Top 10 Teams 2018

ObserverW

1 hour ago, cbg said:

FYI, the phrase "They don't rebuild they reload" was referring to the University of Kentucky basketball program during the 1996-97 season.  You can rest assured that it had absolutely nothing to do with the Bradley Central or any other wrestling program.

I don't think he's was saying the phrase came from Bradley. He's saying that's the mentality and tradition of the Bradley program. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/16/2017 at 10:16 AM, ObserverW said:

Just for fun lets talk about top 10 teams. (in no particular order):

Christian Bros

Baylor

McCallie

Beech

Cleveland

Arlington

Wilson Central

Science Hill

Father Ryan

Knoxville Halls

Assuming we are talking dual meet strength, Arlington’s status as a top ten team is tenuous.  It’s not because of talent.  They have really good wrestlers coming back – I think 3-6 potential state placers -- but they have rarely been able to mat a full squad and they lost 5 starters to graduation from last year’s team.  There’s no one to replace   Moore (184 placer), Roaten (220 placer) and Metcalf (hwt), and they still lack a 106 lber.  That’s a lot to overcome when you face top teams in duals.  This is assuming everyone stays healthy.  What are the chances of that?  In individual tournaments they have 6-7 guys who can deep into tournaments and get big points, but in the dual meet format I just think they have too many holes to fill to compete against teams that can show up with 9-12 solid wrestlers.

**To be clear...when I say they don't any to replace Moore, Metcalf, and Roaten, I don't mean literally.  I mean they don't have someone close to the same caliber who can step right in.  

Edited by Nainten

12 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Seems as though most of you are sleeping on Heritage. Don't be surprised when I come back towards the end of the year and say I told you so. They have 2 potential state champs on that team with some young kids that will surprise a few. 

It will be hard to place top 10 with two place winners.  Heritage will be solid, but I don't see them making it.  Bradley will make it interesting, not sure Devaney is a placer if hes above 113 though.  

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:02 PM, werazzlin said:

Science Hill. Guys, watch Science Hill. 

Can I say it enough. Science Hill

I had them in my top 10.  I think they are close but with a key loss in their lower weights that I just heard was now wrestling at Cleveland, I think they are a few points shy.  

On 8/29/2017 at 7:27 AM, ObserverW said:

I had them in my top 10.  I think they are close but with a key loss in their lower weights that I just heard was now wrestling at Cleveland, I think they are a few points shy.  

Correct. I believe his name is Nathan. Hopefully he transitions well to the wrestling program at Cleveland.

On 8/29/2017 at 7:27 AM, ObserverW said:

Science Hill lost Wysong but they picked up the freshman Braxton Mann, the TNAAU MS state champ who has to be one of the favorites if not the favorite to win 106 this year..  so he will replace the points they lost with Wysong moving.. 

Edited by durdon

11 hours ago, durdon said:

Science Hill lost Wysong but they picked up the freshman Braxton Mann, the TNAAU MS state champ who has to be one of the favorites if not the favorite to win 106 this year..  so he will replace the points they lost with Wysong moving.. 

Hahahha!!! Durdon, please send us some of what youre smoking. Rarely does AAU MS state champ equate to immediate high school favorite.  He wrestled 110 in middle school, has he grown at all? Can he even get to 106?

Not a crazy statement. Kid is legit. He has spent a few years in Derek's room taking his whippings from Cooper Flynn which has made him really solid. He is already getting the best of Seeley (5th place medalist) right now. Can't wait to see how good those two make each other!... and yes, he will be able to make 108. 

Also, the kid who will fill Wysong's spot in the lineup is another TNAAU MS champ from a couple years ago that had to wait to get his spot in the lineup. Joseph Frye took his whippings last year as a freshman, but has been traveling all over the country preparing for this season and will be a very competitive sophomore. 

Cool!  I don't know the Frye kid but sounds like this might be a situation like Bradley had four years ago when TJ Hicks was stuck behind Navarro his freshman season.  Great to hear, he will be fun to watch this season.  

On the other hand, I watched Mann last year on the AAU circuit.  He will have better opportunity at 108, but still, I don't envision him on the medal stand.  KingGreen, I'm not sure what it says about Seeley that Mann is already "getting the best of" him.  Do you think Seeley can repeat on the medal stand up a weight?