4AAA 2017-18

QSouth89

They were both short handed and this was awful early to play a district game but it is what it is. It’ll be growing pains for Catholic this year. The other night Brock Jancek was the one Irish who played in any close meaningful games last year. The other 7 players who dressed all played jv. MacDonald and Harpst did dress on the varsity last season but rarely played. Even when the football guys return only Sompayrac played significant minutes. Fluker is a senior but was injured all year. Jancek and Duncan were on the freshman team. I’m sure Maryville and the other district teams lost some major contributors as well. I am interested to see how well the Irish develop and compete in 4AAA. 

Edited by QSouth89

2 hours ago, Norman Dale said:

As for Maryville guys playing football,  Devon Kimble and Christian Markham came off the bench last year. I think Byron Brown and A.J. Davis should also play varsity minutes this year.  Those are the Maryville players that I know of who could contribute..... there could be more, not sure.

Markham isn’t playing this year. Focusing on baseball 

6 hours ago, rebelwoman87 said:

Maryville wins the Heritage Thanksgiving Tournament beating Halls 68-57 

Wasn’t actually a tournament format.  Maryville played well (especially with just 7 players seeing action) and went 2-0.  Grace Christian also went 2-0 and was really impressive  with nice wins over Heritage and William Blount.  Maryville is shooting incredibly well from 3-point line.  If they are able to bolster their inside game with the footballers returning, they are going to be really tough in the district.

7 hours ago, TNsportsfan12 said:

How is Farragut looking this year with the new coach?

Have not seen them play yet, will see them on Friday. At the moment, they're 3-4 overall and 1-1 in the district, beating West and losing to Lenoir City . Both games were close.  In non-district play, they did beat Alcoa and White County, but lost to Fulton, Powell and Tennessee. 

They play Maryville Tuesday and Bearden Friday, I expect it'll be a rough week for them.