Class A Sectionals

Shozen

Clay is very good don't get me wrong but they lack size. I think both harriman and Grace length and athleticism can effect Clay's shooters if matched up against each other. I saw a comment that mentioned how Clay was almost unstoppable if all three of their shooters were on and I have to argue the point that we could make the case for both Grace and Harriman. Unlike Clay having the big star, Harriman has a spread out attack of 4 studs and each can go off at any moment!! Grace is similar and I'm sure 12thman can be more specific about his team's strengths. I just feel from seeing each of these teams that Grace and Harriman are more complete and definitely capable of beating Clay. That's not to take anything away from them, but just deflecting the errant comment about Harriman not having a chance at beating Clay.

You must have never seen Macon County, Goodpasture, or some of the other teams Clay has beat. Yes they lack size in the post but Clay has beat 3 other A substate teams 8 times with only one game being close with PC in the region championship. When your PG is 6"4 and can out jump anyone else on the other team while having good fundamental rebounders then length doesn't effect Clay very much. Ashlock is a 6-2/6-3 freshman who gets tons of playing time and is extremely hard to guard down low. So by being undersized I mean they don't have a 6-56-6 post by have a SG that's 6-0/6-1 key at 6-4 and other 6-0 footers.

They also beat AA Macon County who went 16-0 in 8AA and a likely AA state team 2 times both at MC which doesn't happen much. When you play Clay you're already at a disadvantage simply because no one in A can guard Key man to man. So either you play a tight zone or risk getting in major foul trouble by playing man.

Harriman hasn't played/beaten anyone besides GCA that would even come close to Clay's ability. Putting 30 up on someone like Meigs County compared to Key putting up 49 and 45 in the 2 wins vs Macon County are two totally different things.

Goodpasture trounced another Substate team in a Columbia Academy by 32 while only being able to put up 51 vs Clay and I gurantee Goodpasture is as good or better than both GCA and Harriman. Clay's defense is underestimated since they can score.

I will never say someone is unbeatable as it happens all the time and it's likely to happen to someone tomorrow night. Goodpasture is a prime example as they would be a state tourney team if they didn't meet Clay in the region semis.

Edited by Shozen

You must have never seen Macon County, Goodpasture, or some of the other teams Clay has beat. Yes they lack size in the post but Clay has beat 3 other A substate teams 8 times with only one game being close with PC in the region championship. When your PG is 6"4 and can out jump anyone else on the other team while having good fundamental rebounders then length doesn't effect Clay very much. Ashlock is a 6-2/6-3 freshman who gets tons of playing time and is extremely hard to guard down low. So by being undersized I mean they don't have a 6-56-6 post by have a SG that's 6-0/6-1 key at 6-4 and other 6-0 footers.

They also beat AA Macon County who went 16-0 in 8AA and a likely AA state team 2 times both at MC which doesn't happen much. When you play Clay you're already at a disadvantage simply because no one in A can guard Key man to man. So either you play a tight zone or risk getting in major foul trouble by playing man.

Harriman hasn't played/beaten anyone besides GCA that would even come close to Clay's ability. Putting 30 up on someone like Meigs County compared to Key putting up 49 and 45 in the 2 wins vs Macon County are two totally different things.

Goodpasture trounced another Substate team in a Columbia Academy by 32 while only being able to put up 51 vs Clay and I gurantee Goodpasture is as good or better than both GCA and Harriman. Clay's defense is underestimated since they can score.

I will never say someone is unbeatable as it happens all the time and it's likely to happen to someone tomorrow night. Goodpasture is a prime example as they would be a state tourney team if they didn't meet Clay in the region semis.

I have seen Grace play the following substate teams, Oak Ridge, Bearden, Catholic, CAK and Blackman. Pretty good AAA and AA teams.

GCA hasn't played Blackman or Oak Ridge this season?

And of that list they have only beat CAK. I am not doubting GCA's strength of schedule as by CoachT it's just under Clay's but Harriman hasn't played/beat anyone besides GCA once.

