A/AA week 7 Alcoa breaks into top 10

BigG

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm....list seems a bit inaccurate. Boyd is way overrated and the best team on Fairview's schedule has been Harpeth and they tied them at the beginning of the year. No offense to your side Coach G, but due to recent results I would say CPA should have dropped a bit. Certainly still a top ten team (I'd say 5th), but not third.

Glad to see Loudon getting some love. Loudon is a strong side. They have a center mid (#7 I believe) that is a special talent and should be an all-state nominee. They will give Central Magnet all they want if they meet in a sub-state game. 

Confused on where WH-Heritage is and how Alcoa is just now being recognized. Heritage recently beat Loudon 2-1 in a thriller and lost a close one to White House (#6 on list). Alcoa is loaded with athleticism and speed. They are crushing some strong sides. Personally, I feel these lists are a bit based on prior traditions rather than current talent. I know coaches vote on this stuff, but maybe they lose sight on current form over tradition. Time will certainly tell. Spring fling is right around the corner.  :popcorneater:

Glad to see Loudon getting some love. Loudon is a strong side. They have a center mid (#7 I believe) that is a special talent and should be an all-state nominee. They will give Central Magnet all they want if they meet in a sub-state game. 

Confused on where WH-Heritage is and how Alcoa is just now being recognized. Heritage recently beat Loudon 2-1 in a thriller and lost a close one to White House (#6 on list). Alcoa is loaded with athleticism and speed. They are crushing some strong sides. Personally, I feel these lists are a bit based on prior traditions rather than current talent. I know coaches vote on this stuff, but maybe they lose sight on current form over tradition. Time will certainly tell. Spring fling is right around the corner.  :popcorneater:

Loudon and Alcoa could make some SERIOUS noise in the post season.  Talking with 2 coaches who have played them, they are definitely proving themselves to be feared.  I know I voted them higher than they are, as I did with Alcoa.

Alcoa definitely changes the mix in that district!  CAK plays Alcoa this Friday.

Heritage should make a nice run, too.

Again, these rankings don't mean a whole lot (and definitely don't mean anything in the post season) but they do give us something to debate about, for sure!

I think that not as many coaches know about Coach T as used to. The turnover in high school soccer coaches is pretty great. I have been told we are the exception as the three of us have coached girls and boys soccer at Alcoa for 7 or 8 years (we have added a fourth and he played for us and has been with us for 5 years I think). I know in the time we have coached together some schools have had 3 or 4 different head coaches. I may be wrong, but I think stability and the same voice(s) and the same system year after year is important. I also feel that training matters. All of us have some level of coaching certificate, it may be Level "D" or "E" or a specialty license such as Goalkeeping.  If soccer in Tennessee is going to continue to grow, these things have to happen in my humble opinion. 

:motorbike:

I think that not as many coaches know about Coach T as used to. The turnover in high school soccer coaches is pretty great. I have been told we are the exception as the three of us have coached girls and boys soccer at Alcoa for 7 or 8 years (we have added a fourth and he played for us and has been with us for 5 years I think). I know in the time we have coached together some schools have had 3 or 4 different head coaches. I may be wrong, but I think stability and the same voice(s) and the same system year after year is important. I also feel that training matters. All of us have some level of coaching certificate, it may be Level "D" or "E" or a specialty license such as Goalkeeping.  If soccer in Tennessee is going to continue to grow, these things have to happen in my humble opinion. 

Agreed. Building consistent programs start at the top. Many coaches concede that their talent is not as good as some of the perennial powers and, therefore, set their teams up for mediocrity. I know White House's coach started the program back in the 90s playing co-ed and has pushed through the hard times to get to the success he is having today.

Talent is surely a key piece of the puzzle; however, there are so many intangibles that can be breed into a program to bridge the talent gap. That starts with the coach. Some coaches need to put their tissues away and start coaching their boys up or accept the butt kickings they take year after year.

Congrats on a magical season and I'll be rooting for you all from afar to make the Spring Fling. Best of luck out there in the Wild, Wild East.

I'm not sure who bout---messi is, but he does not represent our program at White House. I do appreciate his support of our program. I took over in '94. There had been soccer for 3 years before I got here. It may have been co-ed at some point, but I've never coached that team. I was a football guy that was asked to coach soccer in order to keep the sport off of the football field. We won 2 games that year; the first two wins in program history. Those boys worked freaking hard!! I decided that if they were willing to give that kind of effort, I should as well. I did. We have been blessed all of these years with a feeder program in White House Youth Soccer at div 2 or 3 and those that choose to be a part of youth travel soccer at a div 1 level at TN United. We have feeder programs and I'm proud to say that Zach Trobaugh (one of our best alum) has trained some of our best current players at some point or another. But our current run is a mirror run of the runs we made in the '90s. We've been in the T$$AA round of eight 9 times. I'm very proud of the status of our program. This year I've not voted us higher than 8-9. I do think we can give anyone a run for their money on a given day. But that's the onus of dealing with high school boys; some days we look stellar and some days we look like I coach them. I've been a big proponent of the split of public/private. That is a complicated issue. I've talked personally with men I respect as Coach Gilman, Brett Armstrong and coach G and they know how I feel. This is the last year that we will all be together. But , I've misquoted by the the media in the last year. The Tennessean picks portions of quotes that I've given them and it makes me look like a whining tissue holding scouser. Last year I was beaten down by the media by 'crying about' being put out by privates. They put my quote 'on line' that was not put in print that "at some point we have to be mean enough and tough enough to beat them". I mean that. I do believe in my beliefs that's it an unfair playing field when you don't have a limited zone. We have White House, Millersville, and a portion of the Cottontown mailing address. That's it. But, until the split happens, we've got to get tough enough to beat one of them boys. We are 3-3 in post season vs. CPA. Beat others along the way over the years. Back to the subject- I'm proud we are mentioned in your Coach T topic. I've nothing but respect for coach G from the time in the 90's he was at CAK and we we played at Lenoir City til 2 years ago when we lost on PK in the sectionals. He and his wife were both class acts/bar none after that game! Messi's belief that the polls are biased are correct. There are about 10-12 of us that vote. Contact him if you want to get involved. It's a guess. I do appreciate Coach G for contacting many of us to get our input. On a final note: I'm not a liscened A-Z coach, but our boys are training very hard to get mean enough and tough enough.... CPA: agreed; no sectionals.

