CPA-Ensworth Battle For Bellevue

Mothman26

CPA will fight hard but they are outmatched in this one.  Size- advantage Ensworth, Speed-advantage Ensworth, Tradition- I'll call it a draw although EHS has way more championships, Coaching staff- advantage Ensworth but Coach Martin is definitely deserving of respect.  CPA has a few big name guys but the sum of all the parts for Ensworth puts them up big time.  I'd say Ensworth wins this one 9 out of 10 times.  Who knows maybe this is the 1 that CPA pulls off the upset.  Good luck to both.  

Kreager at The Tennessean says 42-14 Ensworth...

Obviously Ensworth should be favored, but I think it's closer to a 7-10 point advantage. It's way too early to say but I've been predicting for around 5 years that CPA would be a very good team in 2017 & 2018 and I think this game will give an indication if that is close to being true and that doesn't necessarily mean they have to win.  Ensworth is a very good team this year.  Second in the state depending on what site you view with CPA maybe breaking the top 25 for now.

Ensworth should win, but I think the game could go either way.  I'm a CPA homer though, but normally a logical one ;)

Injury free, good game both ways, and atmosphere like 2015 is my hope.

I think Spotlight is on point with his assessment of this game.

Looking back on the 2015 game at Ensworth, CPA had a decent chance to win that game. That Lions team, which I think was just as good if not slightly better than what the 2017 team on paper will be, attacked Ensworth, which probably had its relatively weakest defensive team to date, head-on and downfield in the first half and went up 14-0. In the second half, CPA tried to shorten the game, mainly by running QB Weatherly sideline-to-sideline in the second half, which Ensworth snuffed out fairly easily with its speed on the ends. And thus, a 14-0 CPA lead turned into a 24-14 Ensworth lead late in the game. In catch-up mode, CPA had shots downfield late in the game (I remember a CPA WR dropping a perfect pass down the middle late that could have been a long catch-and-run for a TD that would have at least given them a chance at an onside kick opportunity to make the outcome interesting) that I think they would have had throughout the second half as well. That's the thing with Ensworth, and any well-coached team for that matter - if you get the rare chance to get up a couple of scores on them early, you have to keep the foot on the gas, or Ricky will adjust and make you pay.  Two other games in particular stand out on that front - BA at Ensworth in the 2010 playoffs, and MUS versus Ensworth in the 2013 title game. BA and MUS were in full control for both of those games but didn't put the Tigers away, and Ensworth turned what look like inevitable defeats mid-third quarter into fourth quarter victories. 

2017 Ensworth is markedly better than 2015 Ensworth; unless 2017 CPA is markedly better than 2015 CPA, I see a 3-TD Ensworth win here. I think CPA will represent just fine, but it's going to be hard to match Ensworth score-for-score.   

Edited by rollredroll
  • Upvote 1