Top 10 Teams 2018

ObserverW

29 minutes ago, tmarshall7 said:

As has become the tradition at Tennessee High, it appears we will start each dual minus 12 or 18 due to forfeits--makes life much more exciting.  Ha!  It is exciting but unusual that we actually more than 11 wrestlers this season but unfortunately instead of covering 14 were going to be 3 deep in certain areas.  We're just hoping we don't have to take 2 buses.

I don't see any harm in throwing out a line up, it will give you guys more to discuss.  

106 - Nault/Willis/Walters

113 - Nelson

120 - 

126 - McCray

132 - Pendley

138 - Fields/Saucier/Kelso

145 - Harter

152 - Ferguson/Bailey

160 - Rosenbaum/Stinchcomb

170 -

182 - Hurley

195 - Jenkins/Fields

220 - Moore

285 - 

Girls:

120 - Ford

140 - Worley

190 - Booher

I watched your football team play last week and noticed a lot of really big guys that could move pretty well on that offensive line.  Tell Coach to send two or three of them to the wrestling room after school and you guys should be able to find a solid heavy weight to fill that slot! 

5 minutes ago, sx1234 said:

I watched your football team play last week and noticed a lot of really big guys that could move pretty well on that offensive line.  Tell Coach to send two or three of them to the wrestling room after school and you guys should be able to find a solid heavy weight to fill that slot! 

One would think with all the evidence showing that wrestling makes better football players it would be an easy sell.  We haven't been able to get that buy in from football yet.  We have 2 football players who wrestle.  

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:52 PM, tmarshall7 said:

One would think with all the evidence showing that wrestling makes better football players it would be an easy sell.  We haven't been able to get that buy in from football yet.  We have 2 football players who wrestle.  

1.  While I fully understand that football is King in Tennessee I will never understand high school coaches that for whatever reason don't understand the value of multi sport athletes.  

2.  As a wrestling coach I would fully support the student/athletes doing strength training for one hour and then going to wrestling practice for one hour after school.  This normally is not a problem because most public schools have an athletic period where the kids can do strength training during normal school hours.  

3.  Very few high school athletic departments are successful unless athletes are shared across several sports programs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cbg said:

1.  While I fully understand that football is King in Tennessee I will never understand high school coaches that for whatever reason don't understand the value of multi sport athletes.  

2.  As a wrestling coach I would fully support the student/athletes doing strength training for one hour and then going to wrestling practice for one hour after school.  This normally is not a problem because most public schools have an athletic period where the kids can do strength training during normal school hours.  

3.  Very few high school athletic departments are successful unless athletes are shared across several sports programs.

Even though we (Maryville) don't deserve to be in this Top 10 conversation, we have recently made more of an effort to partner with our prestigious football program to help build better athletes for both teams.

Our current varsity coaches have recognized that wrestling helps develop better football players (especially lineman) and although we only have a few wrestlers on the varsity football team this year, over 95% of our middle school kids came from our highly successful youth and middle school programs. Getting those kids to come out for wrestling has definitely raised the overall athleticism of our teams and maybe (just maybe) it will translate into the kind of success our football teams have experienced over the last 40+ years.

Edited by JSamson7

17 hours ago, cbg said:

Although they are not really known for their wrestling program, Fulton High School has probably won more total state championships in the last 15 years when combining ALL sports between football, basketball, and track etc. than any other school in Tennessee (no research done- just know they have won multiple in each- so I apologize if I am wrong).  I have heard that Fulton's Athletic director tells his coaches to encourage their athletes to play as many sports as possible, and I personally have heard him say that he wishes every athlete would play 3 sports each- one in the fall, one in the winter, and one in the spring.  I know they have phenomenal athletes and amazing coaches, but I believe this type of mindset from the administration has to have played a large part in their school's athletic success across multiple sports.

2 hours ago, sx1234 said:

Although they are not really known for their wrestling program, Fulton High School has probably won more total state championships in the last 15 years when combining ALL sports between football, basketball, and track etc. than any other school in Tennessee (no research done- just know they have won multiple in each- so I apologize if I am wrong).  I have heard that Fulton's Athletic director tells his coaches to encourage their athletes to play as many sports as possible, and I personally have heard him say that he wishes every athlete would play 3 sports each- one in the fall, one in the winter, and one in the spring.  I know they have phenomenal athletes and amazing coaches, but I believe this type of mindset from the administration has to have played a large part in their school's athletic success across multiple sports.

I agree and believe Fulton has the type of kids to be really good in wrestling soon enough. If ever there was a school though that should have wrestling it is Oak Ridge, seems like they've won a state title in every sport known to man except wrestling! Boys and Girls!! Oak Ridge has everything a new coach could mold into a super tough wrestling school so fast you'd wonder why they hadn't done 10-20 years ago.

2 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

I agree and believe Fulton has the type of kids to be really good in wrestling soon enough. If ever there was a school though that should have wrestling it is Oak Ridge, seems like they've won a state title in every sport known to man except wrestling! Boys and Girls!! Oak Ridge has everything a new coach could mold into a super tough wrestling school so fast you'd wonder why they hadn't done 10-20 years ago.

I agree about Oak Ridge!  With AC and Clinton recently starting programs a few years ago, I can't imagine it will be too much longer before we have wrestling at OR and CC.