BooWhoWiseMan

• 3 months later...

Jay Emmons Resigns after only two seasons at Spring Hill

Posted by Donovan Stewart
Date: December 04, 2017

0  0 0 0 
Jay Emmons Resigns after only two seasons at Spring Hill
Photo Credit To Photo Courtesy of Spring Hill High School used with permission

After back to back Class 4A playoff appearances, Jay Emmons has resigned as head football coach at Spring Hill.

Emmons, 44, led the Raiders to a 13-12 overall record and two 4A playoff appearances losing both years to Marshall County.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for allowing me to lead this team for the past two years. I am proud of what we accomplished, and I look forward to the team’s continued future success,” Emmons said.

The Raiders are coming off a 6-6 campaign that saw them lost to Marshall County in the second round and in 2016, Spring Hill made the Quarterfinals for the first time since making the Class 1A Semifinals back in 1992.

“We appreciate and thank Coach Emmons for all he did for the Spring Hill HS football program,” Spring Hill principal Christine Potts said.

Emmons started his coaching career at now closed Lambuth (1997-2007) and then was the defensive coordinator at Jackson North side and the now closed Jackson Central Merry.

He was the defensive coordinator at Rockford College (IL) for four seasons (2011-14) and then spent one season at Centennial in 2015.

There are 11 schools that are currently looking for a head coach they are: Blackman, Ezell Harding, Grundy County, Humboldt, Lincoln County, Lookout Valley, Milan, Raleigh Egypt, Rossville Christian, Spring Hill and Volunteer

Contact Donovan at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at Examine_Stew

1 hour ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

I have heard rumors the last few weeks.  Couple assistant coaches betrayed him from what I hear.  Sad to see.  Unbelievable.  There is real attitude/character problem.  Looks like I will throw my support to a school that teaches character.  Suggestions??lol

One thing is certain, Spring Hill didn't have a talent problem.

2 hours ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

I have heard rumors the last few weeks.  Couple assistant coaches betrayed him from what I hear.  Sad to see.  Unbelievable.  There is real attitude/character problem.  Looks like I will throw my support to a school that teaches character.  Suggestions??lol

Well looks like you could have used some of those Raptor assistants you bashed earlier this year Boo Hoo...

what does Spring Hill have comin back now that RB gone?

johnny just sayin

6 minutes ago, JohnnyRadcliff said:

Well looks like you could have used some of those Raptor assistants you bashed earlier this year Boo Hoo...

what does Spring Hill have comin back now that RB gone?

johnny just sayin

Not bashing just know the younger coach. Don't even think he is employed at school.

I don't think coaching was the problem.  Kids not wanting to play because it was too cold, parents complaining of playing time and untrustworthy assistants were the problem.  They have a couple lineman coming back one that was kicked off team.  Dantes brother hopefully will be back from injury.  Athletes have always been there.  Parent and admin support has never been there in last 20 years. In my opinion 4 good coaches Mizer, Scharsch, Turchetta, and now Emmons have tried and been ousted by know it all parents and assistant coaches.  Smh

4 minutes ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

Not bashing just know the younger coach. Don't even think he is employed at school.

I don't think coaching was the problem.  Kids not wanting to play because it was too cold, parents complaining of playing time and untrustworthy assistants were the problem.  They have a couple lineman coming back one that was kicked off team.  Dantes brother hopefully will be back from injury.  Athletes have always been there.  Parent and admin support has never been there in last 20 years. In my opinion 4 good coaches Mizer, Scharsch, Turchetta, and now Emmons have tried and been ousted by know it all parents and assistant coaches.  Smh

Raptors staff is all young, cousin says they are all 30 somethings. Maybe that's what the Raiders need? How do the athletes compare to Summit and Indy? Don't they get everyone?

Me thinks you are a Raptors coach looking at possibly applying for the SH job.  Athletes are very similar but not as physical.  We have speed and size.  3 division 1 players in last 3 years.  But there is simply something missing. If the coach is tough on kids then parents get mad.  The kids are never wrong.  It is very political and 2-3 families seem to control everything  in athletics.  

Haha Boo Hoo! Johnny dont see any Raptors coaches leavin, just wondering whats the deal with Spring Hill since johnny didnt know anything bout them until you started smack talkin this year... Johnny is worried some Wilco schools could open up and take some of our promising young staff, but thinks everyone will be back since we return entire offense...

Johnny Just Sayin

1f7f0270-a0f4-4970-8dba-aef8c3ded1ff-1709031d-9309-4c2f-a944-fab9105633e3-v1.png?transparent=1&palette=1

This was just a reflection of a guy taking a job that was not ready to be a head coach.  The kids not wanting to play because it was cold was a direct reflection of him not having any control of the players. 13-12 with the talent on this team is a travesty.   Yeah they made it to the third and second round but that was because of the talent on the field and not his coaching.  They were .500 during the regular season both seasons when they should've been challenging marshall for the region each year. 

The powers that be shouldn't have to look to far to find the replacement since they already made him the interim head coach.  Ben Martin is the right person to take Spring Hill back to where they should be.  He will be great for the kids and the community of Spring Hill. 

• Upvote 1

Purple75gold is spot on. There is a real culture problem with the team and I don't think that was being addressed. Not sure that Coach E was up to the challenge of changing. He will land on his feet elsewhere fairly soon and I wish him the best. I don't buy him being forced out by assistants one bit. I can see them seeing the bigger issues not being addressed and having frustrations with that. I've been around this school off and on for decades and these families that control things from Boo's perspective simply don't exist, or else if they do I somehow have no idea who they are after all these years.

And yes, Ben Martin is the right man for the job. If given the support from the parents and administration he we be very successful.

Edited by W.I.T.
  • Upvote 1