CPA-Ensworth Battle For Bellevue

Mothman26

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:41 PM, rollredroll said:

I think Spotlight is on point with his assessment of this game.

Looking back on the 2015 game at Ensworth, CPA had a decent chance to win that game. That Lions team, which I think was just as good if not slightly better than what the 2017 team on paper will be, attacked Ensworth, which probably had its relatively weakest defensive team to date, head-on and downfield in the first half and went up 14-0. In the second half, CPA tried to shorten the game, mainly by running QB Weatherly sideline-to-sideline in the second half, which Ensworth snuffed out fairly easily with its speed on the ends. And thus, a 14-0 CPA lead turned into a 24-14 Ensworth lead late in the game. In catch-up mode, CPA had shots downfield late in the game (I remember a CPA WR dropping a perfect pass down the middle late that could have been a long catch-and-run for a TD that would have at least given them a chance at an onside kick opportunity to make the outcome interesting) that I think they would have had throughout the second half as well. That's the thing with Ensworth, and any well-coached team for that matter - if you get the rare chance to get up a couple of scores on them early, you have to keep the foot on the gas, or Ricky will adjust and make you pay.  Two other games in particular stand out on that front - BA at Ensworth in the 2010 playoffs, and MUS versus Ensworth in the 2013 title game. BA and MUS were in full control for both of those games but didn't put the Tigers away, and Ensworth turned what look like inevitable defeats mid-third quarter into fourth quarter victories. 

2017 Ensworth is markedly better than 2015 Ensworth; unless 2017 CPA is markedly better than 2015 CPA, I see a 3-TD Ensworth win here. I think CPA will represent just fine, but it's going to be hard to match Ensworth score-for-score.   

Nice analysis, but history and analysis don't win games. Never count a Martin coached and motivated team out.

1 hour ago, sportsnerd said:

Nice analysis, but history and analysis don't win games. Never count a Martin coached and motivated team out.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Maybe Ingle used the past partly as a learning tool and motivation to turn the tables on his old ball coach in the present.

I made a prediction - and one similar to many people who posted and many others who didn't stick their neck out - and was wrong. I own it. I was wrong before and will be wrong again.

If I had a dog in last night's hunt, it was at best a mixed-breed. I am an alumnus of the two coaches alma' mater, a parent of an alumnus of one of the schools, and a parent of a current student at the other school. If anything, I am happy for the child who has had to endure two years of being on the wrong end of this game the past two years. I shared a funny little .gif file that hope is used in inflicting reciprocal grief on the other child. To use a less intellectual quote, "what goes around comes around".

Happy for CPA (and they are better than the 2015 team). 

Edited by rollredroll
content

6 minutes ago, rollredroll said:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Maybe Ingle used the past partly as a learning tool and motivation to turn the tables on his old ball coach in the present.

I made a prediction - and one similar to many people who posted and many others who didn't stick their neck out - and was wrong. I own it. I was wrong before and will be wrong again.

If I had a dog in last night's hunt, it was at best a mixed-breed. I am an alumnus of the two coaches alma' mater, a parent of an alumnus of one of the schools, and a parent of a current student at the other school. If anything, I am happy for the child who has had to endure two years of being on the wrong end of this game the past two years. I shared a funny little .gif file that hope is used in inflicting reciprocal grief on the other child. To use a less intellectual quote, "what goes around comes around".

Happy for CPA (and they are better than the 2015 team). 

Well said. It's easy not to make a public prediction!  I truly thought it would be close game and CPA had a good shot at the upset, but then I remembered the NCS fans scouting report on us... :D

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bcd said:

Well said. It's easy not to make a public prediction!  I truly thought it would be close game and CPA had a good shot at the upset, but then I remembered the NCS fans scouting report on us... :D

I can tell you that players from the team 2 years ago could care less about losing the game and moved past it the next week - sounds like RedRoll has some past issues

Edited by jett

10 minutes ago, jett said:

I can tell you that players from the team 2 years ago could care less about losing the game and moved past it the next week - sounds like RedRoll has some past issues

I have plenty of issues, and none of them have to do with the outcome of high school football games, past or present. Show me where I said anything about how CPA players from two years ago felt about the 2015 loss and how they did or did not move on from it.

