Mississippi vs. Tennessee

tradertwo

Yep, but it's even worse if the athletes live in Mississippi and not in Tennessee.

I really don't see any difference...the campus isn't in Tennessee thus the "T" in TSSAA. As "by the book" as some of the rules are, to allow this is asinine. Perry County's football team forfeited six games a few years back because of two brothers who transferred from Henry Co. The "ineligibility" resulted from the fact that the family property had not sold in Henry Co. yet, even though the mother had taken a new job at the hospital in Linden, and was living there also ( cause for the move). TSSAA had already approved the transfer of the brothers until it came to light that property was owned in the school zone that was transferred from, yet this school is in another state entirely, but is allowed to compete in Tn.??? Bear in mind that no taxes or fees of any sort are collected, and that there's no way to police shady transfers.

I believe that the school's campus was previously in Tennessee. They moved into Mississippi but wanted to stay in the TSSAA. It's a rare situation although not wholly unique.

Correct. The church they're attached to outgrew their Memphis location and built on a lot more land just across the state line. SBEC (former name) was a long time Memphis private.

There is a private league in Mississippi and SBEC played in it for several years out of a sense of obligation. The biggest problem was the closest private of its size was roughly 45 miles away and there were schools in Jackson (3+ hour drive away) in their district. Jr High teams making 6-7 hour round trips mid-week. Awful situation.

Truth be told SBEC is a Memphis school in a community that's a Memphis suburb that mostly identifies itself as part of Memphis and is the fastest growing county in Mississippi mostly due to its proximity to Memphis. They've been playing Memphis schools as long as they've existed. Their rivalries are all in Memphis though it was painful to see Bishop Byrne just up the road in Whitehaven close. Fantastic rivalry over the years.

Speaking as a north Mississippi native and Memphis resident I have a perspective that shows me Northpoint simply fits in the TSSAA far more than the Mississippi league. On a related note, Tipton Rosemark and Fayette Academy both used to play in the Mississippi league. Not the only TN schools to do it at various times, either. It happens as has been noted. Not nearly without precedent. In fact Mississippi has both Arkansas and Louisiana schools in the league now. I don't know if any Tennessee schools are currently.

All that being said, I'm just giving explanation as to why Northpoint wanted to be in the TSSAA and likely will always want to be. I get why somebody would question it. It seems odd and probably always will. It wouldn't shock me if somebody eventually tries to push them out if they win enough games. These days, with realignment, it won't be footballl that upsets anybody into challenging the policy.

:)

Don't really have a dog in this one, but I comment when I see something unfair especially concerning the TSSAA.  If the school was in Tenn and decided to move across the state line, then they made the strategic decision to play in the state in which they now reside.  Sorry that the MS school league was too far or too hard or too easy or whatever it was.  That was the school's choice.  Should have found a location inside the state of TN if they wanted to still play in TN.  However, they probably knew what the TSSAA would do and that is sell their soul and the soul of their member schools.  I think, if a school wanted to, any school within 50 miles of the state border should be allowed to petition the TSSAA and play in TN. KY, AL,GA,NC, ARK all ought to be able to play in TN.  The only argument is they were once in TN so let them play in TN even though now in another state-- crazy when you think about it.