I'm not sure who bout---messi is, but he does not represent our program at White House. I do appreciate his support of our program. I took over in '94. There had been soccer for 3 years before I got here. It may have been co-ed at some point, but I've never coached that team. I was a football guy that was asked to coach soccer in order to keep the sport off of the football field. We won 2 games that year; the first two wins in program history. Those boys worked freaking hard!! I decided that if they were willing to give that kind of effort, I should as well. I did. We have been blessed all of these years with a feeder program in White House Youth Soccer at div 2 or 3 and those that choose to be a part of youth travel soccer at a div 1 level at TN United. We have feeder programs and I'm proud to say that Zach Trobaugh (one of our best alum) has trained some of our best current players at some point or another. But our current run is a mirror run of the runs we made in the '90s. We've been in the T$$AA round of eight 9 times. I'm very proud of the status of our program. This year I've not voted us higher than 8-9. I do think we can give anyone a run for their money on a given day. But that's the onus of dealing with high school boys; some days we look stellar and some days we look like I coach them. I've been a big proponent of the split of public/private. That is a complicated issue. I've talked personally with men I respect as Coach Gilman, Brett Armstrong and coach G and they know how I feel. This is the last year that we will all be together. But , I've misquoted by the the media in the last year. The Tennessean picks portions of quotes that I've given them and it makes me look like a whining tissue holding scouser. Last year I was beaten down by the media by 'crying about' being put out by privates. They put my quote 'on line' that was not put in print that "at some point we have to be mean enough and tough enough to beat them". I mean that. I do believe in my beliefs that's it an unfair playing field when you don't have a limited zone. We have White House, Millersville, and a portion of the Cottontown mailing address. That's it. But, until the split happens, we've got to get tough enough to beat one of them boys. We are 3-3 in post season vs. CPA. Beat others along the way over the years. Back to the subject- I'm proud we are mentioned in your Coach T topic. I've nothing but respect for coach G from the time in the 90's he was at CAK and we we played at Lenoir City til 2 years ago when we lost on PK in the sectionals. He and his wife were both class acts/bar none after that game! Messi's belief that the polls are biased are correct. There are about 10-12 of us that vote. Contact him if you want to get involved. It's a guess. I do appreciate Coach G for contacting many of us to get our input. On a final note: I'm not a liscened A-Z coach, but our boys are training very hard to get mean enough and tough enough.... CPA: agreed; no sectionals.

Hi Pride8

I think if you and I were to sit down, we would agree on the Public/Private split. Coach T is a wonderful forum for soccer and all the other high school sports it serves. I just wish more folks knew about it. Sharing knowledge, opinions and just getting to know others involved in soccer around the state is a wonderful form of comradery. I would have never met Coach G if not for Coach T. I would have been a poorer person for not meeting him. I feel that most folks that post in the Coach T forums do so with respect and good taste. "Aboutmessi" is an example of this in the posts I have read from him. He obviously cares about soccer and your program in particular. He represents your program well in the posts I have read. 

I applaud you for getting involved with soccer at your school. I am an old football/basketball/baseball guy and did not know anything about soccer until my son started playing at 4 years of age (I am not sure that I know much about soccer now!!). At 9 he wanted to try being a keeper and there was no one to coach him, so I watched videos, read books and talked to other keepers. Somehow we muddled through and inspite of my coaching he had a successful high school and college career. I am sure you did many of these same things to teach yourself about soccer so you could give the best experience possible to all those players that work so hard for you. Getting a coaching license (A-Z as you put it) is not a be all or end all, but I would imagine you have put in all the hours on an individual basis that would be required to be certified. Nothing wrong with not being certified, but for me, it was a great experience and I learned so much from not only the courses but those fine people I took them with. My point in all this is to say, the more we all know about "The Beautiful" Game", the better we can coach and the more soccer will grow in Tennessee. A person may get licensed, or he/she may not, but putting in the time to learn and grow as a coach is a part of what we are trying to teach young men and women. Never stop learning, never stop growing. Sermon over, Pass the plate!!