrestling to wrestle. Let them wrestle.

I suppose I'm old school but I believe in finishing what you start. In fact finish strong. But I do like the idea of putting in JV guys if the match is out of reach to allow JV guys to finish. First, it gives them the experience to compete and second, it allows their opponents to have a match. Not to say "forfeiting out" is wrong, it's just something I wouldn't personally do.

Edited by russianbear

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys keep referring to 8 or more points for forfeits. The majority of forfeits outside the State Duals are not on purpose. Most coaches try like crazy to fill all weight classes, now you want penalize them when there hard work doesn't pay off. We are already penalized 6 points for not being able to fill the spot. Don't apply this state dual strategy to the whole season.