Head coach at Powell

TennBoy

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Powell has been one of the more solid programs in the Knoxville area over the past decade.  They have been in the sub-state 2 of the last 4 years, and have just come up short of getting to the Spring Fling.  It's a good program that has turned out two guys currently in pro ball (The Owenby Brothers) and countless guys who either did or currently are having solid college careers from D1 to juco baseball.  

I am going by memory here, but I believe that this past year was the first time since 2005 that Powell hasn't made region play.  

Replacing Jay Scarbro isn't going to be an easy thing.  He did a really good job in his tenure there.  The problem is that there just aren't many teaching positions open at Powell High, and that has scared away some very good candidates who were initially interested in the job.  Jay wasn't a teacher, he was a guidance counselor, so he didn't leave an open teaching position when he left for First Baptist Academy.   I don't know this for sure but I have a feeling that the new coach will be one who already had a teaching position in Knox County, and one that he can keep and coach baseball at Powell.  

It's my personal policy not to mention names of potential candidates that I have either been told from them directly or those close to them are interested in particular jobs.  I don't feel comfortable potentially getting them in hot water with their current administrations.  

That said, I do know of a few guys who are interested, a couple of those currently assistants in Knox County.  I have a feeling that the new coach will come from one of those already in the system.  

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:45 PM, HTV said:

Powell has been one of the more solid programs in the Knoxville area over the past decade.  They have been in the sub-state 2 of the last 4 years, and have just come up short of getting to the Spring Fling.  It's a good program that has turned out two guys currently in pro ball (The Owenby Brothers) and countless guys who either did or currently are having solid college careers from D1 to juco baseball.  

I am going by memory here, but I believe that this past year was the first time since 2005 that Powell hasn't made region play.  

Replacing Jay Scarbro isn't going to be an easy thing.  He did a really good job in his tenure there.  The problem is that there just aren't many teaching positions open at Powell High, and that has scared away some very good candidates who were initially interested in the job.  Jay wasn't a teacher, he was a guidance counselor, so he didn't leave an open teaching position when he left for First Baptist Academy.   I don't know this for sure but I have a feeling that the new coach will be one who already had a teaching position in Knox County, and one that he can keep and coach baseball at Powell.  

It's my personal policy not to mention names of potential candidates that I have either been told from them directly or those close to them are interested in particular jobs.  I don't feel comfortable potentially getting them in hot water with their current administrations.  

That said, I do know of a few guys who are interested, a couple of those currently assistants in Knox County.  I have a feeling that the new coach will come from one of those already in the system.  

Love the "Go Army Beat Navy

11 hours ago, TennBoy said:

Any news yet on the search? Any idea if interviews have started or how close they are to finding their man HTV?

Not sure exactly where they are at this point, but I don't think anybody has been interviewed yet.  I'm not as close to things at Powell as I once was.  What information I have gotten has been from talking to guys who expressed initial interest in the job, some indicating that they were going to officially apply, and others who likely weren't since there are so few teaching jobs open at Powell High.  

As I understand it, the administrators have had some down time the last couple of weeks during the "dead period", and they come back tomorrow on a more regular basis.  I have to believe that things will heat up this week.  It's only about a month before school starts.  

But that said, as I posted earlier, I expect the hire to come from within the Knox County system - somebody already teaching in Knox County.  I'm not expecting a current head coach outside or the system to be the hire.  Maybe I will be proved wrong, but I expect it to be a current assistant already in the system.  But that's just my gut feeling.