CAK 2017

Govolsknox

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/22/2017 at 3:04 PM, Govolsknox said:

Interested on any takes on CAK for 2017.

Hard to say at this point, GVK. 

In the 7 on 7's, I would say the defense is probably a little ahead of where it was this time last year.  The returning players seem to have really benefitted from the playing time they got last year, plus this is the 2nd year learning the defensive system, whereas last year it was brand new to the boys.  Some returning starters will be at the same position as last year; some will be playing a different position. Some first-time starters are going to surprise you with their athleticism and physicality.

The offense, based just on the 7 on 7's, shows good potential but needs to become more consistent.  Of course, last year this time the team had a 3-year starter returning at QB for his senior season, whereas this year two WR's who have in the past played some QB are now competing to see who'll start at QB; my expectation is whichever one doesn't start at QB will be one of the go-to WR.  Both QB candidates are progressing well and that will work itself out and both will be ready to play, and we might even see them split time at least early in the season.

I don't expect CAK to abandon the pass, but you might very well see more of a power run component to the offense this year than ever before.  One of the DL (my estimate is 240-250 lbs. and can move) is spending a lot of time at FB so I would expect to see him doing a lot of lead blocking and carrying the ball some too.  I also expect to see a lot of the zone read run game like we saw late last year in the playoffs after the starting qb's injury.

Expect more overall team speed this year as a few track guys who haven't previously played football, or who are returning to football after some time off, will be on the team this year.  I would expect to see some of them contributing, especially on D initially and then maybe on O as the season progresses and they learn the system even more.  There's a good chance there'll be one or two freshmen starting by the time the season begins.

The OL and DL will see some guys having to play both ways, at least some.  There are some big, strong, athletic guys...not quite as big as some linemen CAK has had in the past...and not as MANY big guys as you might like to have, but some good sized athletic guys who have worked hard in the weight room and will be ready.  Senior LT has multiple college offers; RT played great at DE last year and is making the transition to be a key player on the OL (and probably still DL also) this year.  So the OL will have very good, athletic anchors at each T position.  Inside, some younger guys who got some playing time last year and seem ready to take a big step up in terms of physicality.

Thank you Warriors. It sounds like somewhat I was expecting, in that, last year, the offense was basically the Bradley offense with a few wrinkles added in until Smith's injury, given that there was a 2 1/2 year starter at QB. Is it fair to say that this coming year the current coach will be running his own brand of offense as opposed to running primarily the Bradley offense, although with a few wrinkles?

So, what is the remaining 7 on 7 and scrimmage schedule? As I'm sure you recall, my kids are (way) out of high school so I no longer have the direct schedule info that I used to have.

Your thoughts, opinions, and info are greatly appreciated. There are few that love the program any MORE than I do, even though I don't have a player on the team. I've been at the games for a long time and intend to be at the games for a long time in the future.

7 hours ago, Govolsknox said:

Thank you Warriors. It sounds like somewhat I was expecting, in that, last year, the offense was basically the Bradley offense with a few wrinkles added in until Smith's injury, given that there was a 2 1/2 year starter at QB. Is it fair to say that this coming year the current coach will be running his own brand of offense as opposed to running primarily the Bradley offense, although with a few wrinkles?

So, what is the remaining 7 on 7 and scrimmage schedule? As I'm sure you recall, my kids are (way) out of high school so I no longer have the direct schedule info that I used to have.

Your thoughts, opinions, and info are greatly appreciated. There are few that love the program any MORE than I do, even though I don't have a player on the team. I've been at the games for a long time and intend to be at the games for a long time in the future.

They're done with 7 on 7's as far as I know.  The Warriors scrimmage Karns next Friday, then host Morristown West for a scrimmage the following Thursday.  The younger guys who aren't 1's or 2's will play in a JV jamboree either the Friday or Saturday after the Mo-West scrimmage.  Then it's time to prep for the season opener at Christ School of Asheville on Aug. 19, where the QB coach is none other than Heath Shuler.

Regarding the offense, I think you're correct that, beginning last year and even more so this year, I anticipate MUCH more variety in the run game.  The passing game will still bear a strong resemblance to the old offense.  But there will be a lot more run mixed in, and a lot more variety in the types of run plays.  So, yes, you are definitely correct that this year the offense will be more of a full reflection of the new coach's philosophy.

On 7/28/2017 at 5:22 AM, Warriors2011 said:

They're done with 7 on 7's as far as I know.  The Warriors scrimmage Karns next Friday, then host Morristown West for a scrimmage the following Thursday.  The younger guys who aren't 1's or 2's will play in a JV jamboree either the Friday or Saturday after the Mo-West scrimmage.  Then it's time to prep for the season opener at Christ School of Asheville on Aug. 19, where the QB coach is none other than Heath Shuler.

Regarding the offense, I think you're correct that, beginning last year and even more so this year, I anticipate MUCH more variety in the run game.  The passing game will still bear a strong resemblance to the old offense.  But there will be a lot more run mixed in, and a lot more variety in the types of run plays.  So, yes, you are definitely correct that this year the offense will be more of a full reflection of the new coach's philosophy.

Warriors, what time and where is this Friday's CAK scrimmage? I may be back in time to make it. 

2 minutes ago, Govolsknox said:

Warriors, what time and where is this Friday's CAK scrimmage? I may be back in time to make it. 

Coach just sent an announcement that the Karns coach asked to move the scrimmage up a day, to Thursday at 6 pm, due to predicted heavy storms in the area Friday evening.  So it's now been moved to Thursday at 6 at Karns.

1 hour ago, Govolsknox said:

With this being moved  to tonight I was not able to make it. I would be very interested in any candid assessments or observations! 

The Warriors got some good work.  Both offensively and defensively, they're still getting their legs under them.  For people who keep "score" regarding scrimmages, Karns clearly scored several times more than CAK.  But it was fairly obvious early on that the CAK staff was experimenting, giving some guys who've been out of the mix for a while (due to injury or otherwise) a chance to show what they can do, and they showed some great potential.  A few dropped passes, but also some really nice catches too.  Some really good runs by different guys out of the backfield.  Skill 2's were inserted during first series offensively and defensively.

Karns has one player who is blazing fast and he beat us on a couple of deep balls.  Taking those out of the mix, the scrimmage was roughly even.  I expect Karns to have a much improved record compared to how they ended up last year, especially if no. 10 stays healthy. 

As expected for a first scrimmage, there were moments of sloppiness by the Warriors.  But they also put together some sustained drives on offense and, with the exception of giving up a few long plays, the defense played well.  There were a few episodes of lax tackling.  The coaches are still trying to figure out the right mix in the secondary.  My suspicion is we saw only a very small part of the offense this evening.

An even bigger challenge looms next week when the MoWest Trojans visit CAK for a scrimmage.

Only one key player injury this evening I'm aware of so not too bad of a scrimmage injury-wise.

Edited by Warriors2011