4AAA 2017-18

QSouth89

On 2/1/2018 at 8:19 AM, Chinadog said:

QSouth89,

Speaking of Akeem and Pember, the Bearden guys are going to play with the BMazeElite team for AAU this summer. Here is their lineup:

Akeem Odusipe, Drew Pember, Trent Stephney, Quez Glover, Dante Harris, Joe Anderson, Jaden Springer, Trey Davis, Ben Knight, Luke Bennett, Norance Berry, Drew Williams and Emory Lanier.  

https://twitter.com/BMaze16UA

Should be fun to watch!

Thats the high school version of the Golden State Warriors lol.

Not sure Bearden deserved to win tonight's game vs Maryville. They had a lot of turnovers and fouls. Maryville led by 10 before Bearden woke up and drop three 3-pointers to come back. Maryville smashed their press and Joe played pretty well. I knew when he fouled out with 30 seconds left that it was over for the Rebels though. 

9 hours ago, Chinadog said:

Not sure Bearden deserved to win tonight's game vs Maryville. They had a lot of turnovers and fouls. Maryville led by 10 before Bearden woke up and drop three 3-pointers to come back. Maryville smashed their press and Joe played pretty well. I knew when he fouled out with 30 seconds left that it was over for the Rebels though. 

We missed Devon last night 

9 hours ago, Chinadog said:

I said Maryville stole a game at Catholic last week that they probably should not have won and I feel like Bearden did the same last night. Maryville played very well and handled the pressure defense of Bearden much better than the first time they played. IMO, unsung hero for Bearden team this year is Robinson- deadly spot up shooter and good defender. He would be the best player on several teams in the district and yet he goes pretty much unnoticed on this Bearden team.

Joe Anderson and Jake Giles played very well as usual. Brown and Davis really contributed last night, too. If Davis can tighten up his ballhandling a bit, he will be impossible to keep out of the lane with his quickness. The two technical fouls on Maryville for trash talking were killers last night- really killed their momentum both times and gave Bearden 4 gift points and they won by 3........

Great game.

I have a lot of respect for Bearden, but their game seems off a little bit and it may prove to bite them sooner than later. At least with the better teams they face, anyway. Hard to say, I know, being 28-1 (15-0).  

Every team they play is fired up to play them. If they're one of the better teams, seems like Bearden comes out slow and plays catchup. Most recently with Fulton, then Maryville last night. They have three games left, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland or even Austin-East holds them off. They also play Farragut at home. Neither game means anything from a district or beyond perspective, but if they continue to slow play against the better teams, they'll find themselves out of the running in the regions or beyond.  

8 hours ago, Norman Dale said:

I said Maryville stole a game at Catholic last week that they probably should not have won and I feel like Bearden did the same last night. Maryville played very well and handled the pressure defense of Bearden much better than the first time they played. IMO, unsung hero for Bearden team this year is Robinson- deadly spot up shooter and good defender. He would be the best player on several teams in the district and yet he goes pretty much unnoticed on this Bearden team.

Joe Anderson and Jake Giles played very well as usual. Brown and Davis really contributed last night, too. If Davis can tighten up his ballhandling a bit, he will be impossible to keep out of the lane with his quickness. The two technical fouls on Maryville for trash talking were killers last night- really killed their momentum both times and gave Bearden 4 gift points and they won by 3........

Great game.

II think Roman has stepped up his game recently and has been a key player. You're right, he and others are lost behind the others.  

Maryville played really well against the press this time, beating it easily. During the press and even not during the press, I did notice that there were a lot of shots over Pember this time, he didn't get a hand up or even leave his feet in an attempt to alter their shots. They dropped a few three pointers on him. He was a little out of place, since they played mostly with no posts last night - Shaq and Kordell were in there some though, but when Drew is "playing" post (he's a wing), I think he tends to cheat some and clog the middle leaving guys open from the outside. I sort of expect the 6'8" kid to be blocking everything that comes into the lane, and he does a lot of that, but then I see him let shots go off completely uncontested. Not picking on him, just seemed to be noticeable.  

Edited by Chinadog

2 minutes ago, Chinadog said:

I have a lot of respect for Bearden, but their game seems off a little bit and it may prove to bite them sooner than later. At least with the better teams they face, anyway. Hard to say, I know, being 28-1 (15-0).  

Every team they play is fired up to play them. If they're one of the better teams, seems like Bearden comes out slow and plays catchup. Most recently with Fulton, then Maryville last night. They have three games left, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland or even Austin-East holds them off. They also play Farragut at home. Neither game means anything from a district or beyond perspective, but if they continue to slow play against the better teams, they'll find themselves out of the running in the regions or beyond.  

Agree- actually a loss before tournament may not be all bad to get their attention.

22 hours ago, Chinadog said:

A couple of their key players are under the weather but played anyway.  Def not their best night but even battling flu & strep, they powered through and found a way to win.