USA Cadet & Junior Nationals

cbg

Day 3 of Cadets freestyle is over and Cooper Flynn finishes 5th place is a Fargo AA. 

Day 2 of  junior Freestyle is in the books and Sammy Even has made his way to semifinals and guaranteed himself AA.  

Here is the Day Two Records..

Junior Freestyle
145 – Elijah Hodge 0-2 
160 – Drew Nicholson 3-2
182 – Eric Hodge 0-2 
220 – Grayson Walthall 1-2
285 – Samson Evans, 4-0 

285 - Alex Green 2-2

Edited by durdon

3 hours ago, Thethunda190 said:

Hmmm Iowa isn't looking at 100 pound high school kids? Kurt Mchenry is the number 1 recruit in the nation and He has wrestled at 100 this summer. Sam Latona won Fargo at 88 last year and he is ranked 3rd in the country at 106 now and is one of the top recruits in the country. Spencer Lee the top recruit in the country last year wrestled 113 for almost his hole high school career. Cooper is just in 8th grade pretty sure he will be getting bigger threw out his high school career but if not I can almost bet money big colleges will still be looking at him. 

Those kids are ranked 1 and 3 at 106. That doesn't make them the "number 1 recruit in the nation". Spencer Lee did not wrestle 113 last year, he moved to 120. Do you think this is a coincidence? My guess is no. He moved to grow into the weight so he could grow into 125 in college. But that's all he said, was that he needs to grow to get looked at by big name colleges. How in the world can you possibly take offence to that? Are you that thin skinned?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ummmno said:

Those kids are ranked 1 and 3 at 106. That doesn't make them the "number 1 recruit in the nation". Spencer Lee did not wrestle 113 last year, he moved to 120. Do you think this is a coincidence? My guess is no. He moved to grow into the weight so he could grow into 125 in college. But that's all he said, was that he needs to grow to get looked at by big name colleges. How in the world can you possibly take offence to that? Are you that thin skinned?

Uh what are you talking about?  Kurt Mchenry is number one target on Penn States big board.  If Sorenano leaves that will put Penn State in a bind cause no other top light weights this year and next  will go there since Mchenry is a  heavy lean to go there in 2 years.  Last time I checked Penn State was pretty decent wrestling school.  Kurt just wrestled 100p a few months ago as a sophomore.  Latona is being recruited by the more than 30 of the top programs in the country including VA Tech where is brother was a starter this year.  He won Fargo last year as a 2nd year cadet at 88 pounds. 

Cooper is just an 8th grader and a first year cadet.    He barely started puberty and he has plenty of time to grow.  He can't help it he is small right now.  But you know what Cooper rode in a van for 23 hours to represent the state of TN and he is the only cadet to earn a stop sign this year so I'm not sure why you aren't clebrating that and celebrating this kid instead of trying to find ways to knock him.  

13 hours ago, Ummmno said:

Lighten up kid. What exactly did he say that was so offensive to you? That he must have cut hard to make 94lbs? He more than likely did. That he's going to have to get bigger in high school if he wants to get any college offers? Last I checked Iowa isn't looking for a 100 pound high schooler. So what exactly was it about his comment that showed how much of a joke he is?

Exactly.... He cut hard to make 94 I can assure you. He is a good kid and I hope he does well wherever he goes, but this guy (FromUnda) gets his panties in a bunch too often.

125ers these days tend to be around 140 or higher before they cut down. Not saying he'll never get to that size, but I've seen plenty of AA's at these weights who never quite make the jump. One in particular lives/coaches in the Knoxville area, but it's not the worst thing in the world to be an AA in HS without making a mark on the D1 level. Sean Hage from GA is a prime example, but FromUnda wouldn't know about that.

Edited by JSamson7

Congratulations to both Cooper Flynn and Sammy Evans for the way that they competed and became USA Wrestling Cadet & Junior All-Americans.  It would be nice if Tennessee could get more of the best kids to attend this great event.  There is no reason that Tennessee does not take 20-25 kids out to Fargo every year other than many of the wrestlers from Tennessee don't want to be challenged by wrestling against the best wrestlers in the country.

Edited by cbg

On 7/18/2017 at 7:46 AM, cbg said:

......... There is no reason that Tennessee does not take 20-25 kids out to Fargo every year other than many of the wrestlers from Tennessee don't want to be challenged by wrestling against the best wrestlers in the country.

