Pitching Rules No more revert

davidlimbaugh

This is good and how it should be.  Little League uses the revert rule stuff and for the life of me I can't understand the logic behind it...especially since the rules are in place for arm safety.  A pitch thrown is a pitch thrown so pitchers shouldn't get to throw say 50 but only get charged for 43. This will also force coaches to make decisions about pulling a pitcher in the middle of a batter or not. Good for TSSAA for getting it right!

My observation has always been that the average high school pitcher begins to tire at between 60-75 pitches.  Yes, the top tier guys may be able to reach 90 pitches before their mechanics begin to erode but we are talking about the average high school pitcher.  What high school teams need are strike throwers that are not afraid of throwing to contact and allowing their defense the opportunity to make plays.  Good coaching can take position players and develop them into strike throwers.

Edited by cbg

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/31/2017 at 4:54 PM, Dingerdad said:

David, you seem in the know. Whats up with the Modified pitchers stance rule? Vince is the only umpire that called this in our area. (upper Cumberland) . Yet watching the state tourn, almost every pitcher used a modified stance with front foot in front of the rubber.

As blue says - no more 'hybrid' or 'modified' stances in high school baseball will be allowed. It was never 'allowed', just 'tolerated'. Now it is not tolerated. https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/baseball-points-of-emphasis-2018/  

Proper Pitching Positions
The rules that govern the pitcher’s movement and his position on the pitcher’s plate have not varied over the years. However, modified or hybrid positions continually are developed and are attempted to be introduced into the high school game. While these creative pitcher's stances might work for advance levels of baseball, they are not appropriate for interscholastic baseball. Our rules are perfect for the age and skill level of the students for whom we write playing rules. The game has evolved over the years and new equipment and strategies have been very beneficial for our game. However, there are some things that stand the test of time
and the proper position of the pitcher is one of those rules that enjoys a rich tradition.

The pitching requirements begin once he engages the pitcher’s plate. In NFHS sanctioned baseball, there are only two positions the pitcher can possess, the windup and the set (also known as the stretch) position. The starting position of the non-pivot foot determines whether the pitcher is going to pitch from the windup or set position.

Pitchers in the windup position are required to have their non-pivot foot in any position on or behind a line extending through the front edge of the pitcher’s plate. If a pitcher’s non-pivot foot is in front of that line and he attempts to pitch from the windup, he has made an illegal pitch or committed a balk.

In the set position, he shall stand with his entire non-pivot foot in front of a line extending through the front edge of the pitcher’s plate and with his entire pivot foot in contact with or directly in front of the pitcher’s plate. He shall go to the set position without delay and in one continuous motion; he shall come to a complete and discernible stop, which does not include a change of direction with both hands in front of his body and his glove at or below his chin.

Going to the mouth while in contact with the pitcher’s plate is a balk, not because the pitcher goes to his mouth, but because the action simulates the start of the pitching motion.

Umpires must be aware of the position of the non-pivot foot. Practice the skills to determine if the pitch is legal or illegal. It is imperative that the pitching positions and movement are completely understood. These requirements provide guidance that the batter and base runner(s) know when they can swing and run and when the pitcher is in a position to deliver the ball, creating a level playing field for all involved with the game.