Father Ryan 45 McCallie 27

Bump11

A great tournament performance from a deserving group of young men.  They kept grinding all season and it paid off for them with big wins vs Baylor Friday night and McCallie Saturday night. That ride home over the mountain with a Purple Haze in the mind had to be tough.

I must say I was a bit discouraged by a group of wrestlers from McCallie choosing not to shake hands with opposing coach(es) after their respective matches, as I understand is customary. Certainly hope it was just an oversight in the heat of the match and not a purposeful tactic.

Sportsmanship should never take a back seat in this most difficult of sports. But I digress.....

Coach Simpson did a Belichek-like job this year with this team.  They struggled early and just kept working hard. The coaching staff at Ryan deserves a great deal of credit.  These young men were a different team with a different mindset in February, when it matters most. Kudos to a great team effort.  Individuals should be a blast!!!  Let's keep it rolling.....make it a double!!

• Upvote 1

Waiting for Ambush11 to show up and explain what went wrong for the Blue Wave.

Congrats to the Irish, Coach Simpson and Co. do it again. Just goes to show that nothing matters until February!

First of all, it's "Ambush115" - get it straight. It's not hard.

Secondly, not sure why you are calling me out. In the only previous post on the subject, I stated that McCallie was a "sleeper" and matched up well against Christian Brothers. I believe both statements proved to be true. Look it up. Again, it's not hard. But I'll break it down for you. McCallie was a sleeper - virtually nobody predicted them to make the finals after earlier losses to Baylor and FR. And, after beating CB, it looks like they matched up pretty well. Wouldn't you agree? So again, why are you calling me out??

Third, not sure what you'd like me to explain about the match. FR earned it. They won the toss, put out a very strong and strategic line-up, wrestled incredibly hard, got some key pins, and won the swing matches they needed to. Pretty simple. And congrats to them - deserving state champs. But if you're still confused about the match and don't understand the finer points of wrestling, I've got just the solution for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Wrestling-Dummies-Henry-Cejudo/dp/1118117972/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486341239&sr=8-1&keywords=wrestling+for+dummies 

Peace out.

FR did earn it...not sure why several McCallie wrestlers refused to acknowledge that by not shaking hands post-match. If I remember correctly, this happened the first time the Irish beat the Blue Wave. It's a shame the McCallie coaching staff hasn't stepped up and addressed this issue; the post-match display of sportsmanship is what sets our sport apart from most

I must say I was a bit discouraged by a group of wrestlers from McCallie choosing not to shake hands with opposing coach(es) after their respective matches, as I understand is customary. Certainly hope it was just an oversight in the heat of the match and not a purposeful tactic.

I'll wade in here as a coach, and as father of one of the McCallie wrestlers you're referring to in the above statement.

First, wrestlers shaking hands with opposing coaches after individual matches is not required by rule, but it is customary. It's not a rule because of the physical/emotional effort required in the sport. Over time, the rule committees realized, after enough unfortunate instances, walking over to the opposing bench immediately after an individual match is not optimal. Teams shake hands after the dual has concluded.

My son, win or lose, doesn't shake hands after his match during duals. The dual setting creates a far more intense and emotional setting than individual tournaments. And, by not shaking hands after the individual matches of a dual meet, you remove the chance of any unsportsmanlike penalty happening for either team.  He shakes hands after the dual match with everyone of the opposing coaches and wrestlers (many of whom he competes with in the "off-season" competitions). I've spoken with him about it a few times. I explained that people will miss judge who you really are because of it, but since his reasoning is sound, and not of unsportsmanlike intent, I have not interfered with his decision. There have been school administrators bring it up with him and me. The explanation is given, and they have not interfered with his decision. Same for our head coach. In individual tournaments, he shakes hands with opposing coaches after each match, win or lose.

To date, no opposing coach or wrestler has complained that I'm aware. They seem to understand.

Congrats again to Father Ryan on their DII State Dual title and solid win Saturday night.

-TH

I'll wade in here as a coach, and as father of one of the McCallie wrestlers you're referring to in the above statement.

First, wrestlers shaking hands with opposing coaches after individual matches is not required by rule, but it is customary. It's not a rule because of the physical/emotional effort required in the sport. Over time, the rule committees realized, after enough unfortunate instances, walking over to the opposing bench immediately after an individual match is not optimal. Teams shake hands after the dual has concluded.

My son, win or lose, doesn't shake hands after his match during duals. The dual setting creates a far more intense and emotional setting than individual tournaments. And, by not shaking hands after the individual matches of a dual meet, you remove the chance of any unsportsmanlike penalty happening for either team.  He shakes hands after the dual match with everyone of the opposing coaches and wrestlers (many of whom he competes with in the "off-season" competitions). I've spoken with him about it a few times. I explained that people will miss judge who you really are because of it, but since his reasoning is sound, and not of unsportsmanlike intent, I have not interfered with his decision. There have been school administrators bring it up with him and me. The explanation is given, and they have not interfered with his decision. Same for our head coach. In individual tournaments, he shakes hands with opposing coaches after each match, win or lose.

To date, no opposing coach or wrestler has complained that I'm aware. They seem to understand.

Congrats again to Father Ryan on their DII State Dual title and solid win Saturday night.

-TH

Your son shakes hands after each match during an individual tournament, but not in a duel? That makes zero sense. 

Maybe you missed it, he does shake hands in a dual match. He just doesn't shake hands twice in a dual match.

-TH

I guess I'd be more sympathetic to this line of reasoning if I hadn't watched 14 Father Ryan wrestlers go over and shake hands after their matches, win or lose...maybe the mental toughness and discipline instilled in the Irish that enables them to control their emotions after tough matches is the same thing that propelled them to another state title!

I guess I'd be more sympathetic to this line of reasoning if I hadn't watched 14 Father Ryan wrestlers go over and shake hands after their matches, win or lose...maybe the mental toughness and discipline instilled in the Irish that enables them to control their emotions after tough matches is the same thing that propelled them to another state title!

Could be. Maybe that's why Penn State beat Iowa, since Iowa wrestlers don't shake hands w/ opposing coaches after their individual dual matches either. 

Happy to discuss further with anyone, just PM me or start a separate thread. Don't want to high-jack a thread any further that's dedicated to congratulating Father Ryan's state dual title.

-TH

Edited by pantheon