How does Milan sustain success?

Macnarry

How  does Milan continually have such outstanding football talent?  They have a great coach and that is a positive for continually having a good team. Milan is not that large of a town and you would think South Gibson would have watered down the talent in Milan.

I have total respect for their program.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Macnarry said:

How  does Milan continually have such outstanding football talent?  They have a great coach and that is a positive for continually having a good team. Milan is not that large of a town and you would think South Gibson would have watered down the talent in Milan.

coaching and community support....South Gibson opening their school back in 2009  did drain a lot of talent from Milan....the Walden boys for example...but Milan just keeps reloading...Milan plays with what gets off that yellow bus...Alcoa and Maryville recruit from all over east Tennessee.... not bound by school zone lines...not fair but the T$$AA rules allow it....

1 hour ago, cofo said:

coaching and community support....South Gibson opening their school back in 2009  did drain a lot of talent from Milan....the Walden boys for example...but Milan just keeps reloading...Milan plays with what gets off that yellow bus...Alcoa and Maryville recruit from all over east Tennessee.... not bound by school zone lines...not fair but the T$$AA rules allow it....

I'm pretty sure Milan is open zone as is Dyersburg. No different than Alcoa or Maryville. There is just A LOT more students to pick from for them,

Edited by Trojan

10 hours ago, Macnarry said:

Definitely coaching and community support. But you continually ask how Milan has such outstanding talent. A lot of people on these boards talk about certain schools always have a lot of talent. Yes some kids are just born with a lot of god given physical ability. But I believe that talent is developed and that is where coaching comes into play. Kids can be coached over the years to be bigger,faster and stronger. 

I'll give you an example. When I was in middle school in Milan my 8th grade team went 1-6. We were horrible. Most people would say that team didn't have much "talent". But our senior year (1998) we went 13-2 and were state champs. We had become loaded with talent. Same exact kids. One word.... coaching. 

4 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Its going to be really interesting to see how things play out for Milan after Morris retires and Ward takes over. I'm going to get my popcorn ready because its going to better than any motion picture on this board!!!

I like Ward. But no doubt there will be a ton of applicants for that job. Be interesting to see if the administration does their due diligence. Team deserves the best hire. Not just the most familiar one. 

2 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I like Ward. But no doubt there will be a ton of applicants for that job. Be interesting to see if the administration does their due diligence. Team deserves the best hire. Not just the most familiar one. 

You just nailed it brother! Good luck to you guys this year!!