New East Transfer

warmachine7954

Here is a Rumor/Specualtion for you bro.....lol...It could be a nice connection but it was speculated that one or more of his top players quit while he was coaching at Hamilton because of him showing favoritism towards his sons.  Apparently, this happened the year Blackman beat Hamilton in the state.  Do you have any info on that?

No, I just saw the IMG job open and it had been mentioned that Chandler and Jonathan were interested in IMG. 

However, my friend that coaches in Huntsville, AL texted me this morning and asked if I'd heard if Chandler had transferred.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I just saw the IMG job open and it had been mentioned that Chandler and Jonathan were interested in IMG. 

However, my friend that coaches in Huntsville, AL texted me this morning and asked if I'd heard if Chandler had transferred.

I don't see Chandler nor Johnathan going to IMG. Here's why I say that. With Keelon and Diedrick transferring from Memphis to Kansas, the focus will be on the two younger sons getting ready for post high school play. The best option is for them to play at East. Especially with the December schedule that East plays during the year. Not to mention, the best competition for the development of the East players will come in practice playing against each other on a daily basis. Why go to a prep school when you can get the same benefit of a prep school, competition-wise, playing at East? No traveling to see them play. No moving to monitor them throughout the year. None of that. It just makes sense to stay at East. Who else has a Penny Hardaway to impart knowledge to hungry, ambitious, basketball minds? 

I don't see Chandler nor Johnathan going to IMG. Here's why I say that. With Keelon and Diedrick transferring from Memphis to Kansas, the focus will be on the two younger sons getting ready for post high school play. The best option is for them to play at East. Especially with the December schedule that East plays during the year. Not to mention, the best competition for the development of the East players will come in practice playing against each other on a daily basis. Why go to a prep school when you can get the same benefit of a prep school, competition-wise, playing at East? No traveling to see them play. No moving to monitor them throughout the year. None of that. It just makes sense to stay at East. Who else has a Penny Hardaway to impart knowledge to hungry, ambitious, basketball minds? 

I totally agree.

I saw it in an article where IMG was mentioned as an option.

:thumb:

Edited by Icy

I can tell.you from 1st hand experience. Any kid that transfers in Memphis the TSSAA looks into it very extensive. Most kids move to better te situation. Parents have moved into our district becasue of our 98 percent avg. of getting our players in college. I will never fault a parent for that. On the other hand we have lost kids to other schools because they wanted more playing time. Some were not elgible and never turned them.in. That would only hurt that kid. Four of them ended up starting and got a free ride to college..If a kid ia unhappy at Mitchell and want to leave, I wish them luck. Staying hurts the kid and your team

I can tell.you from 1st hand experience. Any kid that transfers in Memphis the TSSAA looks into it very extensive. Most kids move to better te situation. Parents have moved into our district becasue of our 98 percent avg. of getting our players in college. I will never fault a parent for that. On the other hand we have lost kids to other schools because they wanted more playing time. Some were not elgible and never turned them.in. That would only hurt that kid. Four of them ended up starting and got a free ride to college..If a kid ia unhappy at Mitchell and want to leave, I wish them luck. Staying hurts the kid and your team

:thumb:

This the best post I have ever read on here. Anytime you turn a kid in it only hurts the kid. It's not hurting the school that was turned in or the school he left. People should start thinking about that. Kids want to play and maybe get a chance to play college ball.

I have no problem with kids transferring as long as it's legit.

The problem is that many of these moves aren't legit. People are being dishonest and encouraging 15-18 year old to be dishonest.

And yes it does (sometimes) hurt the school they transfer from. It.can also indirectly hurt other schools.

Houston will hurt deeply by the loss of Ryan Boyce. Now the coaches over there have to make a choice to either play with what they have or go after another coaches players.

If DJ Jeffries leaves OB do you think OB will be the same kind of team?

At the beginning of the year Bartlett's best player packed up and went to Houston. Bartlett would have been better with that guy. They probably would have won district and maybe their region.

Most coaches understand that it might limit a kid so they don't say anything. That doesn't make it right.

Good point you're making as far as the rippling effect of transfers. But as far as OB goes, they are kinda lucky right now bc they have 3 former memphis kids in there starting 5 lol. Sure DJ is a rare player to come out of a school like that but if they lose him they will return to their normal status of being a pretty good north MS team and losing in the glass house every other year to a Jackson team that year in and out runs MS. Transfers are fine to me but when teams are overpowered is the only time i will complain. I can understand how a coach would feel different though.

I have no problem with kids transferring as long as it's legit.

The problem is that many of these moves aren't legit. People are being dishonest and encouraging 15-18 year old to be dishonest.

And yes it does (sometimes) hurt the school they transfer from. It.can also indirectly hurt other schools.

Houston will hurt deeply by the loss of Ryan Boyce. Now the coaches over there have to make a choice to either play with what they have or go after another coaches players.

If DJ Jeffries leaves OB do you think OB will be the same kind of team?

At the beginning of the year Bartlett's best player packed up and went to Houston. Bartlett would have been better with that guy. They probably would have won district and maybe their region.

Most coaches understand that it might limit a kid so they don't say anything. That doesn't make it right.

There in lies the rub.   A COACH CAN NOT GO AFTER ANOTHER COACH'S PLAYERS......If you think they can,  you do not know the guidelines of the national federation or TSSAA.   I understand many of you hate the TSSAA but they are the only thing between anarchy and sanity in high school athletics......Ethics of coaches should be the primary factor in that, but they are not.   

Remember DJ played at Cordova Middle School..A lot of Memphis top players especially in football parents always get blessed and move to Olive Branch.

There is also the 'attend a school in north Mississippi to be able to keep playing and not sit out a year' reason for folks going to play at OB and other schools in northern Mississippi, such as Southaven and etc. You decide early on that you want to leave the school you play at in Memphis, but you don't want to transfer to another school in Tennessee and then have to sit out a year. What do you do? You get an address in a northern Mississippi high school, like Olive Branch, and you go play there for a year while you sit out your year of purgatory in the Tennessee high school athletic system. The following year you enroll into the high school that you originally wanted to attend and play immediately heaving met the 1 year sitting out requirement. It is an option open to be used, if you are good enough to pull it off. Elite players can do this because the school in Mississippi is going to make sure they have a spot for them on their roster, as well as, the new school in Memphis the following year

This happens quite often. So, then there is that.

There are a lot of legitimate ways to change schools if you don't like the current situation you find yourself in. Just depend on how you and your parents want to go about it. There are a lot of reasons why a player may want to change schools. There are also a lot of ways of going about it. This isn't new. Players have been changing schools in Memphis since forever. It's a part of the process. Some players start at one school and decide they don't want to be there anymore and they change schools. It happens. Football, basketball, baseball, etc.

Have coaches recruited in the past and currently? Yes, of course. However, most coaches remember what happened between Kingsbury and Westwood in football back in the 90's and NO ONE wants a repeat of THAT! Neither of those football programs have ever gotten back to their prominence since that fiasco. That was the DEATH SENTENCE on both programs .... and it was self inflicted by both coaches. Its why coaches don't 'squeal or tattle or report each other' to the TSSAA. Coaches who do get black balled and life become miserable. I know there are some coaches who will, but by and large, most know the unwritten rule, and just flow with things. Who wants the death penalty assessed to their program? Nobody.

Edited by kwc