4AAA 2017-18

QSouth89

I hope this board draws more interest than 4AA. With school starting in a few weeks (year round schools have already) hoops will be soon on the minds. Yes I know football is in full swing but I love basketball. With the Irish making a return to the district I was just curious about all the teams in 4AAA. I know Bearden brings back 4 starters and their top 3 subs. Catholic returns two starters and are trying to replace 5 really good seniors.

I didn't realize Catholic was moving back to AAA. Who is dropping out of the district?

I'm sure Catholic will be right in the mix, but I think Bearden will be the team to beat in 4AAA- the core of their team was their sophomores last year so on paper they should be better this year and they made state tourney last year. Maryville should be very solid as always- Sophomore Joe Anderson is back at PG after a great freshman year and is a bonafide D1 PG prospect, IMO.

40 minutes ago, Norman Dale said:

I didn't realize Catholic was moving back to AAA. Who is dropping out of the district?

I'm sure Catholic will be right in the mix, but I think Bearden will be the team to beat in 4AAA- the core of their team was their sophomores last year so on paper they should be better this year and they made state tourney last year. Maryville should be very solid as always- Sophomore Joe Anderson is back at PG after a great freshman year and is a bonafide D1 PG prospect, IMO.

From what I gather no one dropped out. They are playing a 16 game district schedule.

• 3 weeks later...

Correct, no team dropped out of 4-AAA. Catholic moved in, making it a 9 team district.  District 4-AAA and Region 2-AAA have always been one of the best (top to bottom) in East TN, and now just got a bit tougher with the addition of the Fighting Irish. Best of luck to all the teams. 

Teams in alphabetical order:

Bearden, Catholic, Farragut, Hardin Valley, Heritage, Lenoir City, Maryville, West, William Blount

Edited by threeball

• 1 month later...

Having Catholic in the district will be interesting this year. Catholic also picked up Akeem this year after the Knox Christian issue. That'll give them some firepower, but they did lose a few seniors. Bearden has a lot of talent, but a few injuries coming into the season, so we'll see how that plays out. With a healthy team, I would still expect Bearden to be the team to beat, then Catholic. I think Maryville will still have a decent team, but not the powerhouse they've been in the last few years. Farragut is rebuilding and HVA has a lot of seniors, but don't expect they can take district.  Heritage, West or WB I see as .500 teams and not sure how strong Lenior City will be. Regions will be interesting with OR losing all those seniors. 

22 hours ago, Chinadog said:

Having Catholic in the district will be interesting this year. Catholic also picked up Akeem this year after the Knox Christian issue. That'll give them some firepower, but they did lose a few seniors. Bearden has a lot of talent, but a few injuries coming into the season, so we'll see how that plays out. With a healthy team, I would still expect Bearden to be the team to beat, then Catholic. I think Maryville will still have a decent team, but not the powerhouse they've been in the last few years. Farragut is rebuilding and HVA has a lot of seniors, but don't expect they can take district.  Heritage, West or WB I see as .500 teams and not sure how strong Lenior City will be. Regions will be interesting with OR losing all those seniors. 

I've seen the Bearden players in the Rocky Top and they look talented.  I haven't seen any of the teams play the last few years except for Bearden, Catholic and Farragut. I was curious about the rest of the teams.

• 2 weeks later...

Typically, this district has been won by Bearden or Maryville (I believe 15 out of the last 17 years has been either Bearden or Maryville). Therefore, those two have to be on the top of your list yearly... I do believe Catholic will be very competitive coming into the district.  Coach Hutchens does an outstanding job... and always has great talent.  Farragut just added Coach Higgins as their coach, which could provide some park for that storied program (I've always thought Farragut has had a lot of potential), Hardin Valley returns some good players, especially the PG... strong player.  Lenoir City returns one of the better players in the district in 6'5" wing Deacon... should have some added talent to go with him this year.... could be better than some think... Heritage has a new coach in Coach Leatherwood, still up in the air to see how that changes things... I personally think he is very capable and will continue the expectations set by Coach Duncan. I think they have a couple talented sophomores who will contribute heavily this season.  West is always hard to predict... but Coach Kessler gets his players to produce yearly... especially late in the season... I think they will be a tough out come tournament time.  William Blount has some quality players returning, and should be a solid team in the district... 

So, to clarify:

Bearden, Maryville battling for tops, with the rest (Catholic, Hardin Valley, Farragut, West, William Blount, Heritage, and Lenoir City) fighting for the top 4 spots...

That being said, I firmly believe anyone in this district can beat anyone else on any given night... 

On 10/4/2017 at 10:21 PM, threeball said:

Typically, this district has been won by Bearden or Maryville (I believe 15 out of the last 17 years has been either Bearden or Maryville). Therefore, those two have to be on the top of your list yearly... I do believe Catholic will be very competitive coming into the district.  Coach Hutchens does an outstanding job... and always has great talent.  Farragut just added Coach Higgins as their coach, which could provide some park for that storied program (I've always thought Farragut has had a lot of potential), Hardin Valley returns some good players, especially the PG... strong player.  Lenoir City returns one of the better players in the district in 6'5" wing Deacon... should have some added talent to go with him this year.... could be better than some think... Heritage has a new coach in Coach Leatherwood, still up in the air to see how that changes things... I personally think he is very capable and will continue the expectations set by Coach Duncan. I think they have a couple talented sophomores who will contribute heavily this season.  West is always hard to predict... but Coach Kessler gets his players to produce yearly... especially late in the season... I think they will be a tough out come tournament time.  William Blount has some quality players returning, and should be a solid team in the district... 

So, to clarify:

Bearden, Maryville battling for tops, with the rest (Catholic, Hardin Valley, Farragut, West, William Blount, Heritage, and Lenoir City) fighting for the top 4 spots...

That being said, I firmly believe anyone in this district can beat anyone else on any given night... 

Very good assessment.  The Irish do return two double digit scorers in Sompayrac and Jancek but must replace five productive seniors (4 who where all district players in 4AA at some point in their careers). There are a lot of underclassmen that were not asked to do much last year.  They will need to step up and produce in order for the Irish to be competitive in 4AAA. 

no doubt the Catholic coaching staff will have them ready to compete... The district as a whole lost some talented players, except for Bearden, Hardin Valley, and Lenoir City who has their main core coming back... such as Maryville losing Upchurch, Lowe, Blackman... but have talented young players coming up.... Blount lost a team worth of players, but have some talent ready for their shot...  West lost their best scorers and leaders (one of which was as good as anyone in the league in my opinion), Farragut lost their offense (but many think they will be better overall), Heritage lost the "golden generation"........ however, it seems like  there will be a bunch of new faces that will step up and become household names (or at least district-wide names) this season.  Should be fun and exciting! 

Edited by threeball
corrected misspelled word and grammatical error

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...