Time to disband TSSAA....where does the money go?(your thoughts?)

nebuntyn

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In theory, the TSSAA is a great thing...in practice, not so much. There would be chaos without some governing body presiding, and it requires money to operate.

Now for the bad. TSSAA should do a much better job of enacting and enforcing policies that comply with the wishes of the member schools, as wells as ensuring (as much as possible) that fairness to everyone, and to each individual sport is the main goal. The principal of six football classifications and three for most other sports is baseless...there are far more schools who field basketball programs than football, and condensing them into 1/2 the separate classes is contrary to what "common sense" tells you. I'd love to see football at four or five classes, and all other sports the same. Districts and regions should be comprised of the same schools in all sports in order to form and maintain rivalries across the board.

Scotts Hill is a great example...in football we have recently been and will continue to be pitted against teams from Middle Tennessee of like size to us...in the past (in all other sports) we have been in district 15A, and played schools of similar size from West Tennessee, but now going forward will be in a district with four or five schools twice our size, and only two of relatively the same enrollment. The farthest easterly schools in football to the far west in basketball are approaching 200 miles apart, and only one or two schools are common opponents to both basketball and football programs. Makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Almost forgot the salaries part...non profit = full disclosure...try and find out the salaries...interesting.

Edited by tradertwo

In theory, the TSSAA is a great thing...in practice, not so much. There would be chaos without some governing body presiding, and it requires money to operate.

Now for the bad. TSSAA should do a much better job of enacting and enforcing policies that comply with the wishes of the member schools, as wells as ensuring (as much as possible) that fairness to everyone, and to each individual sport is the main goal. The principal of six football classifications and three for most other sports is baseless...there are far more schools who field basketball programs than football, and condensing them into 1/2 the separate classes is contrary to what "common sense" tells you. I'd love to see football at four or five classes, and all other sports the same. Districts and regions should be comprised of the same schools in all sports in order to form and maintain rivalries across the board.

Scotts Hill is a great example...in football we have recently been and will continue to be pitted against teams from Middle Tennessee of like size to us...in the past (in all other sports) we have been in district 15A, and played schools of similar size from West Tennessee, but now going forward will be in a district with four or five schools twice our size, and only two of relatively the same enrollment. The farthest easterly schools in football to the far west in basketball are approaching 200 miles apart, and only one or two schools are common opponents to both basketball and football programs. Makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Almost forgot the salaries part...non profit = full disclosure...try and find out the salaries...interesting.processe

Tradertwo, I agree, you need a governing body. But it's time for a change. There is nothing special about the TSSAA. IM a logical person and there is no logic in their process. When things don't evolve, there is usually someone or a group of people, with their hands in the pot. Full disclosure is definitely needed. Good post Tradertwo. ðŸ‘🾠Edited by nebuntyn

What's their purpose?

Why do the schools need them?

Where does the money go?

What's their salaries?

When something is not understood, follow the paper trail. Their salaries need to be revealed, from the top down. They definitely have integrity issues.

Do you have specific examples of these "integrity" issues? Otherwise you look like a knuckle-dragger just blabbering. When you make personal attacks against character you should back up your claims.

The TSSAA has an incredibly difficult job to perform as its board made up of memeber schools wish. Having known employees and board memebers I have never thought their character was an issue even when they made decisions that I believed were wrong.

Edited by Playerscoach

• 2 weeks later...

TSSAA overall does a great job .  Remember TSSAA doesn't set the rules they just enforce them.  As with everything in a huge group like this one there are going to be things you don't agree with but overall they are very consistent.  I love high school sports and I have followed a lot throughout my years and I can honestly say I can not name 1 time where I didn't see their side or agree with the decision.  Even ones that wet against my school or our student athletes

TSSAA overall does a great job .  Remember TSSAA doesn't set the rules they just enforce them.  As with everything in a huge group like this one there are going to be things you don't agree with but overall they are very consistent.  I love high school sports and I have followed a lot throughout my years and I can honestly say I can not name 1 time where I didn't see their side or agree with the decision.  Even ones that wet against my school or our student athletes

OK, I'll give you one...two kids transfer from Henry County to Perry County (with TSSAA's blessing) because the mom got a new job in Linden. Six games into the season (all wins), TSSAA rules them ineligible and that PC has to forfeit all six games because the family home in Paris had not been sold yet, even though their address had changed. What should the family have done? Drive the kids back to Paris (100 miles) to school, sell their former home for whatever it would bring, or tell the two sons that they can't play football that year (one was a senior)? The fair thing to have done was to allow them to play, but they stuck to the letter of the law no matter the circumstances.

OK, I'll give you one...two kids transfer from Henry County to Perry County (with TSSAA's blessing) because the mom got a new job in Linden. Six games into the season (all wins), TSSAA rules them ineligible and that PC has to forfeit all six games because the family home in Paris had not been sold yet, even though their address had changed. What should the family have done? Drive the kids back to Paris (100 miles) to school, sell their former home for whatever it would bring, or tell the two sons that they can't play football that year (one was a senior)? The fair thing to have done was to allow them to play, but they stuck to the letter of the law no matter the circumstances.

Trader:

That particular TSSAA rule has snagged others as well. I remember reading about a girls BB team who had a winning season and were about to prepare for post season play when they found out that they had to forfeit basically the whole season, if my memory serves me correctly. In this situation the young lady's parents divorced and she moved with her mom to another address in another town I believe. Since the old address was still active the TSSAA ruled. 

I side with the TSSAA in both situations. they HAVE to enforce that rule, even though folks who didn't realize the extent of the rule are some time victims. It is NECESSARY. 

What should the schools have done? Not play the students. If the parents and the administration of the schools didn't realize the implications of the rule then they have to get a better understanding, or you learn just like they did. I think the TSSAA does spread the word, however, when doing something like this, it is always best to contact the TSSAA to see if your interpretation matches their intent.. Sometimes students just can't play for whatever reason. You may think it's dumb ... but it is necessary. Its one of the functions of the TSSAA that nobody likes ... not even the employees of the TSSAA. They don't like having to tell the school, the parent(s), and the student athlete the bad news. However ... it has to be done and the rule is necessary. I know it stinks when the folk who are impacted thought they were doing everything by the book. That's life. You live, you learn.

Edited by kwc