Charlie Morgan resigns at Dobyns Bennett

stockton4182

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you imagine that 92-93 team being coached by Van Huss?

They were fantastic.

They just didn't have much depth at all, and they ran into a very talented Memphis Fairley team in the state tournament.

That Fairley team had Sylvester Ford, Marlon Towns and Vincent Rainey I think. They were stacked.

Edited by rolltriberoll

Didn't that guy that plays for the Vols who got hurt this year originally go to DB? Fulkerson I think is his name? He's tough. I like watching him play. I think he transferred to Christ School in NC if I'm not mistaken? Another one that got away from Morgan.

Yes. Transferring really helped his game. I remember watching him at DB and thinking he was a good player but nothing special. He ended up being a great player at Christ School. Christ School has taken quite a bit of talent from the Tri-Cities over the last couple of years. Another kid from DB transferred along with Fulkerson. And Jaylen Allen and Shannon Hale transferred there from Science Hill. Allen is at Wofford, Hale is at Alabama and Fulkerson is at Tennessee.

I mostly just like to give Stockton a hard time. Middleton is the only kid we have had that has transferred in in recent memory. Every kid on our team this year played in Boy's Club together up until now. Born & raised here. Thankfully we have always had the talent where we don't need to rely on transfers. I understand a lot of places aren't that fortunate.

Transfers are GOOOOD!I like them.😊Couldnt help it!Everyone been bashing us on ours.LOL!

Yes. Transferring really helped his game. I remember watching him at DB and thinking he was a good player but nothing special. He ended up being a great player at Christ School. Christ School has taken quite a bit of talent from the Tri-Cities over the last couple of years. Another kid from DB transferred along with Fulkerson. And Jaylen Allen and Shannon Hale transferred there from Science Hill. Allen is at Wofford, Hale is at Alabama and Fulkerson is at Tennessee.

No doubt about it in my mind-if a young man from East Tennessee is serious about playing Division 1 college basketball, their chances are much better of making that happen at a prep school than staying at their local high school. It certainly isn't for everybody and you have to be able to play the game. But if you can indeed play, you will almost certainly get a scholarship going the prep school route because you will be able to demonstrate your skills against quality competition.

There is absolutely no doubt that this has hurt the programs at Science Hill and D-B. Hale was a bigtime recruit no matter where he went to school but Fulkerson really elevated his stock by going to prep school, imo.

Twenty five years ago would anyone have ever imagined that kids would be transferring out of DB and Science Hill to play basketball elsewhere.

Yes. Players were already transferring from Science Hill to prep schools in the early-mid 90's and that was when the school was a national basketball powerhouse. Who was it that I'm thinking of that transferred to Oak Hill?

Edited by WBNC83

No doubt about it in my mind-if a young man from East Tennessee is serious about playing Division 1 college basketball, their chances are much better of making that happen at a prep school than staying at their local high school. It certainly isn't for everybody and you have to be able to play the game. But if you can indeed play, you will almost certainly get a scholarship going the prep school route because you will be able to demonstrate your skills against quality competition.

There is absolutely no doubt that this has hurt the programs at Science Hill and D-B. Hale was a bigtime recruit no matter where he went to school but Fulkerson really elevated his stock by going to prep school, imo.

I agree. Fulkerson made the right decision by transferring. He got the coaching he needed but never would've received at DB. And I know Pat Good from Crockett is at Appy State but I can't help but think had he gone the prep school route he would be playing at a Power 5 school right now. Didn't Hale get suspended indefinitely recently from Bama? I remember he transferred from TN High to Science Hill and then onto Christ School. He had all the potential in the world but a terrible attitude. Edited by WBNC83

Yes. Players were already transferring from Science Hill to prep schools in the early-mid 90's and that was when the school was a national basketball powerhouse. Who was it that I'm thinking of that transferred to Oak Hill?

I remember my pops taking me to a Science Hill/Oak Ridge game in the early 90's at the old Oak Ridge HS gym at the height of when Science Hill was at the top of their game. I remember him saying "This right here is the standard in TN HS basketball" meaning Science Hill. They ended up beating us, but we played them pretty tough. Had some great teams back then ourselves.

I remember my pops taking me to a Science Hill/Oak Ridge game in the early 90's at the old Oak Ridge HS gym at the height of when Science Hill was at the top of their game. I remember him saying "This right here is the standard in TN HS basketball" meaning Science Hill. They ended up beating us, but we played them pretty tough. Had some great teams back then ourselves.

The Oak Hill/Science Hill game when Oak Hill was ranked #1 in the nation and Science Hill beat them was the greatest high school basketball game I've ever been to. I've never seen a high school basketball atmosphere like that and I doubt I ever will again. I will say though that the DB/Science Hill games of the 90's and early 2000's come close. That's back when the rivalry was crazy. Man those were some fun games. We've had some great ones with you all down in Oak Ridge over the years too.

Edited by WBNC83