Next Year's Top Teams in Single A

bobcatfan300

4 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

No Pickett County will have a say in it as well. Clarkrange and Pickett County will both be in the state tournament and I’m predicting they play for the gold ball. 

I think other teams like Summertown, Greenfield, and Huntingdon could also have a say in this too. At the state tournament, it all could come down to the luck of the draw. Clarkrange - Pickett County could be a quarter-finals game in Murfreesboro!  

4 minutes ago, cradle2thegravelakersfan said:

I think other teams like Summertown, Greenfield, and Huntingdon could also have a say in this too. At the state tournament, it all could come down to the luck of the draw. Clarkrange - Pickett County could be a quarter-finals game in Murfreesboro!  

Negative they cannot. Two teams from the same district cannot ply each other in the state tournament until the championship game. 

One thing Ive noticed in Single A girls in West TN is there is zero size. Gibson Co Gleason are both guard based teams. Darby and Moore are the tallest girls on Greenfield Huntingdon has some pretty good size but does not rebound well. Last year at the state tournament there were some BIG girls 

14 minutes ago, ZEBRA35 said:

One thing Ive noticed in Single A girls in West TN is there is zero size. Gibson Co Gleason are both guard based teams. Darby and Moore are the tallest girls on Greenfield Huntingdon has some pretty good size but does not rebound well. Last year at the state tournament there were some BIG girls 

Good point... but as I think about all of the teams across Single A this year, I’m not sure any of them have a true big.

If Greenfield starts clicking on all cylinders, I really think they have a chance to win the ‘ship... but that can be said for Pickett and Clarkrange too...

19 hours ago, cradle2thegravelakersfan said:

Thanks for the correction, but you get what I'm trying to say. A team can be placed in a easy bracket or be placed on murderers' row!

On 1/10/2018 at 6:53 PM, GCPioneer said:

Good point... but as I think about all of the teams across Single A this year, I’m not sure any of them have a true big.

If Greenfield starts clicking on all cylinders, I really think they have a chance to win the ‘ship... but that can be said for Pickett and Clarkrange too...

Agree.  In single A you don’t necessarily have to have a true Big but you do have to have Great guards.   That being said, I was able to make it to the GC v TCA game tonight expecting to see 2 teams that may be able to make it to the Boro and compete.  Both of these teams are Light Years away from competing for a state championship or even competing with Huntingdon and Greenfield out of west TN.   On my count,  between the two teams, there were over 40 turnovers and the defensive pressure applied by either team was not even that intense. You can’t win big games turning the ball over so easily. Neither team seemed to have a guard that was willing to dribble through pressure and then attack the basket. In my opinion, if you don’t have that, you cannot even begin to compete at the state level. Greenfield and Huntingdon appear to be the best bet for a west TN run at state.

8 hours ago, cradle2thegravelakersfan said:

Thanks for the correction, but you get what I'm trying to say. A team can be placed in a easy bracket or be placed on murderers' row!

Both of these teams are loaded with talent. They are the class of single A women’s basketball in this state. No one from east or west is going to beat either one of them this year. It will be another all (7A) final. Yeah I know they are calling it 6A now but it’s still 7A. 

1 hour ago, BullShark said:

Agree.  In single A you don’t necessarily have to have a true Big but you do have to have Great guards.   That being said, I was able to make it to the GC v TCA game tonight expecting to see 2 teams that may be able to make it to the Boro and compete.  Both of these teams are Light Years away from competing for a state championship or even competing with Huntingdon and Greenfield out of west TN.   On my count,  between the two teams, there were over 40 turnovers and the defensive pressure applied by either team was not even that intense. You can’t win big games turning the ball over so easily. Neither team seemed to have a guard that was willing to dribble through pressure and then attack the basket. In my opinion, if you don’t have that, you cannot even begin to compete at the state level. Greenfield and Huntingdon appear to be the best bet for a west TN run at state.

I agree with a lot of what is said here... but at the same time, Gibson lost to Greenfield by 2... and Huntingdon by 2 and 20...

I do agree that both teams struggled against ball pressure tonight, and while they both do have a chance to get hot at tournament time and make a good run, I feel like they’re a level down from Greenfield. I’m not necessarily sold on Huntingdon. They have size, but struggled against ball pressure in the 2 games I saw them.

9 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

I agree with a lot of what is said here... but at the same time, Gibson lost to Greenfield by 2... and Huntingdon by 2 and 20...

I do agree that both teams struggled against ball pressure tonight, and while they both do have a chance to get hot at tournament time and make a good run, I feel like they’re a level down from Greenfield. I’m not necessarily sold on Huntingdon. They have size, but struggled against ball pressure in the 2 games I saw them.

You are probably right about Huntingdon.  I have seen them several times including last year in the state tourney.  They sometimes look good at the guard position and other times appear careless.  What I may be saying here is that west tn may not have any teams that can compete for a state title. Two will make it, but will they really even have a chance for the gold ball?  The answer is "no" unless they have consistent good guard play.  Still a lot of season left....

On 12/1/2017 at 5:11 AM, repoman said:

I could see this unfolding like Jackson county ,Celina few years back. Pickett will probably win the majority against Clarkrange early, but both make state tournament opposite brackets and meet in championship. It's hard to keep beating same good teams over and over, as Celina ended as #1 state champions. This match up is very similiar in the making.

Stickin to my prediction, however I knew Clarkrange would get better as season went on but they are much ahead of schedule they may not lose again. 

13 hours ago, BullShark said:

If you wanna see a team out of the West in single A with good guards and a team that will get after you defensively, you need to check out Peabody. I'll say it again, everyone's sleeping on this group, played a very very tough early schedule but are playing better now and pressuring teams into a ton of turnovers. Have good guards and good post play! I expect this group to finish the season strong. Big game with Gibson Co on Tuesday night, both teams are 5-0 in district play!