Top 10 Teams 2018

ObserverW

3 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

Cool!  I don't know the Frye kid but sounds like this might be a situation like Bradley had four years ago when TJ Hicks was stuck behind Navarro his freshman season.  Great to hear, he will be fun to watch this season.  

On the other hand, I watched Mann last year on the AAU circuit.  He will have better opportunity at 108, but still, I don't envision him on the medal stand.  KingGreen, I'm not sure what it says about Seeley that Mann is already "getting the best of" him.  Do you think Seeley can repeat on the medal stand up a weight?  

Most years the 106 big school champion including last year has been previous years TNAAU state champion usually the 100p chsmpion..  TJ was the exception to that for 2 years.   Braxton has a ton of national experience, and had done well nationally.  He placed 3rd at TOC.  He is a kid that has never cut at all either.  He will be one of the favorites at 106 this year..  I was talking to several coaches not from East TN yesterday at the Super32 qualifier in Ga and we were talking about different weights this year and they all said that Braxton will make the finals at 6 this year.  6 is pretty wide open this year, and there not a lot of returning guys at that weight.   Who do u think will be on the medal stand if not Braxton.  

Just now, durdon said:

Most years the 106 big school champion including last year has been previous years TNAAU state champion usually the 100p chsmpion..  TJ was the exception to that for 2 years.   Braxton has a ton of national experience, and had done well nationally.  He placed 3rd at TOC.  He is a kid that has never cut at all either.  He will be one of the favorites at 106 this year..  I was talking to several coaches not from East TN yesterday at the Super32 qualifier in Ga and we were talking about different weights this year and they all said that Braxton will make the finals at 6 this year.  6 is pretty wide open this year, and there not a lot of returning guys at that weight.   Who do u think will be on the medal stand if not Braxton.  

Ok I guess it is settled then, especially since people at the GA S32 qualifier said so.  I'll go with you, Mann to the 106 finals.  

20 minutes ago, durdon said:

While not scientific, I've done a small study.  There were 17 middle school state champs who graduated to HS last season.  Of those 17, three placed.  Noah Horst was probably the most heralded MS wrestlers to come out of the TN system up to that point.  Garrett Bowers was pretty close.   Mann didn't even win his Region last year and he was a DNP at one of the Top 100--not sure that's in the same league with Horst or Bowers.   I would say that if he has a shot at a medal then its only at 106 and as I mentioned before, because the people at the Georgia S32 qualifier said so. 

Mann will have to go through some of the following wrestlers who might end up back at 106.  

Te'Nario Thomas, East Hamilton who was about 4 seconds from beating Horst

Chandler Davis, Walker Valley

Christian Isbell, Clarksville who only lost to the other finalist

Gabe OCallahan, Barlett 

Cal Rogers, Tullahoma

Tyler McKeefery, Farragut who was in the finals of the GA S32 qualifier yesterday.

I'm still a little unclear on Wysong's eligibility at Cleveland but after what I've heard surrounding the transfer, I don't think he will be eligible this season.  Given that, and at the risk of sounding like a homer, I think Science Hill is the clear front runner for a state title.  With Nate, I think Cleveland makes it a battle.  Otherwise The Hill has too many returning weapons along with adding a few freshman and sophomores that have been mentioned before.  

We have 8 potential medalist, probably at least 4 finalist and maybe 5 if we have a great tournament.  

• Mann
  • Seeley*
  • Story*
  • James*
  • Diehl*
  • Kalogeros
  • Brown
  • Medina

In addition, we have a few just sitting outside a medal and will score real points.  This is the year that we bring a gold trophy back to East Tennessee!

Edited by topperpride11

And Tre McDaniels from Cleveland will be another tough one at 106. Braxton, Tre, and Isbell were all at Cleveland wrestling last weekend so I'm sure they got some live goes in. 

Me saying that Braxton is already getting the best of Tyler is explaining how good Braxton is. Tyler has proven himself at the high school level and Braxton has come in as a rising freshman with no high school experience and is already as good as, if not better than Tyler. 

And yes, of course I believe Seeley can medal at a weight up. He has been lifting hard all summer and has filled into the weight. Tyler has never had a good workout partner through his career so it's actually crazy that he was able to accomplish what he has so far. With Braxton in the room, his skills will grow at a much quicker rate. I'm very excited for Tyler that he now has a great workout partner on a daily basis. 

4 minutes ago, topperpride11 said:

I'm still a little unclear on Wysong's eligibility at Cleveland but after what I've heard surrounding the transfer, I don't think he will be eligible this season.  Given that, and at the risk of sounding like a homer, I think Science Hill is the clear front runner for a state title.  With Nate, I think Cleveland makes it a battle.  Otherwise The Hill has too many returning weapons along with adding a few freshman and sophomores that have been mentioned before.  

We have 8 potential medalist, probably at least 4 finalist and maybe 5 if we have a great tournament.  

• Mann
  • Seeley*
  • Story*
  • James*
  • Diehl*
  • Kalogeros
  • Brown
  • Medina

In addition, we have a few just sitting outside a medal and will score real points.  This is the year that we bring a gold trophy back to East Tennessee!

