Matthew Mercer's Mound Magic For CCS

bbb

Former major league baseball pitcher Johnny Vandeer Meer set a big league record by throwing consecutive no-hitters in 1938.

But he has nothing on Chattanooga Christian senior Matthew Mercer who tossed back-to-back perfect games earlier this spring for the Chargers.

In the 14-0 win against Bledsoe County, Mercer struck out 11 of 15 batters he faced and against Notre Dame he struck out four of the 15 Irish in the 10-0 victory who came to the plate and no opposing players in either game reached base.

“In the fourth inning of the Bledsoe game I realized I had a perfect game going and thought it would be pretty cool to retire every batter,†said Mercer who has signed a scholarship to pitch for East Tennessee State next school year.

“I also didn’t put any pressure on myself to get every batter out and told myself ‘if it happens it happens.’†stated Mercer who is a product of the Dizzy Dean Baseball program in East Brainerd, made all -star teams from ages eight to 12 and played in two World Series.

In the Notre Dame game he knew in the second or third inning he had a perfect game going and said to himself “why not keep this going.†And he did.

“Matthew is our number one pitcher and is known for being a control pitcher so to throw two perfect games is quite remarkable and a great accomplishment,†said CCS coach Ben Wharton.

Next Pitching Start: Matthew Mercer will pitch against Sequatchie County Monday April 17 at CCS at 5 p.m. EDT.

Edited by bbb

• 1 month later...