2017 Season underway

SummaryJudgment

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:27 PM, bratman said:

When my daughter went to college she was part of a study that talks about how much rest a college athlete needs.  The results were eye opening.  A Division 1 athlete needs a minimum of 4-5 months away from the sport and from anything close to serious training to stay healthy.  When I played pro ball our contract gave us a MINIMUM of 4 months away from the club, and we were NOT allowed to do anything physical in able to let our body rest.  A high school athlete should have the same time off as a college or pro athlete, even more.

Parents have gone sports crazy, and clubs are so motivated by the dollar that they create a false idea that year round play makes you a better player.  I would offer that it is the quality, not the quantity, of what you receive that makes you a better player.

i stand with my last week of July Start for high school.  Back the state tournament back up to the end of October.  Start games the last week of August.  No club play until February and end by first of June.  How would this do anything but help the athlete?  

The schedule has to start with USA Volleyball but as stated earlier, they push the HP program during the "off season".  The top clubs in the country (OC, KIVA, A5, Munciana, etc.) pretty much play year round and they attribute their success to their training program.  I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but it goes back to trying to keep up with the Jones.  That's where USA Volleyball would have to implement a national dead period but unfortunately there's to much money at stake. 

TT, I think you hit the nail on the head, it is about MONEY.  These are our children.  It makes no sense why college and pro athletes are restricted from year round play but not the children.  10 years from now we are going to look back and wonder what we were thinking.  The long term negative effects of the physical and mental strain we put on these children's body is wrong.

Just watched an interview with the director of the concussion legacy foundation.  He is a Harvard trained physician and former college football player.  His foundation believes that CTE is not caused by five or six big hits, instead he believes that it is the hundreds/thousands of small hits that youth players receive by playing tackle football as children.

This medical organization is proposing legislation to limit helmets and pads until players are 16.  What was interesting is that they don't limit the negative effect to just football.  They are documenting the negative effects of over training on children.  The doctors believe that children shouldn't have intense physical training until their bodies completely developed.  Usually between 15-20.  

The long term physical effects we won't see until this generation hits their 50's, and my fear is if those of us who love volleyball and love our daughters don't start speaking out it will be do late.

i am interested in hearing from someone who supports year round play and intense physical training for 12-18 year old children, and why they think this is good for the children.

My daughter plays high school and club ball.  She plays on a high level 1's team and has played club since 8 or so.  I am a little unclear on what your opinion of "intense physical training" is.  IMO, my daughter hasn't experienced that at this point.  Her club team practices 3 or 4 times a week for 2-3 hours.  Usually one of those days in a strength training/agility session (not weights).  Her high school team starts practice in July, but is only 2-3 days a week.   I know there are clubs out there that practice way more than that...and that might be the clubs you are talking about. I would be interested to know what practice schedules for other clubs in our state look like.   Our daughter loves it, and to this point hasn't been too overwhelmed by it, however she is still young and that time might come.   She will have off Oct-Dec.  Club might start a little bit of practice in Dec but not too much.  Usually after nationals till Mid July is pretty light as well.     Now if she played at a powerhouse high school, they might go harder starting in June, but honestly, I am not sure about that.    It def isn't for every kid but so far it has been a great experience.  If she were to stop playing--it would be high school mainly because it isn't taken seriously at all and has very little support. 

With all due respect to our little angels, volleyball is not exactly a physically demanding sport.  There's a reason volleyballs popularity is growing faster than basketball and other sports.  There's less running in volleyball than just about any sport, there's no physical contact unless it's your teammate, and the girls can be girls more so than soccer and basketball.

My daughter plays on a 1 team and attends one of the schools with an elite high school program (Go Bruins).  I agree there needs to be down time and I purposely build that down time into her schedule.  They do get 3 months off IF you add the time up.  Nationals in June and a couple of 3 day camps these past weeks means she has played just 6 days of volleyball in 7 weeks and that is ALL she's done besides swim and jump rope.  They'll pretty much have Nov and a lot Dec before club ball gets into the swing of things (pun intended). 

As I stated before, I agree that limiting playing and practice time is needed but it will not happen unless USA Volleyball requires it.

I agree with you both, to a point.  For clarification my youngest graduated more than 10 years ago and I am sure much has changed.  I am looking at this from the perspective of a physician and retired pro athlete.  

I respectfully disagree with the stress on the body.  The jumping, and the the lateral net movement puts more stress on the body than running.  Don't equate contact injuries with long term stress injuries.  Think Tiger Woods.

It's great that your coaches don't allow weights!  Those should be outlawed for high school athletes.

In Louisville, our best club practiced in December, and when I observed their high schools the level of competition was way higher than what I saw in Tennessee.  Also more intense.

Good comments.

Bad jumping and landing will weaken the ligaments in the knee and can lead to an ACL tear. Girls hip to knee ratio can naturally leads to valgus collapse (knees pointed in toward each other).  

Thank God my daughter worked with a PT who used technology to give her exercises to correct the valgus collapse.  She had to relearn how to jump and land properly. 

It was hard at the age of 16 for my daughter to relearn this. If girls were taught at the age of 10 or so how to jump and land properly, then they would not create bad habits.

Quick review of the Father Ryan playday:

Brentwood is not the same team without Logan and Garrett. Still good, but more human.

Brentwood Academy is going to make some noise. Very strong team.

Houston is for real. Second time seeing them.

Father Ryan is scrappy as expected. No hitters of note though.

Looking forward to seeing Siegel this weekend at the Blastoff.

Catholic has the best player in Knoxville with Cunningham.  They won state last year, lost some great talent, but she is a special talent.  The setting limits her, but if her supporting cast will get her the ball then they could repeat.

Webb is the top team, again, in town.  This should be another easy ride to the state title.  

Farragut without Parker who graduated is not the same team.  It is a shame they didn't win while they had her, I don't see them making a run.  HV may pass them this year.  They don't have a star play like Cunningham, but they are solid.

No one else in town will make any noise.  

If HV had a talent like Cunningham, or if Catholic had a stronger setter or a stronger supporting cast, they would be a lock.  I think Catholic should repeat, HV will need to beat those strong Nashville area teams and I don't know if they can.

HV does have a hammer of their own in Mandy Prescott. She can crush a ball. That said, they lost to Brentwood a few weeks ago before Logan left for her USA play. Logan will of course be back to help her team. As for AA, I am looking forward to seeing Signal Mountain on Saturday as well. I'll have a better idea as to their prospects. Catholic lost two great players.....

I agree on Prescott.  She has much better talent around her than Cunningham who is essentially a one man show.  Let me know how Signal Mountain looks.  Have you watch Cunningham yet, or seen her in club.  She is better than what they lost, the problem is they need a setter and one more hitter or team will just key on her.  Tough break on the Brentwood player she was fun.  Wasn't she committed to Texas?