That's not true at all.  How many kids competed in the SE Regions?  How many competed in the TWF State tournament?

Not enough. 

Many people I talk to don't see the need to spend the money on the trip to Fargo when their kids are not being developed enough here in TN to make a competitive run. 

Until all of TN starts to take a bigger interest in FS/GR these numbers are going to be the norm.  

Congrats to Cooper and Sammy.   I was glad to see them representing!

2 hours ago, mat73557 said:

That's not true at all.  How many kids competed in the SE Regions?  How many competed in the TWF State tournament?

Not enough. 

Many people I talk to don't see the need to spend the money on the trip to Fargo when their kids are not being developed enough here in TN to make a competitive run. 

Until all of TN starts to take a bigger interest in FS/GR these numbers are going to be the norm.  

Congrats to Cooper and Sammy.   I was glad to see them representing!

mat73557,

Just want to ask a few of questions:

1.  Do you agree that more college recruiters are at the USA Wrestling Cadet & Junior Nationals than any other tournament?

2.  Do college recruiters want to see how kids from Tennessee do against national competition because Tennessee is not considered one of the top 10 states for high school wrestling?

3.  What recent Tennessee wrestlers have been recruited by NCAA D1 college programs other than The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and did not compete in Fargo?

4.  What Tennessee wrestlers in the past 20 years have become NCAA D1 All-Americans and have not competed in Fargo?

The facts are really pretty simple.  If you are a high school wrestler in Tennessee with the dream of wrestling at the NCAA D1 level you need to compete at the USA Wrestling Cadet & Junior Nationals.  You not only will be exposed to the best competition in the USA but you can prove to the top coaches that they need to actively recruit you.  Yes, it's not inexpensive to make the trip to Fargo but it's really a pay me now or pay me later scenario.  Yes, some wrestlers have been recruited that did not compete in Fargo and did well on the NCAA D1 level but the percentages drop dramatically.  Tom Brands has stated many times before that he requires all the kids that he is recruiting to attend the USA Wrestling Cadet & Junior Nationals both before and after he signs them.  If he signs them and they don't attend the tournament he dramatically reduces their scholarship.

We are here in Fargo now and see that TN has to step it up for our kids to compete.  If every high school coach made a commitment to get at least 1 kid to Fargo each year think of how tremendous that would be! It isn't cheap to come here. This is our summer vacation. It's about priorities. This was important to our son and we were gonna get him here. He did odd jobs around our town and raised some of the money himself. We see this as an investment in his wrestling future. He has lost some and won some so far. He has wrestled and practiced with the best kids in the country. This experience is priceless for him. Coaches please make it happen. When we get a large number coming next year, hopefully, we need to be organized and come as a team. That helps the boys also. We have been on our own kind of and that isn't good. Tennessee needs to be a presence! 

cbg,

Originally you said that most wrestlers from TN don't want to be challenged by wrestling against the best that the country has to offer.  I disagreed.

I think that kids from TN are like kids from anywhere else, they want to be challenged.  They also want to be competitive.

One thing I learned from traveling to many out of state events and camps is that the success of a wrestler from any given area is almost always connected to the collective success of ALL of the wrestlers in that area.

For example, I see most TN state champions going to to national FS/GR tournaments and getting manhandled by kids from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Illinois and Ohio.  Why is that?  Is it because that kid didn't go to enough national tournaments and face the best competition?

No...it is because TN is not as committed to FS and Greco as those other states and those kids don't have the practice partners to push them up to the next level.

Practice rooms are where champions are made. 

You mentioned recruiting.  I agree that there are lots of college coaches at Fargo.  I'm sorry but I do not think that they are there to recruit kids from TN however.  First, there are what, three college programs in the state?  Most coaches are looking for kids who are either super studs or solid kids who are closer to their home school. 

Now, there are exceptions.  guys like Jordan Leen, Matt Keller and now, guys like Boykin, Flynn, Reiniche.  Those kids of wrestlers have divine gifts to compliment their work ethic and toughness.

I would like to see TN increase the offering here at home for good competition.  At the TN State FS/GR tournament, there were about 8 kids per bracket in the junior division.  EIGHT.  That's not going to cut it. 

That's all I'm saying.  If we were going to see 20 or 25 kids a year to Fargo, I would like to see most of them having the ability to at least medal at SE regions.  Particularly the juniors.