Chattanooga area softball

Dimonddad

Here is my take based upon what I have seen the last few seasons.

AAA:  Ooltewah is the team to beat. Return most of their players including ace pitcher. Soddy Daisy is next, as they return bulk of players from strong team that was eliminated by State tourney team, Stewarts Creek. Ooltewah had Soddy's number head to head last season, so I'm giving the Owls the nod. Dark horse is Walker Valley. Lot of young talent for the Mustangs, but probably a year away.

AA: Chattanooga Central lost a strong senior class, but they have a senior pitcher that is the real deal. They will be in most every game she pitches. East Hamilton is a team that has talent but needs to be more consistent. Red Bank will also be in the mix. Lions have some heavy hitters, and will probably go as far as their pitching takes them. They narrowly missed state tourney last season. Sequatchie County is another team that could make some noise. They can score runs, but not sure about their rotation. Overall, I admit that I didn't see teams in the class enough to put them in a pecking order. 

A: It's Meigs County, Silverdale Academy, and everyone else. Meigs is the defending champs and the team to beat. They have the best junior Pitcher/hitter to come along in a while. They're lineup is strong even without the aforementioned player. Silverdale is loaded. Talented, deep, and no apparent weaknesses. I watched these two teams play three times in last year's state tourney. Wouldn't be surprised if it happens again. Dark horse(s) Whitwell, Sale Creek. Both of these teams will also compete for a state tourney appearance. Which one can avoid Silverdale in the elimination round will be key.

Division II: As usual, It's Baylor and GPS, not just in Chattanooga area, but for the state title. Baylor is two-time defending state champs. Raiders will return a strong team, but lost their senior ace pitcher as well as their top hitter to graduation. GPS returns their roster intact from last year's runner-up team that had no upperclassmen. Bruiser's also add pitcher that is as good as there is in the state. It's Baylor's title until proven otherwise, but this race is going to be one to watch.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my take based upon what I have seen the last few seasons.

AAA: Ooltewah is the team to beat. Return most of their players including ace pitcher. Soddy Daisy is next, as they return bulk of players from strong team that was eliminated by State tourney team, Stewarts Creek. Ooltewah had Soddy's number head to head last season, so I'm giving the Owls the nod. Dark horse is Walker Valley. Lot of young talent for the Mustangs, but probably a year away.

AA: Chattanooga Central lost a strong senior class, but they have a senior pitcher that is the real deal. They will be in most every game she pitches. East Hamilton is a team that has talent but needs to be more consistent. Red Bank will also be in the mix. Lions have some heavy hitters, and will probably go as far as their pitching takes them. They narrowly missed state tourney last season. Sequatchie County is another team that could make some noise. They can score runs, but not sure about their rotation. Overall, I admit that I didn't see teams in the class enough to put them in a pecking order.

A: It's Meigs County, Silverdale Academy, and everyone else. Meigs is the defending champs and the team to beat. They have the best junior Pitcher/hitter to come along in a while. They're lineup is strong even without the aforementioned player. Silverdale is loaded. Talented, deep, and no apparent weaknesses. I watched these two teams play three times in last year's state tourney. Wouldn't be surprised if it happens again. Dark horse(s) Whitwell, Sale Creek. Both of these teams will also compete for a state tourney appearance. Which one can avoid Silverdale in the elimination round will be key.

Division II: As usual, It's Baylor and GPS, not just in Chattanooga area, but for the state title. Baylor is two-time defending state champs. Raiders will return a strong team, but lost their senior ace pitcher as well as their top hitter to graduation. GPS returns their roster intact from last year's runner-up team that had no upperclassmen. Bruiser's also add pitcher that is as good as there is in the state. It's Baylor's title until proven otherwise, but this race is going to be one to watch.