Science Hill vs DB

WBNC83

13 minutes ago, WBNC83 said:

I wouldn't call the defense for either team terrible. Both defenses certainly have some things they need to work on but they're not terrible. 

SH's defense held Elizabethton to just 3 pts in the 1st half last week and just 13 pts to Ooltewah in the 1st half last night. The problem with the Topper defense is they seem to go into complacency mode as soon as they get a 14+ pt lead. The defense got complacent in the 2nd half of both games and let their opponents back in it. They dominated Elizabethton and Ooltewah on both sides of the ball. 

DB could've won the game vs Greeneville if they hadn't shot themselves in the foot time and again. And they whooped OR. DB wins by 3 scores last night if not for the dumb penalties. 

SH and DB look pretty evenly matched to me. Both teams have explosive offenses. Defense with both aren't great but I wouldn't say they're bad either. 

This is my opinion but I think this game will tell if coach Carter is just a really good coach or a great coach.Both these senior classes came into high school pretty equal.DB did beat them twice as 9th graders {lot of credit to that one awesome assistant coach} and have added some stud juniors { two biggest OL and complete backfield.}That means for SH to win, it would say a lot about what kind of program SH has and the job coach Carter has done.DB radio guys might want to think a second before they talk next week.Let the refs go because as they seen,it all evened out at the end of both halfs of the game.Don't think they meant to criticize the coaching either but they were right about the I-formation at the goal line and kicking it to one of the better athletes in the state for gosh safes.Stupid stuff like that and mistakes have almost cost DB two games instead of one and anyone could see DB had enough talent to win either game with complete ease.Don't have to beat a dead horse but it's in my nature,DB has enough talent within it's walls to compete for a state title and enough on the field to beat SH next week.That's exactly what has changed SH from a basketball,track and baseball school,to also having a fine football team.They have got more athletes interested in football and we will see if it's either a { really good or great coach}.I remember a few years ago ,myself and BVD sat behind coach Carters family at a South playoff game and even though I don't know coach Carter as BVD might by doing some filming for their 2009 team,I knew then that  he must be a great guy just by the family that he had there for him and his team.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, BatmanDevil said:

This is my opinion but I think this game will tell if coach Carter is just a really good coach or a great coach.Both these senior classes came into high school pretty equal.DB did beat them twice as 9th graders {lot of credit to that one awesome assistant coach} and have added some stud juniors { two biggest OL and complete backfield.}That means for SH to win, it would say a lot about what kind of program SH has and the job coach Carter has done.DB radio guys might want to think a second before they talk next week.Let the refs go because as they seen,it all evened out at the end of both halfs of the game.Don't think they meant to criticize the coaching either but they were right about the I-formation at the goal line and kicking it to one of the better athletes in the state for gosh safes.Stupid stuff like that and mistakes have almost cost DB two games instead of one and anyone could see DB had enough talent to win either game with complete ease.Don't have to beat a dead horse but it's in my nature,DB has enough talent within it's walls to compete for a state title and enough on the field to beat SH next week.That's exactly what has changed SH from a basketball,track and baseball school,to also having a fine football team.They have got more athletes interested in football and we will see if it's either a { really good or great coach}.I remember a few years ago ,myself and BVD sat behind coach Carters family at a South playoff game and even though I don't know coach Carter as BVD might by doing some filming for their 2009 team,I knew then that  he must be a great guy just by the family that he had there for him and his team.

Too many people were already writing DB off after the Greeneville game. I'm not taking anything away from Greeneville (they could easily win it all this year) but DB had that game. They gave it away. 

Coach Carter has an extremely talented team this year. The OL might be the best I've ever seen at The Hill. I thought Ooltewah's DL would give us trouble last night but our OL man-handled them. And from what I've been told, SH just might have the biggest OL in the state (height/weight wise). On top of that, Jaylan Adams is imo the best QB in NE TN. The kid is just playing at a different level this year. Add to that a stable of impressive young RB's and two athletic, tall WR's and you've got an offense that put points on the board. If the defense can play a full game the way they've played the 1st half vs Elizabethton and Ooltewah this team will be scary good. The secondary, which to start the season was a HUGE question mark, seems to be finding their groove. 

This SH team seems to be playing with a lot of confidence. And that's fine. But I hope they take it one game at a time. DB will be the biggest test they've had so far. 

As for Coach Carter, a lot of DB fans like to rag on him but the man has proven his worth at SH and we wouldn't trade him for any other coach. He's got this program heading in the right direction.

Edited by WBNC83

Anyone around South knew that if Carter got athletes and speed to run his offense he would be tough...

The DB guys like to rag on Carter when he was at South and had better teams on paper and only came close in Phillips sophomore year I believe. But by year 3 and Reed Hayes, Coach Carter pretty much closed the door on the talent/coaching gap.

Now the DB fans can only wish ... and remember the good ole days.

1 hour ago, TicketToRide said:

Anyone around South knew that if Carter got athletes and speed to run his offense he would be tough...

The DB guys like to rag on Carter when he was at South and had better teams on paper and only came close in Phillips sophomore year I believe. But by year 3 and Reed Hayes, Coach Carter pretty much closed the door on the talent/coaching gap.

Now the DB fans can only wish ... and remember the good ole days.

I remember them,got some grass from the old SH field after the last game was played there .Coach Carter done a few things I said DB needed to years ago.I know one of my kids told me what they were doing with their strength program at SH and why it was going to be a back breaker for DB.Hey,maybe DB has some great things happen and some good luck this week for a huge win

I haven't seen SH but if DB runs their big ole running backs over and over the d line of SH they will be worn out just like my Wildcats. That was our down fall couldn't stop them late in the game, just plain pooped!!

Still a good game and enjoyed seeing our friends at DB . And looking forward for your visit to "The Ship" next year. 

WILDCAT PRIDE

3 hours ago, bounder said:

I haven't seen SH but if DB runs their big ole running backs over and over the d line of SH they will be worn out just like my Wildcats. That was our down fall couldn't stop them late in the game, just plain pooped!!

Still a good game and enjoyed seeing our friends at DB . And looking forward for your visit to "The Ship" next year. 

WILDCAT PRIDE

SH can match DB's running attack. OR couldn't. SH rotates 3-4 RB's all game. And the group that they've got is the best I've seen at The Hill in at least a decade if not longer. Ask Elizabethton and Ooltewah about our RB's. We ran it down both of their throats. Add to that our QB, who is a threat to take off with the ball at any time and in two games already has over 200 yrds rushing and 5 tds. 

Our DL has already played against two good RB's (Corey Russell from Elizabethton and Sincere Quinn from Ooltewah) and did just fine. 

This will be a close game though. Right now I'm going with The Hill by 10 but I reserve the right to change my mind later in the week if I feel like doing so.

Edited by WBNC83

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:06 AM, madhatter2269 said:

they won't beat Alcoa.

According to this Alcoa has 646 students.
http://tssaa.org/2016-17-high-school-enrollments/

According to this DB's band has 350 students
https://www.dbband.org/#about-us

Football points are not awarded according to student enrollment, we all get that, but there is no way DB (2208 students) is going to lose to Alcoa.

3 hours ago, blazer1set said:

According to this Alcoa has 646 students.
http://tssaa.org/2016-17-high-school-enrollments/

According to this DB's band has 350 students
https://www.dbband.org/#about-us

Football points are not awarded according to student enrollment, we all get that, but there is no way DB (2208 students) is going to lose to Alcoa.

good for them. they'll still lose.