Again, I have a child that went to CPA. To infer I have anything against CPA is asinine. I love that school and the people associated with it, on and off the field.

This thread is quickly serving as a reminder of why I have largely stayed off posting on the message boards, with the unfounded attacks that people inflict on others. Maybe I should practice what I preach and remember the past when it comes to expressing opinions on these message boards, because it certainly looks I am condemned to repeat it.

7 minutes ago, rollredroll said:

I have plenty of issues, and none of them have to do with the outcome of high school football games, past or present. Show me where I said anything about how CPA players from two years ago felt about the 2015 loss and how they did or did not move on from it.

Again, I have a child that went to CPA. To infer I have anything against CPA is asinine. I love that school and the people associated with it, on and off the field.

This thread is quickly serving as a reminder of why I have largely stayed off posting on the message boards, with the unfounded attacks that people inflict on others. Maybe I should practice what I preach and remember the past when it comes to expressing opinions on these message boards, because it certainly looks I am condemned to repeat it.

Yeah, I'm not sure what is going on, but I enjoyed reading your post and thought it had merit even if it was a prediction against CPA.  I think it must be a missundering and don't let it prevent you from taking part of this community.  We all love to talk and read about HS football or we wouldn't be on here. Differing opinions are not a bad thing...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rollredroll said:

Don't act so hurt, or be so thin-skinned. If you are going to make predictions, expect to be congratulated when you are right and criticized when you are wrong. That is the nature of the beast. If you had been right, you would have been glad to get the praise of those who recognized your wisdom, so take the criticism, otherwise; don't predict. I don't mind anyone posting anything on the boards, that is your prerogative, as is mine. It is not an attack to be called out for a bad prediction. Keep posting.

1 hour ago, sportsnerd said:

Don't act so hurt, or be so thin-skinned. If you are going to make predictions, expect to be congratulated when you are right and criticized when you are wrong. That is the nature of the beast. If you had been right, you would have been glad to get the praise of those who recognized your wisdom, so take the criticism, otherwise; don't predict. I don't mind anyone posting anything on the boards, that is your prerogative, as is mine. It is not an attack to be called out for a bad prediction. Keep posting.

I'm going to address this is as diplomatically as I can:

"Hurt"...As I've said multiple times now, I had no one-sided tie to this game. A victory by one team is a feather in one's cap for one of my children and not for the other, and yet both, to their credit, of their lives today are no better nor worse today than they were 24 hours ago before the outcome. Same goes for me.

"Thin-skinned"...Of all the people who made predictions of this game - and if we're going to be technical, I never even predicted the outcome; I just acknowledged someone else's assessment of the game on paper and piggy-backed it with caveats ("if this", "if that") - you quoted my post. If I don't respond, someone will inevitably call me out for tucking tail and hiding. It's a no-win situation. So, I responded. And from that response, the main takeaway is I said "I was wrong". I'm not going to reread all the posts in this thread, but I don't recall many people acknowledging their incorrect prediction after the fact, nor anyone individually being called out for it (heck, Spotlight himself, whose post I piggy-backed, was at least given credit for his opinion that CPA could win this game 1 out of 10 times). So, as to the thickness of my skin, whatever thickness that is - taking accountability when singled out, asking jett about where I showed "past issues" (to which he has not responded and will not be able to, because nowhere in my post did I show any, even acknowledged by a third party (bcd) himself), etc. - I'm comfortable in it. If you want to call out someone for the thickness of one's skin, that's fine, but it certainly begs the question of the thickness of your own when you single out a particular person when there are multiple targets that could be called out for the same predictions/pre-game analysis.

"Get the praise" - I don't predict (chime in) for praise or ridicule. I'm an analyst at heart and like the study of the game. I don't think you'll ever find a post of mine where I have taken credit for predicting/chiming in correctly on the eventual outcome of the game.

I don't mean to sound snarky, but I'll post when I want to post, defend my position when questioned, and call people out (in this case, jett) when they throw unsubstantiated accusations at me. Still, the tenor of the these boards has "jettisoned" (ironic word, huh) many of us old-timers off them from a posting perspective. This thread is not very encouraging, to me at least, that things are much different.

• Upvote 2