Edited by Shozen

Fellers, it's all about match ups and who plays well in the glass house...that place CAN play games with the best's minds.

But, you gotta make it there first!

Completely agree of the sectional games PC at VB and GCA at hampton has the most upset potentional in my eyes. I like Hampton's chances because this same GCA team struggled with Van Buren last year. A team in VB that hasn't got within 25 points of beating Clay in the last 4 games. Edited by Shozen

Completely agree of the sectional games PC at VB and GCA at hampton has the most upset potentional in my eyes. I like Hampton's chances because this same GCA team struggled with Van Buren last year. A team in VB that hasn't got within 25 points of beating Clay in the last 4 games.

In a single game like the substate any thing can happen,  foul problems, poor shooting, someone gets hot, bad call(s) at the right time, match up problems just to mention a few.  The better team does not always win, just the one that scores the most on that night.  If they play ten games, it could be the only one that they win, but with all of that said all of that does not matter.  It just who wins tomorrow night.  All 16 have a change of winning at this stage of the season.  I would think that in most places that the home team has a big advantage.

GCA hasn't played Blackman or Oak Ridge this season?

And of that list they have only beat CAK. I am not doubting GCA's strength of schedule as by CoachT it's just under Clay's but Harriman hasn't played/beat anyone besides GCA once.

You are correct it was CAK that played those teams. Grace did play Oakland and Independence. Good luck to all Edited by QSouth89

In a single game like the substate any thing can happen, foul problems, poor shooting, someone gets hot, bad call(s) at the right time, match up problems just to mention a few. The better team does not always win, just the one that scores the most on that night. If they play ten games, it could be the only one that they win, but with all of that said all of that does not matter. It just who wins tomorrow night. All 16 have a change of winning at this stage of the season. I would think that in most places that the home team has a big advantage.

Agreed. In a single game, anything can happen. Shozen brought up GCA vs VB last year. VB won and deserved that game, but that was about as bad as GCA played all year. The refs messed with Arnold's head about his uniform before the game and then called touch fouls on him while letting everybody play ball and he probably didn't play over a full quarter the whole game. Plus, the PG played more like the freshman he was. It happens. This time of year, kids can get nervous or tighten up when they haven't all year. It is what makes high school basketball the best sport (in my opinion).

Edited by KnoxMoJo

Agreed. In a single game, anything can happen. Shozen brought up GCA vs VB last year. VB won and deserved that game, but that was about as bad as GCA played all year. The refs messed with Arnold's head about his uniform before the game and then called touch fouls on him while letting everybody play ball and he probably didn't play over a full quarter the whole game. Plus, the PG played more like the freshman he was. It happens. This time of year, kids can get nervous or tighten up when they haven't all year. It is what makes high school basketball the best sport (in my opinion).

Agreed, I didn't expect that outcome. However typically The glass house they are allowed to play compared to how high school is normally called. I enjoy watching it and the atmosphere. It's an accomplishment to make it let alone win it.

Just need to get hot at the right time and I feel this is the best year for someone outside of Memphis to win it as Mitchell/Halls isn't quite the powerhouse of norm and Humboldt/Middleton are good but can be beaten.

Edited by Shozen

I deleted it because I think clay is a good team just like everybody else left and I don't want people from clay to think I dont like them. But you talk them up like they are defending state champs.

Nope never said they were going to win. Should they have won the past two years in the first round most def. Lost by 2 to GCA and was up 7 on Hampton last year 3 mins to go with them hitting a buzzer beater 3 to force OT but that's how it goes. If I recall GCA also hit a last second shot to win?

The only defending state champs the last 3 years is Mitchell and are the top dogs this year until knocked off.

I for 1 hope Clay gets them first round if they both make it. Will Clay win? Who knows but if you or your team don't think they can win or want the challenge to beat the 3 time defending state champs going in then it's a loss before you step on the court. A lot of beating the West TN teams is mental for middle and east. All of the teams have the ability.

Edited by Shozen