Christian Brother coach search

heartbreakkid

National Search?  Congratulations to Coach Harrison, but a national search and you select the coach at Seymour.  I am sure he will do a great job at the Bro's but don't try to sell me this was a National Search.  

Facenthecrowd,

You should probably only throw stones when you have a clue.  As someone who was on the search and hiring committee, I can assure you it was very much a national search.  There were coaches considered from OH, PA, TX, MO, and a few other states and that doesn't even get into those we really couldn't consider due to the fact that they didn't fit the teaching opening available.  While Derek may not have the pop behind his name or former school that would seem to get you excited, we certainly feel he is the right fit for CBHS.  From an outside perspective, I can't tell you how many folks within the wrestling community have reached out and told us what an excellent hire they think Derek is.  

That said, I couldn't be happier with the hire of Derek Harrison to come in and lead the program.  Derek is absolutely a great fit for the CBHS program in terms of leadership style, culture, attitude, goals, teaching fit, etc. and I look forward to being able to continue to work with him.  Derek doesn't need (and I am sure doesn't want) me to extol his virtues here so I won't bother.  He and John Michael Simpson create a great, complimentary nucleus to build the rest of their staff around.

Congrats to Christian Brothers for getting their guy.  He seems to be really involved with youth wrestling through the TWF, maybe he'll ramp up their kids program too.

I am sure Derek will have some input on the kids program, not sure that it needs much of a ramping up though!  That program has been plenty successful and appears to be poised to continue to do so.  However, always open to your feedback on what you think we could do better... should be interesting.

Probably important to keep in mind that the TWF's focus really isn't youth wrestling, it is spring and summer freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling.  They have chosen to leave the youth wrestling stewardship in TN to the TNAAU.

• Upvote 1

Facenthecrowd,

You should probably only throw stones when you have a clue.  As someone who was on the search and hiring committee, I can assure you it was very much a national search.  There were coaches considered from OH, PA, TX, MO, and a few other states and that doesn't even get into those we really couldn't consider due to the fact that they didn't fit the teaching opening available.  While Derek may not have the pop behind his name or former school that would seem to get you excited, we certainly feel he is the right fit for CBHS.  From an outside perspective, I can't tell you how many folks within the wrestling community have reached out and told us what an excellent hire they think Derek is.  

That said, I couldn't be happier with the hire of Derek Harrison to come in and lead the program.  Derek is absolutely a great fit for the CBHS program in terms of leadership style, culture, attitude, goals, teaching fit, etc. and I look forward to being able to continue to work with him.  Derek doesn't need (and I am sure doesn't want) me to extol his virtues here so I won't bother.  He and John Michael Simpson create a great, complimentary nucleus to build the rest of their staff around.

I am sure Derek will have some input on the kids program, not sure that it needs much of a ramping up though!  That program has been plenty successful and appears to be poised to continue to do so.  However, always open to your feedback on what you think we could do better... should be interesting.

Probably important to keep in mind that the TWF's focus really isn't youth wrestling, it is spring and summer freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling.  They have chosen to leave the youth wrestling stewardship in TN to the TNAAU.

Are you really that sensitive?  I did not throw a stone.  As for the National Search question, I think it is valid when you end up hiring a coach from within the state.

As for having a clue, I understand you were on the hiring committee and since you mentioned it, was the interview process for all involved the same?  Did you and the committee attend all of the interviews for the entire time or did you or others come in late, leave early, or not attend at all?  Quit patting yourself on the back and explain to us how you and the hiring committee handled the process as I don't believe all were given the same treatment.  I also can't tell you how many in the wrestling community in Memphis have talked about what transpired with this search and how some were treated.

I congratulate Coach Harrison on getting the job and wish him nothing but the best.  

Hey, just gathered he'd be involved since it is such a big part of his resume:

Harrison devotes much of his time away from King to multiple northeast Tennessee youth wrestling programs as both a coach and administrator. He serves as the assistant coach for Team Tornado Wrestling Club College Division and is the head coach for Team Tornado Wrestling K-12 Division, both positions he has held since 2009. Between the two programs, Harrison works with boys ages 8-18 and teaches Freestyle, Greco, and Folkstyle wrestling.

But glad to hear you think y'all are all squared away and don't need his help.  More time to devote to getting the High School ready.

Just got through watching the Pred's win game 4 with parents who were asking these questions: 1.) Did all of the committee members attend the meetings with the men trying to get the CBHS job or not? 2.) If they attended, did they arrive on time or where they late or did they attend at all? 3.) Did committee members show up late, ask questions, and then leave? These are questions asked at the Nashville Pred's Game party that I attended tonight. I am not throwing stones, just asking questions as to how the National Search went. This is nothing more than a pebble. Talk at the party seemed to differ on how the different finalist were handled. I am curious what happened to the Texas coach? Please advise. Thanks.

