Alcoa travels to Indian Country

BCsportsfan

2 hours ago, johndeere said:

Honestly, Clark has the entire backfield and several linemen coming back.  I would expect him to stay one more year, and see that group through, and then step down.  But who knows.  I know Witten threw a tantrum during the scrimmage this year at DB, and it culminated in he and GClark having words.  That didn't help his chances for the future.  One of the Sevier County posters made reference a few months ago to missing the boat when they did not hire SWitten.  Evidently , he was an option there.  Must be open to leaving the Cyclone city.   Also, Wittens Junior group is his best, so that may be a good time for him to exit.  The Greenville, Eliz, SH, and DB junior classes have battled since the fourth grade.  Big drop off after that I would expect....

Think about this.Look at Tennessee and Butch Jones .If he " steps down" this year.What kind of idiot would let him pick the next UT coach or AD for that matter.That's pretty much the deal at DB and the lack of balls that Kingsport has when it comes to the football program.There is zero reason that Dobyns Bennett shouldn't have just as good a football program as they do a band program.

23 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

My opinion.  No way does the "Good ole Boy" network bring in a outsider, S. Witten or any other. If Clark ever calls it a day.......we've been talking about this for ten years. "If" Clark ever does retire and they bring on Sensabaugh, most likely everyone on the staff stays. And that would be to the liking of the "Good ole Boys".  The coaching on the offensive side is not bad. The coaching on the defensive side is as bad as it gets. "My opinion" is Clark will probably cast the deciding vote on who his successor is. Sensabaugh can not be successful keeping the current staff on defense, but just like anyone else he would except that situation to become head coach at DB. 

So there........I told you.

As I expected.  Another thing to realize is unless you see some sort of hook up like Carter was able to do at Science Hill (bring in a few of his pick coaches) into the DB staff, yup it is a Good ol Boy network.

I'll stick with this thought:  DB and Kingsport city schools want the gate sales and money that football brings in, and until that money stops flowing in, you won't see any big changes.  Sports are not important like they used to be 10 years ago in KCS, test scores are.

18 hours ago, johndeere said:

Honestly, Clark has the entire backfield and several linemen coming back.  I would expect him to stay one more year, and see that group through, and then step down.  But who knows.  I know Witten threw a tantrum during the scrimmage this year at DB, and it culminated in he and GClark having words.  That didn't help his chances for the future.  One of the Sevier County posters made reference a few months ago to missing the boat when they did not hire SWitten.  Evidently , he was an option there.  Must be open to leaving the Cyclone city.   Also, Wittens Junior group is his best, so that may be a good time for him to exit.  The Greenville, Eliz, SH, and DB junior classes have battled since the fourth grade.  Big drop off after that I would expect....

SH and DB are stuck in the 6A Maryville, Oakland, etc. land.  Until there is just some sort of breakthrough in the 3-12 grade programs in either city that everyone is behind, the best they can hope for is a 9-1, 10-0 regular season and then they are thrown to the wolves.

Greeneville is in a good place the next two years, and saying their talent drops off is something for me that is hard to believe.  Some with Betsy.  I will say that Elizabethton's move to 4A was a $$$ decision, but honestly the best shot they will ever have at a state championship was this year and next year if they had stayed in 3A.  I can see in two years Greeneville and Betsy fighting for the top stop.  South may be rebounding, but they will be off to greener pastures when they are either a 1700 student HS 6A or, if by some miracle they only have 1400 students at the new high school, a 5A school with some of the best athletes in Sullivan County. Central is split up, East gets some students from Central that, hey maybe they can help a little bit, who knows, but East will still be just trying to survive with Greeneville and Betsy in the conference.

Grainger unloads after this year, Union is Union... I mean 4A Region 1 is almost like the DB SH region 1.  Two top teams, who cares about the rest.

5A Region 1 has the same problem 4A region 1 had last year, eventually you run into Knox Central, Fulton, and Catholic on a long march that ends with you losing year in and year out.

Let's be for real, we only have 10-15 years left of football in the country anyway.

36 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

SH and DB are stuck in the 6A Maryville, Oakland, etc. land.  Until there is just some sort of breakthrough in the 3-12 grade programs in either city that everyone is behind, the best they can hope for is a 9-1, 10-0 regular season and then they are thrown to the wolves.

Greeneville is in a good place the next two years, and saying their talent drops off is something for me that is hard to believe.  Some with Betsy.  I will say that Elizabethton's move to 4A was a $$$ decision, but honestly the best shot they will ever have at a state championship was this year and next year if they had stayed in 3A.  I can see in two years Greeneville and Betsy fighting for the top stop.  South may be rebounding, but they will be off to greener pastures when they are either a 1700 student HS 6A or, if by some miracle they only have 1400 students at the new high school, a 5A school with some of the best athletes in Sullivan County. Central is split up, East gets some students from Central that, hey maybe they can help a little bit, who knows, but East will still be just trying to survive with Greeneville and Betsy in the conference.

Grainger unloads after this year, Union is Union... I mean 4A Region 1 is almost like the DB SH region 1.  Two top teams, who cares about the rest.

5A Region 1 has the same problem 4A region 1 had last year, eventually you run into Knox Central, Fulton, and Catholic on a long march that ends with you losing year in and year out.