I believe this is a little overzealous. "Clear front runner" is definitely an overstatement. I'd like to think we are, for the first time ever, legitimately in the running for the dual title and I believe it is possible. That is most definitely what we are aiming for and what we will strive for every day. The individual race will fall how it falls. However, there are a lot of other great teams that are working for the same goal. Teams that have proven themselves more than we have.  There is a lot of wrestling to be done. A lot of lineups that have to be shaken out. A lot of new kids who will make names for themselves. A lot of teams who will have kids step up and score unexpected points for their teams. 

It's going to be a very fun season. I hope everyone stays healthy and we can create some exciting battles with the best teams in the state this year. 

2 minutes ago, KingGreene said:

I believe this is a little overzealous. "Clear front runner" is definitely an overstatement. I'd like to think we are, for the first time ever, legitimately in the running for the dual title and I believe it is possible. That is most definitely what we are aiming for and what we will strive for every day. The individual race will fall how it falls. However, there are a lot of other great teams that are working for the same goal. Teams that have proven themselves more than we have.  There is a lot of wrestling to be done. A lot of lineups that have to be shaken out. A lot of new kids who will make names for themselves. A lot of teams who will have kids step up and score unexpected points for their teams. 

It's going to be a very fun season. I hope everyone stays healthy and we can create some exciting battles with the best teams in the state this year. 

Sorry coach, I might get a little excited and maybe I'm biased but the hard work that the coaching staff and all these kids working year round is paying off.  I wasn't even thinking about the dual title, but I would agree with you, we are in the hunt for sure!  I know you have to be humble and I appreciate that but with this lineup, finally, the schools in Bradley County are chasing us.  If we medal 8 kids and put half in the finals, no one is catching us.  

I agree, it will be very fun and I hope we fill the bleachers for every match this season.  

1 hour ago, ObserverW said:

While not scientific, I've done a small study.  There were 17 middle school state champs who graduated to HS last season.  Of those 17, three placed.  Noah Horst was probably the most heralded MS wrestlers to come out of the TN system up to that point.  Garrett Bowers was pretty close.   Mann didn't even win his Region last year and he was a DNP at one of the Top 100--not sure that's in the same league with Horst or Bowers.   I would say that if he has a shot at a medal then its only at 106 and as I mentioned before, because the people at the Georgia S32 qualifier said so. 

Mann will have to go through some of the following wrestlers who might end up back at 106.  

Te'Nario Thomas, East Hamilton who was about 4 seconds from beating Horst

Chandler Davis, Walker Valley

Christian Isbell, Clarksville who only lost to the other finalist

Gabe OCallahan, Barlett 

Cal Rogers, Tullahoma

Tyler McKeefery, Farragut who was in the finals of the GA S32 qualifier yesterday.

Isabell is not going to be six this year.  He has gotten really big.   Ive heard neither will Chandler or Cal.  They have all grown to big.  I'm not sure how big Te'Nario is right now and he will be in the mix st 6 if he goes that weight.  I had forgotten about Gabe but he will be in the mix too.  After seeing Mcfeefery yesterday running through that 40 man bracket at the 32 qualifier and only losing in the finals to a Fargo AA I would say he would be the favorite this year.  Even if  Te'nario is 6 I still put Mckefery at the 1 spot. Trae Bates will MOST definitely be in the mix also.  Bradford from Cleveland made the conso semi's at the 32 qualifier yesterday at 6 so I'm not sure it's settled who will be Cleveland's  6 this year.  

If Devaney decides to get down to 6 then he will be the toughest kid at that weight  but right now word is that he is saying he is not going to.  But he can make the weight so I would expect him to be there in Feb.  The top 100  Mann didn't place if you will notice he  FF out cause he got really sick and ended up going to the emergency room.  

The 17 TNAAAU state champs it is extremely difficult for any freshman to place at any weight in big school outside of 6 and 13.  But at 106 there is usually a finalist that comes out of Middle School most years. This year it could be Bates, Mann or whoever ends up being Cleveland's 6 this year and that's not a stretch predicting that. 

There's been a lot of good discussions about 106. How are some of the other weight classes looking, and who are we thinking those favorites are? I know it might be early, but I'm curious where it is looking like kids are going to end up at. I'm sure a lot of kids have grown over the summer. 

On the opposite side of the spectrum, Javier Salvador at 220 and Kramer at HWT are safe bets. Wherever Kyle Smith is (170 or 182) he should be the favorite.

Beech has multiple other favorites: Palmer and Hoarst to repeat at 113 and 120.

Rippy is most likely a favorite at 160 if that is where he is, but Chase Diehl will be the only returning medalist from 160 and I would imagine those two would have a heck of a battle if they meet up! Landon Fowler could also end up at 160 making 160 a very interesting weight. 

If Jack Hicks is at 195, he should be a favorite there. I would like to see Hicks and Smith wrestle. They could possibly both be at 182