Edited by facenthecrowd

Just got through watching the Pred's win game 4 with parents who were asking these questions:1.) Did all of the committee members attend the meetings with the men trying to get the CBHS job or not?2.) If they attended, did they arrive on time or where they late or did they attend at all?3.) Did committee members show up late, ask questions, and they leave? These are questions asked at the Nashville Pred's Game party that I attended tonight.I am not throwing stones, just asking questions as to how the National Search went.This is nothing more than a pebble.Talk at the party seemed to differ on how the different finalist were handled. I am curious what happened to the Texas coach?Please advise.Thanks.

Who cares? Bottom line is that CBHS was able to hire the right man for the job.

How do I know this? All you have to do is look at the results from SER. This was by far the best showing for TN at SER in a long time and it was all because of Derrick. Derrick had over a dozen kids that have been training with him place at SER and most of them were finalist or champions.

The only TN wrestler to place at UWW world team trials in freestyle was the 8th grader that has been training with Derrick for the past year.

Derrick can flat out coach and he is producing champions..

I know a lot people are like CBHS hired a coach from Seymour HS in TN, but let me tell you something when Derrick took over that program exactly 2 years ago, the program barely existed. He had maybe a handful of kids who had even wrestled before and there was no culture of wrestling. In less that 2 years, he not only changed the culture there but of all the programs in the area and he got all of the programs working together towards a common goal of increasing the quality of wrestling in the area. If you look at what he was able to build in this area that doesn't have a lot of resources, a commitment to wrestling and a culture of winning, it really is scary to think what he is going to be able to accomplish in Memphis and CHBS.

Edited by durdon

How do I know this? All you have to do is look at the results from SER. This was by far the best showing for TN at SER in a long time and it was all because of Derrick. Derrick had over a dozen kids that have been training with him place at SER and most of them were finalist or champions.

The only TN wrestler to place at UWW world team trials in freestyle was the 8th grader that has been training with Derrick for the past year.

I know a lot people are like CBHS hired a coach from Seymour HS in TN, but let me tell you something when Derrick took over that program exactly 2 years ago, the program barely existed. He had maybe a handful of kids who had even wrestled before and there was no culture of wrestling. In less that 2 years, he not only changed the culture there but of all the programs in the area and he got all of the programs working together towards a common goal of increasing the quality of wrestling in the area. If you look at what he was able to build in this area that doesn't have a lot of resources, a commitment to wrestling and a culture of winning, it really is scary to think what he is going to be able to accomplish in Memphis and CHBS.

I think a lot of people care.  That is why they are still talking about it.  I guess you probably think that same thing about what is going on in Cleveland.  Who cares?  

I think a lot of people care. That is why they are still talking about it. I guess you probably think that same thing about what is going on in Cleveland. Who cares?

It's great that people care and they should. If you want to debate whether Derrick is the right man for the job or that another coach would have been better then do that but these post questioning the way the search committee handled the search is just silly and who cares about that.

All I'm saying is that Derrick was a great hire and he going to be very successful at CBHS.

P.S. I really could careless about what's happening in Cleveland..

It's great that people care and they should. If you want to debate whether Derrick is the right man for the job or that another coach would have been better then do that but these post questioning the way the search committee handled the search is just silly and who cares about that.

All I'm saying is that Derrick was a great hire and he going to be very successful at CBHS.

P.S. I really could careless about what's happening in Cleveland..

I get the feeling that facenthecrowd is questioning the fact that some people that were interviewed were given the gold star treatment and others were not treated in a professional manner.  If what people are saying is true (we all know about rumors) and some of the more prominent people on the interview committee were not on time for all the interviews, left early from one or more of the interviews or did not show up at all for each and everyone of the interviews, I would agree that it was not done in a professional manner.  Now with that being said I would tell anyone interviewing for a position and a school treated you less than professional, you need to not just walk out the door but run.  Who wants to work with and for someone that is not professional in each and everything that they do?  I have always felt that during the interview I was interviewing the company just like the company was interviewing me.  

Not sure I entirely agree with everything you said here, I will say that anyone can look like a great coach when you have great talent to work with (which he did inherit some guys from other programs). All of those kids lived up to their potential sure and he deserves credit for that, but he had some talented kids to work with at Wolfpack along with the few who wrestled for Seymour MS. Not to mention having Holland helped him immensely, as much as I might have issues with Holland he's done a great job training the kids he has worked with.

Given the timing of it all though, I wonder if Harrison had any 2nd thoughts immediately after the Cleveland job opened up.

Edited by JSamson7

Not sure I entirely agree with everything you said here, I will say that anyone can look like a great coach when you have great talent to work with (which he did inherit some guys from other programs). All of those kids lived up to their potential sure and he deserves credit for that, but he had some talented kids to work with at Wolfpack along with the few who wrestled for Seymour MS. Not to mention having Holland helped him immensely, as much as I might have issues with Holland he's done a great job training the kids he has worked with.

Given the timing of it all though, I wonder if Harrison had any 2nd thoughts immediately after the Cleveland job opened up.