2017 State Duals extraordinary

barbwire

First a huge congrats to all 3 teams that battled and won their respective divisions this year.

A-AA Champions Pigeon Forge

AAA Champions Bradley Central

DII Champions Father Ryan

All 3 teams showed how years of hard work and dedication can be rewarded.

While many similarities can be drawn from past years to this year, like many of the same programs continue to showcase their talent and re-load year after year.  I want to point out a truly unique occurrence at this years tournament.  I know there were others that witnessed this and I know there have to be pictures out there that captured this moment.

After the wrestling was completed, and the awards handed out and customary pictures were taken, something truly extraordinary happened.

Like a scene out of Braveheart, two groups of warriors sprinted in mass towards one another. 40 plus young men screaming and yelling, not to do battle but to embrace and high five, congratulating each other on their newly won state championship.  Coaching staffs from both teams giving hard high fives and handshakes, realizing their unified accomplishment.

Bradley Central on one end and Father Ryan on the opposite end, coming together in the middle of the arena in a moment of pure joy,  lifting the hearts of anyone watching.

It was such a spontaneous and incredible moment.  A moment that defines what this sport is about, true love of the greatest of all sports, wrestling. 

I hope that others witnessed this and hope that somewhere pictures or even video can be posted so that everyone can see this incredible, once in a lifetime occurrence.

• Upvote 1

First a huge congrats to all 3 teams that battled and won their respective divisions this year.

A-AA Champions Pigeon Forge

AAA Champions Bradley Central

DII Champions Father Ryan

All 3 teams showed how years of hard work and dedication can be rewarded.

While many similarities can be drawn from past years to this year, like many of the same programs continue to showcase their talent and re-load year after year. I want to point out a truly unique occurrence at this years tournament. I know there were others that witnessed this and I know there have to be pictures out there that captured this moment.

After the wrestling was completed, and the awards handed out and customary pictures were taken, something truly extraordinary happened.

Like a scene out of Braveheart, two groups of warriors sprinted in mass towards one another. 40 plus young men screaming and yelling, not to do battle but to embrace and high five, congratulating each other on their newly won state championship. Coaching staffs from both teams giving hard high fives and handshakes, realizing their unified accomplishment.

Bradley Central on one end and Father Ryan on the opposite end, coming together in the middle of the arena in a moment of pure joy, lifting the hearts of anyone watching.

It was such a spontaneous and incredible moment. A moment that defines what this sport is about, true love of the greatest of all sports, wrestling.

I hope that others witnessed this and hope that somewhere pictures or even video can be posted so that everyone can see this incredible, once in a lifetime occurrence.

Bradley and FR started that brotherly love bond. I really don't think there's any other 2 teams out there that shares the same bond the way these 2 teams does. It's always a pleasure to see these 2 teams get together.2 of the best coaches around. Teaching these feelers respect and all that that goes with it.

It will be etched in memory for years seeing what you described above and the pandemonium from everyone on the floor and in the stands as well; although, I did not capture it completely because I begin to go and meet the coaches of each of the teams (including the get 2nd place teams). It was an honor to get the hugs and discuss what they went through to be at the top of the podium. Absolutely incredible people leading the six teams, as I got to discuss first Pat Simpson and what they went through to meet the challenge they faced to make this young team (where they even thought they had holes) turn into what it became in the last few weeks, and then Ben Smith and his quaking body and voice filled with emotion as he described what he faced as well overcoming the extreme pressure they all felt taking two losses by one point to their rivals and then finally winning the charm... third rubber match...

And what a pleasure it was to take time to briefly discuss a little about Greg Foreman and what they continue to do to reload over there at PF.

Here's a little something you may or may not have seen on YouTube...

At the beginning with maybe 1500 of the apx 2000 in attendance...

And one more showing the tail end celebration of the crowd for multiple teams that just sealed the deal...

Edited by Sommers

The way I understand it Ryan and Bradley have worked out together before both state meets for a couple of years. The fellowship and camaraderie that you saw on Saturday night was probably a result of working out together and helping each other get ready for the big weekend. Both of these teams were underdogs going into the weekend and pulled it off.

• Upvote 1

It was a great tourney in all 3 divisions. Regarding shared practice time, I became involved with the Page program six years ago and have coached the last four;  Page has regularly practiced with Ravenwood and BGA  over Christmas break and the week leading up to individual state. I believe Benji started the practice long before my son came on the scene. I only say this to reinforce mrfixalot49's assertion that there are many other teams involved with the practice of "shared" workout/practice time.

Best Regards

Rod

Edited by rodteague
  • Upvote 1