4AAA 2017-18

QSouth89

17 minutes ago, IrishBBall said:

Joe Anderson controlled the game! First time I've seen him play and was very impressed. Love his offensive game. Solid from 3 and has a great mid-range game which you don't see often along with great handles and vision. Maryville shot the ball very well and executed the entire game. They really did a good job shutting down Jancek with double and triple teams. Sompayrac played very well but didn't get much help on the offensive end. We certainly didn't handle the press well late. I didn't see the offensive foul on Jancek but I know he was trying to get open with two guys on him. Any Maryville people (or Catholic) see what happened? Good call, bad call, flop?

All three Irish losses have been different. Bearden just flat out dominated the game from the guard position. HVA was a horrible shooting night. We normally shot the 3 ball pretty well and shot less than 10% from 3. Maryville played very solid for the entire game. We didn't seem to have any energy and part of that may be due to illness.

Irish, I was watching the game online and they actually had the camera down at that end where the foul took place but I was watching the ball and didn't see the foul in question. Ref blew the whistle and then I saw Kimble laying on the floor.

I feel like Maryville stole that game last night. Watching it, it seemed like Catholic was ready to pull away the whole fourth quarter and win going away by 8-10 points but Joe just kept hitting big shot after big shot, a couple from ridiculous distance, to keep Maryville within striking distance.

3 hours ago, Chinadog said:

I can see why considering Akeem is more of a post and Pember is more of a wing, but this past summer my son played in a AAU tournament in Cookeville and I watched the the Bearden AAU team play Akeems team (don't remember the team names). Pember guarded Akeem and shut him down, he also dropped in probably 16-18 points against him. Akeem got very frustrated. Akeem will put on some weight in the next year and expect Pember will too. Probably one of the better big man matchups around next year.  

Last year Akeem was a freshman and learning the game.  I saw him play against Catholic last year and a 6'2 post player (who was also senior football player) held him to 4 and 2 points. His athletic skills are off the charts, I thinks he's learning the fundamentals of the game and he's also learning how to play.  Not sure ow long he's been playing basketball but there are so many youth basketball leagues in Knoxville that a lot the kids (like Pember) have been playing since 7 years old. Drew Pember is more polished player and a great shooter but when Akeem's a senior, and his basketball IQ imporoves and he adds muscle, he will be scary.

Edited by QSouth89

5 hours ago, Norman Dale said:

Irish, I was watching the game online and they actually had the camera down at that end where the foul took place but I was watching the ball and didn't see the foul in question. Ref blew the whistle and then I saw Kimble laying on the floor.

I feel like Maryville stole that game last night. Watching it, it seemed like Catholic was ready to pull away the whole fourth quarter and win going away by 8-10 points but Joe just kept hitting big shot after big shot, a couple from ridiculous distance, to keep Maryville within striking distance.

I need to watch the film to see. Tough to keep stats and watch every thing too.

1 hour ago, Chinadog said:

Help me out here, I don't remember how it works. 

The top four district teams play for the district championship, but do those top four automatically get to go to the regionals?

I think I just answered my own question. From the TSSAA site: 

On Saturday, following the completion of the district tournament, there will be four quarterfinal boys’ games with the Winner and Runner-Up teams from both districts hosting the Fourth Place and Third Place teams from the other district. Example:

Site 1: Fourth District 2 @ Winner District 1
Site 2: Third District 2 @ Runner-Up District 1
Site 3: Fourth District 1 @ Winner District 2
Site 4: Third District 1 @ Runner-Up District 2

http://tssaa.org/division-i-basketball-region-tournament-guidelines/

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:54 PM, Norman Dale said:

Maryville beat Catholic 57-55 on a tip in at the buzzer. Joe Anderson had a great game as usual for Maryville. Catholic led most of the second half but let it slip away- turning point was two late possessions versus the press with a turnover right under the basket for a Maryville layup and then got a tough offensive foul called on them against press away from the ball after they had inbounded it and then Giles nailed a 3. Good win for Maryville. Three straight losses for Irish.

Looking at the film I certainly didn't see a charge or push off.  Catholic's press offense certainly didn't help them. 

The regulator season is pretty much winding down now, looks like the top three teams are likely set for post season (Bearden, Maryville, Catholic in that order), but fourth place is interesting and yet to be determined. As of today: 

• William Blount (5-7 in district, 9-13 overall) has LC (W last time they met), HVA (W- last time), West (W - last time) and Heritage (W - last time) to play.  
  • Hardin Valley (6-7 in district, 12-12 overall) has Bearden (L last time they met), WB (L) and Maryville (L) to play. 
  • Farragut (5-8 in district, 12-12 overall) has West (W last time they met), Heritage (L) and Bearden(L) to play. 

My guess is WB will go W,L,W, W to end 8-8 in the district. HVA will go L,W,L and end up 8-8 and Farragut will go W,W,L to end up 7-9. If this plays out then WB and HVA will have the same record in the district and will also have split their meetings. 

Of course my predictions are never right, so we'll have to wait and see!

QSouth89,

Speaking of Akeem and Pember, the Bearden guys are going to play with the BMazeElite team for AAU this summer. Here is their lineup:

Akeem Odusipe, Drew Pember, Trent Stephney, Quez Glover, Dante Harris, Joe Anderson, Jaden Springer, Trey Davis, Ben Knight, Luke Bennett, Norance Berry, Drew Williams and Emory Lanier.  

https://twitter.com/BMaze16UA

Should be fun to watch!

1 hour ago, Chinadog said:

QSouth89,

Speaking of Akeem and Pember, the Bearden guys are going to play with the BMazeElite team for AAU this summer. Here is their lineup:

Akeem Odusipe, Drew Pember, Trent Stephney, Quez Glover, Dante Harris, Joe Anderson, Jaden Springer, Trey Davis, Ben Knight, Luke Bennett, Norance Berry, Drew Williams and Emory Lanier.  

https://twitter.com/BMaze16UA

Should be fun to watch!

I've seen them practicing for the last few weekends. They're going to be loaded on the perimeter.