Coaching Changes

maddams

Has anybody heard about Jackson North Side? Team has won a grand total of 1 game in the last seasons, their record is like 1-43 I believe. Moving into a new district that I believe there will be more team ball. Chester County, McNairy Central, and Lexington (and more) will be the new district. Just curious on what the future is at North Side.

To answer your question, Yes.  They are terrible!  Very little emphasis on women's basketball.

To answer your question, Yes.  They are terrible!  Very little emphasis on women's basketball.

You're 100% right, they are terrible. They're losing games by 30+ points, sometimes by 40, maybe 50. They only averaged about 25-28 points offensively in a game, if they'll go crazy if they surpassed the 32 point mark. However, defensively, they give up 70+ points a night. There's no little emphasis to girls basketball, which is solely more team ball. I don't think they have the talent as well compared to the other schools that will be in their district next year. I would think they will turn the page and decide to start next school year with a new coach. Again, they only have 1 win in the last two seasons (win came against Millington in February who won two games this season, one of them coming against North Side). Crazy to think that 10 years ago, this team was in Murfreesboro year in and year out.

I highly doubt anyone will be interested in the Columbia Central job. I have written it before, there are too many problems there right now. The rumor has been a coach in the county will be getting the job, but I cannot see anyone familiar with it wanting it right now.

I thought Columbia had a decent team a couple years back?? Have they hired yet?

You're 100% right, they are terrible. They're losing games by 30+ points, sometimes by 40, maybe 50. They only averaged about 25-28 points offensively in a game, if they'll go crazy if they surpassed the 32 point mark. However, defensively, they give up 70+ points a night. There's no little emphasis to girls basketball, which is solely more team ball. I don't think they have the talent as well compared to the other schools that will be in their district next year. I would think they will turn the page and decide to start next school year with a new coach. Again, they only have 1 win in the last two seasons (win came against Millington in February who won two games this season, one of them coming against North Side). Crazy to think that 10 years ago, this team was in Murfreesboro year in and year out.

You couldnt have put it any better. I did hear that Jeffries was resigning or retiring so it should be open, but who would want it? The talent level in Jackson for girls is way down and the few girls that can play go to South Side where they can develop and win. They have 2 girls that possibly have potential and thats about it.

Don't think Independence is a better job than Haywood.....

From a basketball talent perspective, you're probably right. But the day job at Indy is 10 times better (teaching load, $$$, etc)  and living in the Spring Hill/ Franklin area is 100 times better than the corn/cotton fields of Brownsville.

There is a reason Justin Timberlake, Faith Hill/Tim McGraw, Kirk Herbstreit, the majority of the Titans players, etc.  all buy houses in that area... it's a pretty nice place to live. 

From a basketball talent perspective, you're probably right. But the day job at Indy is 10 times better (teaching load, $$$, etc)  and living in the Spring Hill/ Franklin area is 100 times better than the corn/cotton fields of Brownsville.

There is a reason Justin Timberlake, Faith Hill/Tim McGraw, Kirk Herbstreit, the majority of the Titans players, etc.  all buy houses in that area... it's a pretty nice place to live. 

those cotton and cornfields are not so bad, one mans heaven is another mans heck.

You couldnt have put it any better. I did hear that Jeffries was resigning or retiring so it should be open, but who would want it? The talent level in Jackson for girls is way down and the few girls that can play go to South Side where they can develop and win. They have 2 girls that possibly have potential and thats about it.

It has to start at the middle school level, which I'm 100% positive that middle school coaches in Madison County are coaching just to get a nice little paycheck, nothing more than that.

Here's what I've noticed. I firmly believe that the High School females athletes will struggle at the High School level if they don't play as a child growing up.I assuming NS girls didn't play basketball (AAU/MAYB, stuff like that) as a child and it is showing pretty bad, it's becoming with females that if you want to be successful athlete at the HS level, have to start early. I just believe NS girls has that problem.

With South Side, Brent McNeal has done a superb job getting that program from the bottom to the top. South Side alum that takes PRIDE in coaching football and girls basketball. Since Coach McNeal is still at a young age (mid 30's I believe), the players respect him, the players relate to them, more importantly, they get it and there's a chemistry between the South Side players and McNeal, that's why they're succeeding. 

Yes, they have two athletes, speed and a post presence, decent 3 point shooting, that's all you need.

The problem with North Side is that they hired multiple coaches in the program since Faris Lowery days who has left the program in worse shape than entering the program. They had talent when Jada Perkins was there, they were a substate team, just couldn't get over the hump. Now, it's a disaster. There's no PRIDE in the North Side girls basketball program as well. Coach Jeffries is a old coach in terms of age, no chemistry and more importantly, no purpose. It will be a total rebuild starting with the upcoming Freshmen that will be entering the program. Step by step.

I didn't know for sure that Jeffries will announce retirement, I will say that AD Leonard Robinson will retire at the end of the school year.

It has to start at the middle school level, which I'm 100% positive that middle school coaches in Madison County are coaching just to get a nice little paycheck, nothing more than that.

I agree with all your post except this. My daughter plays for one of the middle schools in Madison County and her coach is pretty good. She has learned a lot and gotten a lot better in just 1 yr. So, some not all may be coaching just for the check

Add Wilson Central to the list, Coach Wild has moved on again, after assuring everyone  there that he he would not follow his track record and that he was going to stay put. Girls are very disappointed with his (honesty). Franklin High School, don't count on him staying over 3 years.

What do you expect him to say when asked that question? The guy went 25-8, 33-1 and 30-3 in 3 years there including a state tournament. Do you know what you were the 3 years before he got there? 16-11, 12-13 and 18-11. No need for sour grapes. I understand the disappointment but I'd say he did what he was hired to do. 

• Upvote 1

What do you expect him to say when asked that question? The guy went 25-8, 33-1 and 30-3 in 3 years there including a state tournament. Do you know what you were the 3 years before he got there? 16-11, 12-13 and 18-11. No need for sour grapes. I understand the disappointment but I'd say he did what he was hired to do.