Let's be for real, we only have 10-15 years left of football in the country anyway.

Greeneville only has I believe three seniors this year. I don’t believe Betsy stands a chance at stopping greeneville this year or even next year. The only team I see stopping Greeneville is well Greeneville. I expect nothing less than 15-0 and state champions this year. Back to back hopefully next year 

Clark is already blaming this on the refs in the Kingsport paper.  Wow, how low can you go?  

Quoting the K T-N:

“I don’t know when I’ve ever been more heartbroken for a bunch of kids that played their hearts out,” said an emotional Graham Clark, D-B’s coach. “Our kids deserved to win that football game. We break up a pass on fourth down. They got one taken from them they deserved to win.”

and:

“We had two red-zone failures, got just three points out of those,” Clark said. “Did we need to make one or two more plays to win? Yes. Did we need to make one more first down? Yes. Then to get that penalty called, our kids didn’t deserve that.”

I was at the game, sitting on the home side, on the baseball field end, with an excellent view of Clark's penalty that he is busting on.  The DB kid had wrapped the Alcoa receiver with his offside arm and took him down to the turf.  He was beat and got caught.  Coach Clark needs to stop playing his little blame game, issue an apology and consider stepping down.  He can take that "Winningest Program in Tennessee" home with him too.  Wow, poor character.  

1 hour ago, Pudding said:

Clark is already blaming this on the refs in the Kingsport paper.  Wow, how low can you go?  

Quoting the K T-N:

“I don’t know when I’ve ever been more heartbroken for a bunch of kids that played their hearts out,” said an emotional Graham Clark, D-B’s coach. “Our kids deserved to win that football game. We break up a pass on fourth down. They got one taken from them they deserved to win.”

and:

“We had two red-zone failures, got just three points out of those,” Clark said. “Did we need to make one or two more plays to win? Yes. Did we need to make one more first down? Yes. Then to get that penalty called, our kids didn’t deserve that.”

I was at the game, sitting on the home side, on the baseball field end, with an excellent view of Clark's penalty that he is busting on.  The DB kid had wrapped the Alcoa receiver with his offside arm and took him down to the turf.  He was beat and got caught.  Coach Clark needs to stop playing his little blame game, issue an apology and consider stepping down.  He can take that "Winningest Program in Tennessee" home with him too.  Wow, poor character.  

You probably had a good view of some fool on the visitors side wearing green making a chop motion to go for a touchdown instead of A field goal. What was that guy thinking ?  No doubt Butch Jones would have also went the sure route and took the safe 3.Well,most coaches not wearing green would have also kicked it.My thought was this.You got an offensive line that is maybe 50 pounds bigger per man and a back that looked to be getting 5 per carry and he must have went 260 pounds.  You don't make the early nail in the coffin ? Well you still got a 7 point lead and they are backed up on their own goal line.Play to win !  Yeah,Im no coach but then again I didn't let three big leads slip away already this year either.Now,these three games are usely reserved for the playoffs like McMinn county and so on.SO,maybe DB has all that out of the way.With the way the players played against Greeneville and Alcoa,there is no doubt in my mind that this team has the ability to go deep in the playoffs.I'd love to have seen all the studs from this senior class out there with a coach and strength program like Greeneville has.Shoot ,one of those kids was bigger and more athletic as a 9th grader then anyone on the team today.Politics and horse sht can take a sure thing and make the band shine even brighter.STILL,there is plenty enough talent to go deep this year.PLAY TO WIN

Edited by BatmanDevil

17 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Maybe this should be it's own thread, but here goes:

Can raw talent on the field make up for coaching mediocrity?

My answer in a question and this tickled the sht out of Batman...( Who won the Dobyns Bennett vs Greeneville game ) there is your answer

Edited by BatmanDevil

2 hours ago, Pudding said:

Quoting the K T-N:

and:

Don't think he said ever said it was a bad call. He did say that "our kids didn't deserve that" and that "Our kids deserved to win".

Big difference and a problem they've had over there for a long time. We are DB, so we deserve it!

1 hour ago, jhilts said:

Don't think he said ever said it was a bad call. He did say that "our kids didn't deserve that" and that "Our kids deserved to win".

Big difference and a problem they've had over there for a long time. We are DB, so we deserve it!

Splitting hairs, my friend.  It's obvious to all what Coach Clark meant.  The FACT that he was jogging to try to "talk to" the referees after the game, may color that for ya a bit.  He thought the call was wrong, and that they were wronged, and the fact is, Clark is wrong.  No Mayberry jokes this week.

54 minutes ago, Pudding said:

Splitting hairs, my friend.  It's obvious to all what Coach Clark meant.  The FACT that he was jogging to try to "talk to" the referees after the game, may color that for ya a bit.  He thought the call was wrong, and that they were wronged, and the fact is, Clark is wrong.  No Mayberry jokes this week.

Well said! +1

• Upvote 1

Just now, Pudding said:

The comment in the paper was a CYA. He knew that loss was on him because he made some bad coaching decisions during the game. He has to know by now that his defense is like screen wire trying to hold water. You can't match touchdowns with field goals. He got scared and kicked a field goal hoping Alcoa would have a turn over.  It has to be that because nobody is that stupid.

• Like 1