4AAA 2017-18

QSouth89

On 1/27/2018 at 8:18 PM, AllRegion said:

Big sweep for WB over Maryville! Congrats to the Govs :)

Sadly I have not seen a game this year, but I saw where murvil had an incredible record and wb’s was mediocre. What was the story with this game? Govs underrated? Murvil overrated? I know both teams are very well coached.

On 1/26/2018 at 2:48 PM, knoxguy said:

Bearden guards are so good that it makes you over look other players that are really good. Roman is always making a big 3 while seldom missing it seems. (would be nice to know his percentage from behind the arch) Then you add in Drew his ability to protect the rim and disrupt passes allows Ques and Trent the freedom to over play on defense and create havoc. Oh yea forgot to mention Drew is pretty solid on offense also. He is fun to watch and given how much he has improved with his body control as the season has gone on he could be really scary next year. You add Shamarcus and his ability to grab offensive rebounds and finish around rim even after contact you have the makings for another special player. I hear they have a JV kid who cant play varsity till sometime in February who is a very solid player as well. The rest of this year (and the next few JV only lost 2 games freshmen undefeated) could be really exciting.

Bearden’s jv team has lost three times this season all to Catholic. The Irish defeated the Bulldogs twice over at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Tournament at West (in bracket play and the in the championship game) and then last week Catholic won at Bearden. All three games went down to the wire. 

Edited by QSouth89

5 hours ago, QSouth89 said:

Bearden’s jv team has lost three times this season all to Catholic. The Irish defeated the Bulldogs twice over at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Tournament at West (in bracket play and the in the championship game) and then last week Catholic won at Bearden. All three games went down to the wire. 

I expect Akeem had a lot to do with that. When he plays varsity next year, he'll still have Pember to contend with from Bearden. 

24 minutes ago, Chinadog said:

I expect Akeem had a lot to do with that. When he plays varsity next year, he'll still have Pember to contend with from Bearden. 

That is an excellent assessment about Akeem lol. Catholic will loose a lot of players this year to graduation while Bearden returns everyone.  The Dawgs will be even more scary.

Edited by QSouth89

13 hours ago, strongx said:

Sadly I have not seen a game this year, but I saw where murvil had an incredible record and wb’s was mediocre. What was the story with this game? Govs underrated? Murvil overrated? I know both teams are very well coached.

Blount boys are pretty good squad, Strong X.  Have battled through some injuries to key players and are now pretty much 100%.  Good depth on the squad and they play like their "hair is on fire."  They caught Maryville on a night when their shots weren't falling ... some of that can be attributed to WB's defense.  I think Bearden is at the top ... then Maryville, Catholic, Farragut, WB  on any given night are right there.  Should be a good tournament.  WB is the kind of team you don't want to have to play in the tournament if you are 1 or 2.

4 hours ago, GovMan said:

Blount boys are pretty good squad, Strong X.  Have battled through some injuries to key players and are now pretty much 100%.  Good depth on the squad and they play like their "hair is on fire."  They caught Maryville on a night when their shots weren't falling ... some of that can be attributed to WB's defense.  I think Bearden is at the top ... then Maryville, Catholic, Farragut, WB  on any given night are right there.  Should be a good tournament.  WB is the kind of team you don't want to have to play in the tournament if you are 1 or 2.

Sounds good Govman. That coach down in LA is a good one. Maybe they can make more noise come tournament time.

Maryville beat Catholic 57-55 on a tip in at the buzzer. Joe Anderson had a great game as usual for Maryville. Catholic led most of the second half but let it slip away- turning point was two late possessions versus the press with a turnover right under the basket for a Maryville layup and then got a tough offensive foul called on them against press away from the ball after they had inbounded it and then Giles nailed a 3. Good win for Maryville. Three straight losses for Irish.

Edited by Norman Dale

42 minutes ago, Norman Dale said:

Maryville beat Catholic 57-55 on a tip in at the buzzer. Joe Anderson had a great game as usual for Maryville. Catholic led most of the second half but let it slip away- turning point was two late possessions versus the press with a turnover right under the basket for a Maryville layup and then got a tough offensive foul called on them against press away from the ball after they had inbounded it and then Giles nailed a 3. Good win for Maryville. Three straight losses for Irish.

Great game! Shame the crowd was down 

On 1/28/2018 at 8:35 PM, strongx said:

SX, sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I'm glad that GovMan was able to give more details. I moved a few years ago and sadly don't get to catch as many games as I'd like to. I rely on The Daily Times and my Dad's updates for the most part :D 

13 hours ago, Norman Dale said:

Joe Anderson controlled the game! First time I've seen him play and was very impressed. Love his offensive game. Solid from 3 and has a great mid-range game which you don't see often along with great handles and vision. Maryville shot the ball very well and executed the entire game. They really did a good job shutting down Jancek with double and triple teams. Sompayrac played very well but didn't get much help on the offensive end. We certainly didn't handle the press well late. I didn't see the offensive foul on Jancek but I know he was trying to get open with two guys on him. Any Maryville people (or Catholic) see what happened? Good call, bad call, flop?

All three Irish losses have been different. Bearden just flat out dominated the game from the guard position. HVA was a horrible shooting night. We normally shot the 3 ball pretty well and shot less than 10% from 3. Maryville played very solid for the entire game. We didn't seem to have any energy and part of that may be due to illness.

18 hours ago, IrishBBall said:

I don't think Pember matches up very well with Akeem. Maybe with another year to mature physically he may be better.

I can see why considering Akeem is more of a post and Pember is more of a wing, but this past summer my son played in a AAU tournament in Cookeville and I watched the the Bearden AAU team play Akeems team (don't remember the team names). Pember guarded Akeem and shut him down, he also dropped in probably 16-18 points against him. Akeem got very frustrated. Akeem will put on some weight in the next year and expect Pember will too. Probably one of the better big man matchups around next year.